Mar 28, 2024, 08:50 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Re: Re: Solar TARDIS lamp

Started by TG, Jun 19, 2005, 09:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TG

Jun 19, 2005, 09:17 am Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 10:53 pm by Scarfwearer
As my TARDIS is going to live outside I've been looking into fitting a solar light in the lamp. I found a solar garden light with a nice curved top that I took apart and put on the lens - but maybe it's not curved enough?

The nice thing about solar lights, apart from being free to run and that they automatically switch on every evening, is that the bulb is tiny, LED size, leaving room for a normal bulb too if you want one.

This may appear that I'm building from the top down - but it's just that my woodwork isn't quite ready for inspection  :)
Not quite Mackenzie Trench - but do you think it will look OK??

lamp001.jpg
lamp003.jpg

Volpone

Nov 30, 2011, 07:34 pm #1 Last Edit: Nov 30, 2011, 11:40 pm by rassilonsrod
Great minds!  This is almost exactly how I built my lamp.  Rather than start a new thread I'll provide my materials source links here.  

This is the lamp I have for my back patio:  click here.  Lowe's used to carry replacement glass for around $2-3 bucks, but I can't find it on their website and they haven't had it the last couple times I've been in the store.  

This is the solar lamp I used:  click here.

I got a 68 cent plastic plate at Wal*Mart.  (Can't find a link for that.)

I ditched the rest of the lamp, Dremel'ed a hole in the center of the plate and siliconed the lamp to it.  The rest was just some molding trim, dowels, glue, screws, paint, and creative engineering.  

(I may post the link to the lens in one more place because it seems people work hard to find a good one.)
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

TG

My old solar lamp top has given up so I've been on a search for a new domed solar top for it (which has been difficult) but I've now found this, better than the last one!

https://www.lights.co.uk/nela-led-solar-light-for-the-garden.html
TG-solar-light-for tardis-lamp.jpg
It has six tiny super bright LEDs

I still need to paint the metal bit blue but I had to try it in place, such a nice high dome, to me it looks much more Brachacki/Police box lamp  :)

TG-replacement-solar-tardis-lamp.jpg

karsthotep

that does look very very nice in place.  Wow, nice find. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

alistair

That looks ideal TG. My top light has also died so I have just ordered one of these, thanks for the pointer.

TG

Replacement Solar lamp still working: November 2021
I love to see it lighting up earlier as the Autumn nights draw in. It flashes for a short time before the steady glow.

12Nov21-Tardis_4.15pm.jpg

Angelus Lupus

Beautiful! I've said before that the location of your box is perfect, somehow it just looks like it's right out of an episode: Nearing twilight, the lantern lights up, and a path of autumn leaves is leading you to the Tardis and adventure!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

redfern

I love that your latest lamp, while LED, glows a "warm" yellowish tint rather than a "cold" blue-white glare solid state lighting often gives.  It just feels more "inviting".

Sincerely,

Bill