Mar 29, 2024, 12:11 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Questions about season 20 lamp

Started by Osiran, Mar 25, 2021, 11:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Osiran

Hi all,

I'm just starting my latest 1/6 scale model build, which is the 1983 version from season 20. I just have some questions about the lamp.

1) Was the lamp on a platform (block) or just sitting on the roof?

2) Did the lamp housing have 3 or 4 struts, and what were the location of these struts in relation to the box?

Thanks again for any help on this.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes". The 4th Doctor

alextheyellowthing

Mar 25, 2021, 12:07 pm #1 Last Edit: Mar 25, 2021, 12:32 pm by alextheyellowthing
looking at some photos, it looks like the lamp was 3 strut and directly on the roof. about the orientation, it varies (even in the same story).
frome some making of of the McCoy era, i've seen that it had 2 sides with opening doors (front and back). i do'nt know if ti is the case with that prop, i'd say it's likely that, but it can just be that the roof got mounted in a diferent orientaion on each location shoot day.

Kings demon
Kings Demons 01  cont.jpgKings Demons 01.jpgKings Demons 03  cont.jpgKings Demons 03.jpgKings Demons 07  cont.jpgKings Demons 07.jpgKings Demons 12  cont.jpgKings Demons 12.jpg

Mawdryn Undead
Mawdryn Undead 05  cont.jpgMawdryn Undead 05.jpgMawdryn Undead 08  cont.jpgMawdryn Undead 08.jpgMawdryn Undead 16  cont.jpgMawdryn Undead 18  cont.jpgMawdryn Undead 18.jpgThe Five Doctors 07  cont.jpg

alextheyellowthing

i hope this will help
and credits for the caps goes to @warmcanofcoke

cobalt

Quote from: alextheyellowthing on Mar 25, 2021, 12:07 pmlooking at some photos, it looks like the lamp was 3 strut and directly on the roof.

I'd always assumed that was the lamp from the Newbery. Considering that the box ended up as a hodge-podge of bits from both the Newbery and YJ in some episodes, it wouldn't be surprising.

Osiran

Thanks for all of your help.

I agree that it seems to have been put on different ways, sometimes with a rod at the front and sometimes at the back. I'm assuming it wasn't fixed to the roof long term. I think I'll just go with a rod at the front.

I'm pretty sure it's the Newbury lamp too. I built this lamp for my last build, and I can't see a single difference.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes". The 4th Doctor

alextheyellowthing

Quote from: Osiran on Mar 26, 2021, 12:00 pmThanks for all of your help.

I agree that it seems to have been put on different ways, sometimes with a rod at the front and sometimes at the back. I'm assuming it wasn't fixed to the roof long term. I think I'll just go with a rod at the front.

I'm pretty sure it's the Newbury lamp too. I built this lamp for my last build, and I can't see a single difference.

Concider it could have opening doors on both the front and back

Kingpin

For Season 20, the lamp on TY-J MK1 prop had the lamp sitting flush against the peak of the roof, much like how it had been for the prop's debut year during series 18.

The lamp received the block/plinth during the filming of Logopolis, which mirrored the new roof on the refurbished Newberry prop):

Newbery Logopolis 17 TYJ comp .jpg

The block/plinth hung around until the end of series 19.