Apr 19, 2024, 10:03 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Bristol Police Box

Started by mikey, Jun 13, 2021, 10:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Teppic

Jul 02, 2021, 08:15 pm #30 Last Edit: Jul 02, 2021, 09:34 pm by Teppic
And here it is flipped, so that the top signs with POLICE on them are the right way round.

CF762F49-B65D-467D-96D2-B53D7A16F8C2.jpeg

mikey

The original is some kind of metal plate with the image engraved/etched into it. I assume the plate was used in a printing press, hence it is flipped the wrong way round.
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

mikey

This is a positive print taken from the metal plate and pasted to the back of it. Thank you @dr hue for the excellent photo editing. Much more exciting than anything else that's happening today.

74C8C01A-B3BE-41B6-A42F-FE27A58542FE.png
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: mikey on Jul 11, 2021, 04:20 pmThis is a positive print taken from the metal plate and pasted to the back of it. Thank you @dr hue for the excellent photo editing. Much more exciting than anything else that's happening today.

Oh, is something else happening today?

Francïs
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

mikey

Nothing worth mentioning

lym

Been looking back at this and I noticed something interesting that diverges significantly from the Met Mark 1s: there's only two steps under the lintels and the dividing strip only goes up to the steps (like the Brachacki box) rather than all the way up to the lintels!

Wish we could see the front, I imagine there'd probably be some wacky stuff going on there too.

lym

Aug 14, 2021, 04:48 pm #36 Last Edit: Aug 14, 2021, 05:19 pm by lym
Just saw this and about had a heart attack! Was reverse image searching the Ashcombe Avenue box to see if there was a higher resolution anywhere and was brought to a page which happened to feature this image. Seems that they were green and had two front panels, too...

2014-10-30-15.25.12.jpg

Turns out it's been on the internet since at least 2014 and flew under our radar: https://blogs.baruch.cuny.edu/ipaprocessing/2014/11/its-bigger-on-the-inside/

Also the fencing around this photo makes me believe that this indeed may be the same Sea Mills box which kicked off this topic?

peterjohn

Brilliant find  Lym......Also some other good "boxes" on that page (South Shields is still my second Favourite!)  ;)

Angelus Lupus

Green and cream... that's an unexpected livery on a near-metbox type, although that puts it in the same colours as Sheffield. 
Interesting that linked site gives colours for other boxes, including a maroon door for Bootle (might be worth cross-posting for reference?)
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

mikey

Aug 15, 2021, 09:43 am #39 Last Edit: Aug 15, 2021, 09:59 am by mikey
Amazing @lym didn't expect to see another photo so soon! I think the thing on the door is the fire alarm.

Looks like there is some flashing above the police sign.

Can anyone make out the location of the last box/pillar on the page?

peterjohn

Sea Mills Square - 23 Jul 1972...What is that I can see straight through the Bus doors and out the other side......  ;D

286432344_1175093989979192_7170660956797912627_n.jpg

Darren451

From the Bristol Museums website December 2021:

https://www.bristolmuseums.org.uk/blog/have-you-seen-the-tardis/

"From 1938 there were numerous reports of peeling paint, leaks, damaged or sticking doors and broken locks. The roofs were concrete, supported on wooden pillars which were prone to rot. Deterioration led to the decision in 1944 to replace all 13 with smaller police pillars.

Not all of Bristol's police boxes seem to have vanished right away and at least one was repurposed.

Residents in Sea Mills remember their old police box being used by the local lollipop lady to store her lollipop as late as the 1970s. Or perhaps it was the Doctor?

Information about the placement of police boxes in Bristol can be found in document Pol/SP/4/2 at Bristol Archives."

Darren451

Quote from: mikey on Jun 14, 2021, 07:32 amPublished locations of the initial 12 here in 1932

6AF5C109-174A-45FE-97FF-2F259D004A8C.jpeg

A couple of views of the Cheddar Grove police box from the Historic England aerial photography website, on the right of the green with a pale roof...
cheddar grove pb1a.jpg
cheddar grove pb2a.jpg

mikey

lym

Mad that all of this info has been rediscovered in just the past couple of years, when it seemed like Trench-like boxes outside of London/Glasgow (and occasionally surrounding areas) were just a myth. Makes me very hopeful to find out what other oddities are discovered next!