Apr 18, 2024, 03:38 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Gravesend Police Box

Started by mikey, May 30, 2021, 10:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

I though with Gravesend being so close to London it might be a likely place to have had Trench boxes. But it turns out they had the odd mock gothic boxes attributed to Ramsgate.

2F5C3F30-8684-4047-8928-58E36E996247.jpeg

5EFD8333-F4A9-4D43-85CA-FFC0B9E9544A.jpeg
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

peterjohn

I want whatever the designer of this box was on!! :o
Wow..What an ugly looking box...Sort of like a deformed version of a Trench Box!  ???

dr hue

1954 Map:

gravesend-pmap-1954-pngM.png

Seemed to be at least two other PCB's and a PTP in Gravesend

mikey

May 31, 2021, 07:31 am #3 Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 07:35 am by mikey
I've noted 6 boxes so far.

East Milton Road by the Prince of Wales PH and St Peter's and St Paul's Church.

Junction of Rochester Road and Lower Higham Road.

Rochester road near junction of castle lane.

Echo Square

Crossroads of Wrotham Road and Cross Lane West.

Corner of Wrotham Road and Watling Street

I really should keep a record of the PTP's as well.
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

mikey

A cropped version of this photo has been on the net for years mistakenly identified as a Ramsgate box. It is a Gravesend box on the promenade. The lady in the photo is PC Amy Tap

A7A3A497-B107-4EF7-801B-D93E10A6D7E9.jpeg

kutan66

This design is like when you take the pieces off Mr Potato Head and put them back on in the wrong place.. and then add some different bits from Buckeroo!

Angelus Lupus

True, I mean the door and window panel look like an afterthought, but I quite like the roof. It's certainly not the ugliest alternative Police Box design.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Volpone

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Jun 16, 2021, 10:14 amTrue, I mean the door and window panel look like an afterthought, but I quite like the roof. It's certainly not the ugliest alternative Police Box design.
If I weren't lazy, I'd put together a side-by-side of the Barnet Bypass box and this one with the "NAILED IT" meme. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Angelus Lupus

You could create a sort of 'rogues gallery' ranging from most to least Met like  :)
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.