Apr 19, 2024, 01:05 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Oak TARDIS Time Cabinet

Started by kutan66, Apr 18, 2019, 07:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kutan66

Thomas has been watching the Harry Potter films recently.

This morning he said, "Daddy, when you are at work today, can you make me the Elder Wand?"

(Its the (most powerful) wand, used by Dumbledore and Grindelwald if yer dinna ken.)

I'm not entirely sure what he thinks I do do at work!   But inspired by Russell's endless enthusiasm for making models I thought I'd make an effort when I finished what I was supposed to be doing!

So, armed with nothing more than a scale drawing I found, a belt sander and a tree.. I managed to knock this one out.. and I don't think its bad for the short time it took!

ElderWandSm.jpg

[Cue obligatory Tardis background shot!]

ThomasElderWand13March2021sm.jpg

alextheyellowthing

You're the cool est dad ever man. I would have killed for the model i currently have made or the CO toys as a kid. So that, thoses kids must be very lucky X)

russellsuthern

Looks great!

What's the difference between a Potter wand & a sonic screwdriver?
Not much, I think...
Let's face it- they're both magic!!!

Regards,

Russell

Volpone

It's the rock-scissors-paper of geekdom:  sonic, wand, lightsaber.  Just don't ask me to figure out the rules.  Maybe sonic disables lightsaber, lightsaber chops wand, wand turns sonic into a flower. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

alextheyellowthing

Quote from: russellsuthern on Mar 14, 2021, 08:47 amLooks great!

What's the difference between a Potter wand & a sonic screwdriver?
Not much, I think...
Let's face it- they're both magic!!!

Regards,

Russell

Wands works on wood...

kutan66

Jun 05, 2021, 10:45 am #170 Last Edit: Jun 05, 2021, 10:47 am by kutan66
In the middle of building this we went to Japan.  I usually have a camcorder with me and over years I've taken a bit of video here and there - of the kids and days out and things.  I finished one memory card while we were away, and began a second.  The second one stayed in the camera for maybe 10 months, so contained video of 3 hours+ of events from May 2019 to March 2020, including some of the Police Box being built.

Unfortunately this memory card became unreadable - in fact so bad that when in the camera the camera wouldnt work! (I bought a new camera - then found the old one did work when I took that card out!)

With the memory card, I tried the usual recovery programs, but it was so fried that the pc wouldn't even recognise that there was a memory card in the slot.   I thought we'd lost it all.

A year later an old friend got in touch and we began chatting about this and that.  He does 'computery things'(!)  He suggested I send it to him and he'd have a look.  He looked and said it was definitely fried as it was.    But he'd take it to a data recovery company he knew and see if anything on it was still recoverable.

Anyway, they had to do some 'technical' things with it, but most was recovered!   He paid their bill as a present though.. (which was very kind of him) so I dont know how much it cost.  But I do suspect it was a LOT!   

But the upshot of it is..  we have Tardis build video again!

Tardis Video pic 2.jpg

Tardis Video pic 1.jpg

Happy Saturday All!
Ian