Apr 18, 2024, 05:52 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Dumbarton Police Box

Started by mikey, Apr 11, 2021, 09:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Apr 11, 2021, 09:54 pm Last Edit: Apr 11, 2021, 10:23 pm by mikey
One of three Glasgow style Trench boxes in Dumbarton 13 miles from Glasgow. I don't believe these where under Glasgow City Police. Reportedly painted green though it looks like it could just as easily be blue. From VE Day footage 1945 long before Glasgow's boxes stopped being red.

C24109D9-F4D7-4377-B251-145BB93C796A.jpeg

27D005D3-CBBD-4464-958A-5046B947469E.jpeg
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Kingpin

Apr 12, 2021, 07:56 am #1 Last Edit: Apr 12, 2021, 08:02 am by Kingpin
A slightly clearer shot:

Dunbarton.jpg

Location is the High Street, just part where it junctions with Quay Street (specifically just to the side of the Dunbarton Credit Union):

Dunbarton2d.jpg

Angelus Lupus

Quote from: mikey on Apr 11, 2021, 09:54 pm... Reportedly painted green though it looks like it could just as easily be blue...
Well, there's blue-ish colour near the box that looks different to the box colour, so it could mean the box is green. On the other hand, it could be a result of a blue-with-green-tones that's in shadow, and the increased saturation of the image makes it seem green. Compare with the very blue shade of the buildings near the bus. Finally: I see no clear shadows, which probably means it was overcast, and that would also affect the colours. 

I'm leaning towards it being green, possibly because I've never seen a box that colour (not counting that CBD dispensary one) and I'd like to. Definitely isn't red, though.
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

mikey

Apr 12, 2021, 10:50 am #3 Last Edit: Apr 12, 2021, 01:07 pm by mikey
So would I!

Also I was wrong there were at least 6 boxes in Dumbarton, 5 kiosks presumably of the Glasgow design and 1 larger box that doubled as an ARP wardens post.

Junction of Brucehill Road and Ardoch Cresent Large brick box former ARP Station.
High Street.
Junction of Pinderfold Terrace and Bonhill Road.
Junction of Townend Road and Sterling Road.
East End Park Gates, Glasgow Road.
Junction of Bridgend Clydeshore Road and Bridge Street.
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

mikey

Dumbartons families Old and new !! Never forgotten and always loved! - police box.jpg

Nice clear pic of this box.

alexcutler

Nice to see the signs lit up, given the rudimentary nature of the light-bulb set-up inside the box, slightly surprised no light bleeding to the windows though, although that may just be the daylight offsetting it.

Kingpin

Feb 14, 2024, 12:23 am #6 Last Edit: Feb 14, 2024, 10:45 am by Kingpin
Quote from: alexcutler on Feb 12, 2024, 04:43 pmNice to see the signs lit up, given the rudimentary nature of the light-bulb set-up inside the box, slightly surprised no light bleeding to the windows though, although that may just be the daylight offsetting it.

They're not illuminated, the top signs had dark letters against a light backing, in contrast to the England-based boxes which tended to have light letters on a dark backing:

gettyimages-77854296-2048x2048b.jpg
https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=10705.0