V30 Southeast corner of junction of Coombe Lane and Wyke Road, Raynes Park

Started by peterjohn, Apr 10, 2021, 06:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

peterjohn

This Photo from 1934 is believed to be Half of V30 Southeast corner of junction of Coombe Lane and Wyke Road, Raynes Park.
I can't find any previous mention of V30 on here, So I'm assuming this is a "new" Photo!  ;) 

Oops too big..I need to reduce to below 512 KB!   ::)

V30 Southeast corner of junction of Coombe Lane and Wyke Road, Raynes Park.jpg

dr hue

Thanks for posting this new picture Peter.

I don't think this is V30 as I can't see any sign of the train station in the picture and the layout doesn't look right.

1950's map:

v30-map.png

Google View:

v30-google.jpg

peterjohn

I totally agree dr hue...It looks more "Country-fied"
I can just make the word "Hill" out on that left hand sign!  ???
Time to call in an Expert......... ;)

PJ

dr hue

Yes does look like Hill. The word before looks a bit like London . Might be lane on the end of the other sign.

Sorry to be a pain but you said you had to reduce image to fit 512K.

Any chance you could upload a section with the signs at the highest resolution you have
( in sections if need be ) and I'll try and enhance them ?

What made you think it was V30 ? Where did you find this image ? Any more info with it ? 1934 - where did that info come from ?

peterjohn

No different on the original I did trying blowing it up myself but just too blurred!
I have emailed hb88banzai or maybe RealboxMike can help?
It was hb88banzai (I believe) who titled it on the original Met Box List?
So it may already be on here in another thread somewhere.....

scotland yard

I *think* that after "Hill", the sign reads "Edgw" before being cut off by the traffic light.
I suppose it's a box in or around Mill Hill?
Oh my giddy aunt!!

peterjohn

Even blown up..Nothing else shows up apart from....
I think the box is in a "Something...Something...Lane"  :-\

Screenshot 2021-04-10 140114.jpg

hb88banzai

Interesting pic.

First I've seen of it, so none of the data regarding it came from me.

I'm pretty certain it's not V30 though, as none of the topography on the ordnance maps for the area behind V30 corresponds to what we can see in the photo, nor does the street layout.

If the date of 1934 is at all reliable, then this would have to be a fairly important junction for it to have traffic lights at that early a date.

Pic is a bit too blurry to reliably make out the street signs, unfortunately. It's also really unfortunate the map links no longer work (thanks Google), and it seems the Metbox Database is still not back up since the 'troubles', so two major tools for locating this Box are no longer available to us.

In an initial search through my Metbox list hard copies though, I don't see anything that seems to correlate to a something "Hill" as a cross street with the Box on a something "Lane" in a rural setting with similar layout. At least nothing jumps out. About the closest I got was P48 at Saltbox Hill and Westerham Road, Biggin Hill.

BoundryHopper

Might be Mill instead of Hill. Saying that they might not be road signs even.

Back in 1934 many parts of what is now greater London was countryside, so could be somewhere that is now completely built up and over.

hb88banzai

Sorry, forgot to mention, but I searched for "Mill" as well - even less to choose from there, at least as far as street names.

dr hue

Don't think its P48

1964 map

p48-map-1964-jpg2.jpg

Also P48 commissioned  05-Jan-49  to  26 Jun 70

hb88banzai

OK, I think I may have it...

V31 on Robin Hood Way just north of Coombe Lane.

Picture taken at the outbreak of WWII has a sign there that says "Coombe Hill Riding School" --

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4378.msg81287#msg81287

Note that the wartime pic shows some changes to the fence line, but if you look at the following pic from 1938, it shows a fence just like the one in the c1934 photo --

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?msg=130883

peterjohn

dr hue

Fantastic  hb88banzai

V31
A.R.W. Siren
13-Oct-30
Aug 67
Robin Hood Way, west side 25 yards north of Coombe Lane
District: Wimbledon
Subdivison:  Wimbledon

"Coombe Hill Riding School"  clinches it.

v31-coombe-hill.png

orig-coombe-sign-defocused.png

v31-map-png.png

Britain From Above 1938 ( rear view ):

v31-1938-bFA2.png

1945:

v31-1945-map-png.png