Apr 16, 2024, 02:46 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

8th Doctor Console

Started by oslm, Jul 23, 2014, 02:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oslm

Mcgann Console Room Stage unfinished.jpg

It is getting close to coming back and finishing this thread -- It has been to long since I did real work on this piece -- Once I finish my current project, I will be coming back to this one --

More to come,

Oslm

oslm

Hello,

Time to add some update images for this thread -- More progress to come in the near future.

Enjoy.

Console top view.jpg

Console front view.jpg

amachielson

I loved putting together this kit!FBC674A9-9F85-4BE6-B8D2-31BA2682A2F5.jpegDBA209E6-BC85-466F-B974-953DD821D41B.jpeg

Kingpin

A work of art, stood atop another work of art. :)

oslm

That turned out great, you matched the reddish brown of the console perfectly -- Let me know if you want the revised upper time rotor enclosure file and I will send it to you.

Excellent work.

oslm

From a 3D model:
Console scanner Mray test 1b.jpg

To a physical model:
scanner 3d.jpg

and the work continues on this set, both physical and digital versions.

Later

Volpone

Amazing.  We've gotten to the point where the virtual model looks more real than the real model. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

d33j r093r5

Can't believe I've only just found this build diary! A modeler after my own heart... aside from the painting and the sanding and the finishing, that is  ;D . I work in Solidworks, and have a couple of Wanhao printers. I've also done a few builds on the forum as well. Question: I believe you're working in Autodesk 3D Studio, so it's probably rhetorical, but... HOW ON EARTH DID YOU MODEL THOSE CLAWS ON THE FEET??!!  :o :o :D They're amazing, and I'm insanely jealous that I haven't the first clue as to how to do something like that precisely in Solidworks. Pretty sure it's possible using the freeform tool, but it seems a bit clunky and clumsy. Mind you, I haven;t had much experience with it; my knowledge of 3D modelling comes through engineering, not a lot of "sculpting" going on there... anyway, hyperbole aside, I'm genuinely curious as to how you modeled those claws; they seem kinda perfect! :)

D.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?

oslm

Hi D33,

Thanks for reading the build log, I am glad that you enjoyed the level of detail that I put into my work -- I am working with Autodesk 3dsmax for this build and interested to hear that you use Solidworks for your designs -- I am aware of that program and the last time I played around with it was about 5 years ago

As for the clawfeet, from what I can remember I used a number of cylinders and capsules for the parts of the feet -- These were then heavily modified with free form deformers, bends and various tapers -- I then applied each individual toes onto the curved wooden leg portion and made a lot of fine tuned detail work -- 

Here are a few images to show the details --

Clawfoot side profile.jpg   

Clawfoot side profile 2.jpg

Clawfoot front profile.jpg

So I hope that this answers your question and thank you again for viewing this thread.

Later

Oslm

d33j r093r5

Jan 18, 2020, 03:50 am #204 Last Edit: Jan 18, 2020, 03:54 am by d33j r093r5
Thanks for that Oslm. Guessing either the left or right claw was modelled, and the result mirrored around the centre-of-the-ball plane. Which is similar to how you might do it in Solidworks. Unfortunately, it's designed more as an engineering and parametric design tool, which makes freeform items REALLY difficult, as they don't have proper sculpting features, like Blendr or Rhino (and which I'm not so familiar with. However, I was inspired by this to start modelling my own 1996 Console Room. THis is where I've currently got to:

1996 Console Assembly 001_200118_014.jpg

... although, I have to say, not nearly as nice or as detailed as yours! Look forward to seeing more... :)

D.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?

oslm

Hi D33,

Thanks for the comments and your set really looks great -- Excellent work --

I can't remember which file format you can use to import other file types into solidworks.

If I can figure it out I am willing to send you the completed claw foot files to use with your design.

If you do know which file types will work, send me a PM and I will see if I can convert the file for you.

Later

Oslm

oslm

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've done an update on this thread so here is where this project is currently sitting at.

1st of all, I have done some rework of the parts to make them better for 3D printing in either PLA or resin.  I have also created new files for allowing the main support struts to be laser cut or printed.  I think this will make it easier for those that don't want to tie-up there 3D printer with a long build.

But the BIG NEWS is that I am working with TVM producer Philip Segal so that he can build this for the fans to follow along with him.  He has all of the pieces almost ready to go and he is very excited to start this build.

Phil has his own Youtube channel called Sprueverse and he will be posting updates on this build there as well as on his instagram account.

For those of you who want to see the first part, here is a link for you to watch.

I hope you guys will take some time to view Phil's work and if you have any questions please let me know.

Later

Oslm (Jeffrey)

davidnagel

Not that I don't want to sit through Phil Segal talking about his movie console, does he share any notes of interest about the film and the prop in the video?

BTW, love your renders!
Regards
David

oslm

In this one he does explain what happened to the original console, the full size police box and discusses how the set was built (the type of material used). 

He will be going into other details with the next update on the build.

It is kind of fun to watch his level of excitement for getting a chance to rebuild something that he hasn't seen in many years.

Thanks David, have a good day.