Apr 25, 2024, 08:59 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Animated Lamp with Crystal Bulb

Started by thatdecade, Jul 13, 2021, 08:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thatdecade

I took a crack at making my lamp from scratch.  Light animations are controlled from a phone app.  I really like how the crystalline bulb turned out.  It is mesmerizing to watch.

IMG_1123_800.jpg
IMG_1134.MOV.jpg

Parts Used:

Volpone

Looks like you've got a nice Fresnel lens too.  I've just got a glass lamp chimney shaped like a Fresnel and it looks OK in daylight, but it isn't very nice lit up.  (A lot cheaper, though.) 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

thatdecade

Thanks. I was really excited to find the glass for $3 sold by itself.

elkad

the way the lights act, I swore I thought is was a plasma light.  :o

elkad

IDEA: Make a Tardis Lamp Plasma Ball Light....Oooo that would be cool.

Volpone

At the risk of asking a stupid question, is this virtual?  It looks like a physical prop, but reading the thread title and everything else and squinting at the thing just right makes me wonder if this is actually CGI. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

elkad

IDEA: how about making a Armageddon Factor Mentalice war computer... modle :D
with the same lighting, Id look grate.

thatdecade

Jul 20, 2021, 11:35 am #7 Last Edit: Jul 21, 2021, 12:34 am by thatdecade
Quote from: Volpone on Jul 16, 2021, 02:28 pmis this virtual?

3D printed. Has about a dozen pieces that were glued together. The light and glass help hide the print lines.

Volpone

HA!  We've gotten to the point with CGI and photoshop where real things look virtual.  There's a picture of my A-Team van that is a cell phone snap, but even though I'm the one that took the picture, part of me looks at it and says "that looks photoshopped." 
-The Doctor.