News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:13 Newbery tardis

Started by who.collector, Jan 14, 2021, 03:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

who.collector

Jan 14, 2021, 03:06 pm Last Edit: Jan 14, 2021, 03:16 pm by who.collector
Hello TARDISbuilders!

I recently started to put together a 1:13 scale model of the Newbery Tardis and I thought it might be worth starting a build diary on this model. My initial aim for this model is to have it as accurate as possible to the original prop and to be in scale with the CO figures but I don't think my abilities are good enough to allow me to make a completely screen accurate model, so I'm aiming to just make an improvement on my previous attempt at this Tardis. (Screen adequate? or is that term reserved for cosplay?)

Firstly below are some pictures of my original model, this was made from 2.5mm Laser cut plywood and I used files that were kindly supplied by a friend of mine (@custom_doctor_who on Instagram) these files were probably as accurate as you could get using laser but I think the plywood was a little too thick so the model doesn't look quite right, another issue with laser cutting this Tardis is that you can't get the panel bevels with a laser cutter! On a larger scale model I suppose you could sand them into the model or sculpt them on somehow but I was worried that would turn out messy, I also made a couple of mistakes when assembling this model such as gluing the sign boxes up too high which didn't help the overall accuracy either.

Capture 1.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 3.JPG

I'll stop rambling now and get onto this new model, I started off by designing the model full size in Sketchup 2017, I used the fantastic plans made by Tony Farrell (which actually made me want to make a model of the Newbery prop as it was drawn up in the plans) and after a bit of playing about I came up with this:

3.png
2.png
1.png

I also made another version with the larger TYJ style roof, this is so that the roofs can be switched out with one another and it can also double as a logopolis police box (which I personally prefer over the 'normal' Newbery). Screenshots below:

6.png
5.png
4.png

This model may not be perfect but I think it is good enough for my purposes so I went ahead with making this. The model was designed to come apart into (mostly) flat pieces, the reason for this was to make it as easy to sand down smooth as possible, I used a similar method on my model of the original Brackaki and it worked out well.
Then it was onto the fun part, 3D PRINTING! (It's in bold for dramatic effect) I printed this all in PLA on a low layer height to minimise layer visibility and make it easier to sand. Which turned out reasonably well, although a bit of filler might come in handy at some stage. So far it looks like this:

Capture 4.JPG
Capture 5.JPG
Capture 6.JPG
Capture 7.JPG

It is not much at the moment but I am rather happy with how it is turning out so far, the panel bevels look okay but they could probably do with a bit more sanding, I have all the pieces printed but im just putting it all together in my spare time so it is slow progress. The new model is noticeably larger than my old model, that is because the old model is 1:14 (to be in scale with the CO Tardises) and the new model is in 1:13 (to be in scale with the figures instead of the Tardises). It also means that a hatted Tom figure fits in the doorway.
"Every great decision creates ripples, like a boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound in unforeseeable ways. The heavier the decision, the larger the waves, the more uncertain the consequences" - Seventh Doctor

who.collector

Update:

This has been quite a productive week on this model and I've got a lot done! Firstly I completed the basic construction of this model, the part that took the longest was sanding down the panel bevels but overall it only took a couple of days to completely come together.  I decided to stray away from the prop a little bit and add a back wall. It has helped the model be a bit sturdier and if I do decide to add lights then it will hopefully help to keep the light inside the box although of course it sacrifices a bit of accuracy from the original prop. The door ended up working very well and can move really freely, in order to keep it closed I added a locking mechanism behind the left hand door which keeps the door tightly shut. The details I've added are the little hook on the left hand wall (does anyone know why that is there?), the piece of broken glass on the right window of the left hand wall and the repaired window piece on the right hand door. Some photos of the primed model are below:

Capture 8.JPG
Capture 9.JPG
Capture 11.JPG
Capture 12.JPG

Next step was to paint it! (always one of my least favorite steps) So far I've only got one coat down to give the model a bit of a texture, the colour here is not going to be the final colour. The current colour is too bright and probably has too much indigo in it but I will rectify these issues with the next coat of paint. (Note: the windows are just a stand in as they're actually the windows for the left wall.)

Capture 17.JPG
Capture 14.JPG
Capture 16.JPG

I'm not entirely happy with the overall silhouette of this box, I cant quite place my finger on what is wrong with it, but something is definitely off. I don't think I would be able to change it without completely remaking the whole box, so this model might be one that I'll have to remake in the future as I'm not too happy with how this is turning out.

To quote the second doctor: "oh, I can see you've been doing the Tardis up  bit... I don't like it"

Hopefully I'll be able to finish painting this box within the next week!
"Every great decision creates ripples, like a boulder dropped in a lake. The ripples merge and rebound in unforeseeable ways. The heavier the decision, the larger the waves, the more uncertain the consequences" - Seventh Doctor

russellsuthern

Well, it looks pretty good to me!

Russ

who.collector

Thank you  ;D

I might redo it in cad just to triple check I got everything right.

Volpone

I always say I hate the Newbery TARDIS.  But then someone will post a really well done one and looking at it, I'm 9 years old again and I've just biked home from school as fast as I could so I could catch the Doctor and Sarah's adventures on my local PBS station.  More proportionally accurate TARDISes are very nice, but none of them says "TARDIS" the way the Newbery does.  I see it and I expect to see a young Tom Baker come out of it. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

who.collector

The Newbery, as controversial as the design may be, does really embody the Tardis for some reason. Maybe its the clunky sign boxes or the battered windows. But it is without a doubt, THE Tom Baker Tardis.

cobalt

Quote from: who.collector on Jan 18, 2021, 03:38 pmThe Newbery, as controversial as the design may be, does really embody the Tardis for some reason. Maybe its the clunky sign boxes or the battered windows. But it is without a doubt, THE Tom Baker Tardis.

I've stated before that while it looks the least like a Police Box, it looks the most like a TARDIS.

Volpone

For me it's the roof.  Yes, the chopped-down and battered Barachaki set the precedent, but the Newbery has such a blatantly unapologetically flat roof.  Everything else is more or less normal.  Lacking the 1/4 rounds, the corner posts look even beefier than they would.  Then you've got this little tiny roof.  It's really to blame for me equating a police box to an old American phone booth. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

alextheyellowthing

very clean build, gg.

who.collector

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: cobalt on Jan 18, 2021, 11:27 pm
Quote from: who.collector on Jan 18, 2021, 03:38 pmBut it is without a doubt, THE Tom Baker Tardis.

I've stated before that while it looks the least like a Police Box, it looks the most like a TARDIS.

Due to childhood imprinting and its chunky solidity, the Newberry is the TARDIS I compare every other to.

But familiarity, no doubt due to longevity and the advent of home video recorders, made the TYJ my default TARDIS for many years.

Perhaps logically, for a long time my ideal design therefore along the lines of the Newberry refit and the Hudolin.

Ironically, given my initial recoiling from the Richmond/Thomas model, the definitive TARDIS for me is now the Richmond/Thomas refurb.

Francïs Snr
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

who.collector

Update:

Okay, so I've finished the basic painting. I've gone for quite a vibrant blue because I'm hoping that the dry brushing and the dark wash will tone it down a bit. Here's how it looks:

Capture 19.JPG Capture 18.JPG Capture 20.JPG

I mentioned previously that I felt something was off with the model. I decided to remake the model in SketchUp and found that I got one of the dimensions wrong... The width of the walls, so I guess this model is a slightly thinner Newbery. Ill probably end up remaking this model at some point in the future and there's a few details I didn't include in this one that the original prop had so this will likely require a revisit. Here are some pictures of the updated model, its amazing how much difference one dimension makes to the overall look of the box.

Capture 21.JPG Capture 22.JPG

Also, this is unrelated to this project but I thought you might be interested in an upcoming model. The Brackaki prop as it appeared in s12!

Capture 25.JPG Capture 23.JPG Capture 24.JPG

The Brackaki is my personal favorite prop so I'm going to try my best to do it justice!

Angelus Lupus

Jumping in with my own Newbery opinion: I'm also a fan of the 'chunkiness', the corner posts in particular give it a very solid feeling, but it is rather let down by the roof. I suppose it wouldn't have been too drastic a change at the time - after people were used to seeing the cut-down/re-made/Trigger's-broom Brachacki - but, compared to all other versions, it really doe stand out (ironically).

That said, it looks really good in those low-angle promo pictures of Davison, and putting a TYJ roof on really makes it imposing!

Also, the modelling work on this is impressive and the ways that can be transfered to a physical object (laser cutting or 3D printing) is amazing!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

who.collector

Update:

I'm mostly done with the weathering so far! I've dry brushed the whole box in a lighter shade of blue and I have given it an overall fifth wash, I'm pretty happy with how it has come out so far and I should be finished soon. I decided to paint the back of the windows red, I know this isn't entirely accurate but I think it helps make it look more like the full size prop appeared on screen. I'm going to get the signs printed and stuck in later and then I might go back in and do some dry brushing and weathering on the signs. But this is how it looks at the moment:

Capture 30.JPG Capture 28.JPG Capture 29.JPG Capture 26.JPG

Volpone

lol.  OCD TARDIS builders.  While I'm trying to *prevent* busted windows on my TARDIS, you're like "I need a busted window." 

Nice work on the red.  It does look good.  I'd have never guessed to use red.  I'm assuming the windows were fiberglass or something and had yellowed so that's the direction I'd have gone, forgetting the effect the dark interior would have on the hue.  Like...Matt?...on his Crich replica, using green for a weathering wash.  Blacks, greys, and browns are obvious choices for weathering but you'd certainly get some plant growth adding green shades.
-The Doctor.