Apr 19, 2024, 05:03 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Resolution Dalek Gunstick Build

Started by elkad, Dec 31, 2020, 05:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elkad

Resolution Dalek Gunstick Reference: https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=10658.msg128445#msg128445

Starting off measuring the main barrel pipe.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (1).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (2).jpg

elkad

The individual tabs on the barrel. Lining up the fins & ribs is going to be tricky. I'm going to have to do some serious measuring.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (3).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (4).jpg

elkad

Measured & drawn out a stencil to see if my measurements are correct.
I find there just slightly off. A gap between the fin bottom & the top of the barrel rings.
And as you can tell from the images, the fin & rib will be one peace.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (5).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (6).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (7).jpg

BTW, just watch the new episode of Doctor Who. I'm not going to give away any spoilers but, I did notice the guns of the new Drone Motel Dalek, I can't be sure but I think there a 6 ribs instead of the regular 8. ???

elkad

To get a level cut on the tube, use a measured ring piece of cardboard wrapped & glued. Mark the spot & slide the ring down to cut the PVC tube with a hacksaw. Little tip, when I made my cut I cut a little at a time & twisted the pipe away from me to make a cut line groove the saw could follow. I tried to cut in the forward direction & the saw bent & cut over the line.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (8).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (9).jpg

Sanded the cut rings on my drill lathe bit & cut some flatten PVC hole saw disks to make the angled ends.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (10).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (11).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (12).jpg

elkad

If I had a 2" wood dowel I could just have made a one piece gun bos.

Any way putting it together. 2" ring, 2" thick disk drimeled down to fit in the pipe ring, put the disk on a bolt with 2 thinner discs, glue & let dry & then glue to 2" ring. The process is the same with the 1 1/2" pipe ring.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (13).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (14).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (15).jpg

elkad

Jan 10, 2021, 07:06 pm #5 Last Edit: Jan 10, 2021, 07:13 pm by elkad
I use a 7/8" hole threw the two pieces of the back gun bos. It left a tab inside the hole & I remove it with my sanding dremel. Drilling the holes, some of the layers of PVC came apart & had to re-glue. I glued both halfs together & sanded down the rest of the angles on the boss. I sanded the back so the Sphere can fit flush with the bos.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (16).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (17).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (19).jpg

I found another way to find the center of a sphere half. I have a block witch I use when I use a hole saw on the drill press. I lined up the drill with the center hole on the block & placed the sphere in a hole cut line. (TIP: Drill slow so the sphere doesn't crack.)

(TIP: make sure your press is level.) I eventually found my drill press wasn't level one day, so I leveled it with one of those bubble levels. My cuts were still not level, manly because the table it was sitting on wasn't level, so I used a measuring square & a drill bit.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (18).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (20).jpg

next step will be the ribs

elkad

Sizing up my stencil to see if I got it straight.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (21).jpg

Cardinal Hordriss

I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

elkad

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Feb 15, 2021, 09:37 pmHi. How's this going?

I'm delaying my build, I've bin busy. I just got an order for another prop & I need to build that one before I can continue with this project.

I did get a little more done. Some details on the handle & half ball joint. Some of the peaces needed to be cut & heated for a tight fit on the handle. I'm still working on the gun ribs. I need to make sure I have an accurate stencil & enough PVC to make each rib. I'll be back to this project soon...ish.

Resolution Dalek Gunstick (22).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (23).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (24).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (25).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (26).jpgResolution Dalek Gunstick (27).jpg

Cardinal Hordriss

I don't think I could spend hours or days making a prop for someone else. I'm critical enough of the props I do for myself; the stress would make me even more ill than I am. I also use a lot of found bits and I wouldn't know where to find more.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...