Apr 19, 2024, 06:54 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Rani's TARDIS (Mark of the Rani)

Started by d33j r093r5, Dec 06, 2020, 04:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

I'm impressed with the Tyranosaurus foetuses. I can imagine they were harder than most of the rest of geometry. I know the console detailing isn't the easiest, either,  from my own attempts.

Great work D33j!  :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Volpone

Jan 07, 2021, 01:54 pm #16 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2021, 01:40 pm by Volpone
It's really coming along.  I think the wall texture was a big help too.  It's funny, because I actually preferred your early version to the set you're trying to replicate.  Now I'm doing the "Good job! You're really getting the cluttered, busy look!" thing I do with TARDIS builds: "Good job!  The paint is really uneven and blotchy and you've managed to get the signal lamp to look crooked and broken!"
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

d33j r093r5

Jan 08, 2021, 10:24 am #17 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2021, 10:32 am by d33j r093r5
The foetuses aren't my creation; I lack the skill / hardware / software to produce those. My background is in engineering drafting and 3D modelling for engineering purposes, so mechanical devices and static dimensioned objects are where I excel. I'm not much of an artist, and really have no experience in modelling organic shapes. My guess is that model was created by someone who first sculpted it by hand using a modelers clay or similar, and then used a 3D scanner to create a cg version of it. I just downloaded it from a website (mentioned in the post), recommended to me by someone on Facebook.

I should point out a small word of warning for anyone else interested in it; I didn't see anything untoward when I followed the link to the model. However, when I posted my own link to it on FB, the caption that automatically appeared for it only mentioned content available that wouldn't have a PG rating. :o :-\ So, if you ARE interested in same dinosaur foetus model, but have somewhat delicate sensibilities, be advised that there may be other things you see on the site that perhaps you may not want to see. I take no responsibility for any of the content of the site in question.

Also, am now wondering if I should edit my post above to either remove the link, or to add the warning in the post above the link?

D.

EDIT: Since realized I got the link wrong by one letter, lol. That's embarrassing! ::) It's updated now, and perfectly safe.  ;D
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?

Rassilons Rod

Jan 08, 2021, 10:37 am #18 Last Edit: Jan 08, 2021, 10:42 am by Rassilons Rod
FB are renowned for misinterpreting images.

A few years ago, one lady's elbows were infamous..... 🤦🏻‍♂️

I think you'll be safe here unless you go all Fight Club on us...  (I guess we're safe until you start doing animations 🤔) 😁

Re: the foesuses... I get you man. Organic stuff is a skill all its own. I am skilled only in angular stuff and funky looking potatoes 🤣
Public Enema Number One.

d33j r093r5

Haven't had a lot of time lately to deal with a lot of the fiddly, finer detail in the console room. I had a spare couple of hours this evening, but wanted to feel productive. So I knocked this up:

Rani TARDIS Exterior_001_210114_0148_074.JPG

I need to cut in the doorway, and add the lock, work out the segmenting logistics for making it, but this is pretty much done! I should probably start a separate thread for this though...  ::)  ;D

Cheers,

D.

d33j r093r5

Well it's finished, and ready to be printed. The exterior, that is. Now I just need to fix my printers  :P ...

Rani TARDIS Exterior Assembly Scaled_001_210115_0141_077.jpg

Rani TARDIS Exterior Assembly Scaled_001_210115_0231_080.jpg

Rani TARDIS Exterior Assembly Scaled_001_210115_0737_083.jpg

I also made an exploded diagram to show how it will fit together. Just coz...

Rani TARDIS Exterior Assembly Scaled_001_210115_1534_086.jpg

Hoping to get back to the console room sometime in the upcoming week. Will have more for you then.

D.

d33j r093r5

Hey Rassilon, if I'm going to create another thread for the Rani's TARDIS Exterior, which forum should I post it in? Model TARDIS Build Diaries, or Other Model Build Diaries?

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: d33j r093r5 on Jan 16, 2021, 04:24 pmHey Rassilon, if I'm going to create another thread for the Rani's TARDIS Exterior, which forum should I post it in? Model TARDIS Build Diaries, or Other Model Build Diaries?

Now that you ask, it occurs to me that this is in "model console build diaries" rather than "virtual", I'm wondering if we ought to move it.

Virtual Consoles and set builds

A virtual exterior should be posted here:
Virtual TARDISes
Public Enema Number One.

d33j r093r5

It's only virtual currently. The designs I post here are going to be realised as 3D printed models. The renders are just fun incidentals along the way. It's like seeing a house on a plan is very different to seeing the finished house, but if you have a photo-realistic walk-around in CG to show, people get a much better appreciation of what the finished product will be like and, full disclosure, get's them more excited ;) ;D . That's way I put it under models rather than virtual. Same goes for the Rani's TARDIS exterior. If I wasn't going to actually make them, I would have started them in Virtual Consoles. Do you think they should still be moved? :)

Cheers,

D.

Rassilons Rod

I think I will move this thread to virtual and then you can start a thread here when you start your prints.

I'll wait until you've seen this though,  so I don't cause any confusion  :)

Really enjoying your progress.

Almost thinking of revisiting my early attempts at this, myself.  But in the interests of less duplication I'll keep my focus on missing stuff. :D
Public Enema Number One.

d33j r093r5

Ok, cool! :) With regards to the Rani Exterior, should I handle that the same way? As in, start it as a Virtual Build, and then come time to actually print it, start a new thread as a Model Build? And which Virtual / Model topic type?

Cheers,

D.

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: d33j r093r5 on Jan 17, 2021, 01:44 pmOk, cool! :) With regards to the Rani Exterior, should I handle that the same way? As in, start it as a Virtual Build, and then come time to actually print it, start a new thread as a Model Build? And which Virtual / Model topic type?

Cheers,

D.

That would be great  :)
Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

This thread has now been moved to it's now home in Virtual Consoles and Set Builds :)
Public Enema Number One.