Apr 26, 2024, 02:26 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

It’s what on the inside ?

Started by saintcar, Apr 30, 2020, 06:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

saintcar

Really enjoying all the great builds on here since lockdown. Thanks to everyone taking the time to post stuff on the forum, it's keeping me sane!

Would anyone be willing to post some internal photos of the inside of their TARDIS builds please?
I am trying to understand how bits all fit together.

Do some builders make their side panels slightly wider  than the opening doors so they fit on the side/back of the support posts or are all panels the same width as the doors and then secured by means of the large internal panels of plywood fitted inside the TARDIS?

How do you secure the side panels and for that matter the opening doors to the posts.

Any photos of the roof set up from the inside?

I think I would find any internal photos really helpful.

Many thanks everyone.

kutan66

Apr 30, 2020, 07:04 pm #1 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2020, 07:05 pm by kutan66
This is mine!  (Its half a Tardis.. on the inside..!)

165-FromBelow.jpg

saintcar

That's a work of art if you ask me!

Scarfwearer

Apr 30, 2020, 07:45 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 30, 2020, 07:46 pm by Scarfwearer
I think there are as many arrangements as there are builders! All good.

I've done quite a lot of drawings for my various builds. This one is from the Newbery I've been working on.
I've changed my mind about the dimensions from time to time, and I'm not sure if this one is perfectly to scale, but it shows the general idea.

sw-newbery.png

The dark blue is the walls and doors. Light blue are the posts (and panel recesses). Light yellow are the sign boxes.

I use a lot of bolts, wingnuts and lift-off hinges to make it easy to dismantle.

It's sometimes hard to get photos that clearly show how it all goes together.

I think most of our builds are not as tidy inside as Kutan's. :)

Scarfwearer

Here's a high view that might help:
4post-front-left.jpg

Though of course different models of Tardis will also inspire different methods.

In the above case, the roof just sits on the lintels over the front and back doors, which is why the lintel is
set a little lower than the top of the posts.
But there's lots of ways to do this.
It would be great to see some more people's methods.

Volpone

May 01, 2020, 12:10 am #5 Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:12 am by Volpone
Mine is not pretty.  The justification for building her was that I was renovating a garage and I needed a place to put the stuff from it.  Time has not been kind, but she's sturdier than the interior belies.  That said, it is a fitting tale of the importance of beveled trim on an outdoor TARDIS.  All the rot is where water got in between the trim and the plywood.  

Well, not all.  There are spots where the plywood rotted too and has been replaced by Hardibacker cement board, but the rot behind the trim is the most obvious:
20190708_154621.jpg
Oh, and temperatures are too extreme in Kentucky to keep paint in a TARDIS so I wound up throwing out all the blue when it was time for her renovation (which was too bad because I had such a perfect plan).  All the rest of the paint is probably ruined too, but I haven't gotten around to checking. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Volpone

I may need to modify my inside lighting into a Tom Servo tribute:
20140517_174034.jpg
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

saintcar

These interior photos are great.
They suddenly make all the plans posted on this site make a lot more sense.
Please keep them coming if you have time to post.
I wonder who is going to win the award for most unusual 'things' needed to be stored in my TARDIS as the excuse for needing to build one!

The photos do explain how to put a TARDIS together.

TG

My panels are visible inside, I made the doors as a frame and then glued in the rectangular inserts.
The walls have a longer piece of wood, at the top of the windows and at the base, which extends into the corner posts and is screwed into the posts.
The doors are hinged onto the corner posts.
I've always painted the inside blue  :) I do like it blue and it covers all my bad woodwork and the screw heads (but makes it a little difficult to dismantle for repairs).
TG
bigger_on_the_inside.jpg

russellsuthern

May 01, 2020, 02:15 pm #9 Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:17 pm by russellsuthern
C'mon, Saintcar, own up...
You just want a good nose round inside everyone's TARDIS, don't you?! ;)  (Joke!)

I built mine in the way you described in your original post.
My rear & front sides were correct size & the side walls were under size so they can slot in & I just nailed them together, then popped the corner posts over the top to hold everything together.
Plan from above:

20200501_143608.jpg

Then I just slid the roof into shape & nailed it all together.
I needed lots of filler to seal the gaps & waterproof it!

This is what it looks like:

20200501_133726.jpg

20200501_133741.jpg

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Russell

saintcar

C'mon, Saintcar, own up...
You just want a good nose round inside everyone's TARDIS, don't you?! Wink  (Joke!)

It is quite interesting in more ways than one!

Jam Jar Lurker

Hi Russell,

What's that hanging down? Some kind of sheet?

Francis
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: TG on May 01, 2020, 11:59 am

I've always painted the inside blue 

bigger_on_the_inside.jpg

Time Girl, I love what you've done with yours. It's so cosy and looks a great place to while away a lazy summer's afternoon.

I've just finished (more or less) painting mine blue. I did consider white as the doors were white when I got her. But I'm old school and like a glimpse of the inside to be murkier and more mysterious.

Francis
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

russellsuthern

Hi Francis,

Yes it is a sheet.
My TARDIS is a shed, so there are shelves on the back wall, full of junk.
I had a few requests from people to use my TARDIS for photoshoots, so I hung up a white sheet, so you couldn't see any of the junk & the interior just looks plain white.

I have to agree that TG's blue interior looks great.
I went for standard white, as this seemed to be what everyone went for, but it might be time for a change...

Regards,

Russell