2020 Dalek on Radio Times cover

Started by russellsuthern, Nov 28, 2020, 04:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

warmcanofcoke

Spoiler
EnvozOxXUAE4TNQ-e1606391265258.jpg
[close]
New Dalek Radio Times Cover :see above
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

cobalt

Getting the silhouette wrong is part of the problem.

But, this new design just doesn't look menacing. It looks gangly and awkward. Like a skinny teenager who's all knees and elbows, wearing a ridiculous macho outfit because it's overcompensating for, well.. frankly, being a bit of a dorky mess.

Instead of the usual dalek voice, it looks like it should sound like bluebottle.

timewomble

That's certainly a different look for the Vicar Of Dibley!

Spoiler
It looks like they've replaced the iconic plunger with...what? I can't make it out. I know we've seen other attachments, not least the two-fingered gripper, but it just looks odd.

As for that neck ring, my 12 year old son immediately observed that it looks very much like a standard Lego part. In fact, the whole thing smacks very much of somebody designing the thing in Lego first.
[close]

Angelus Lupus

Dec 01, 2020, 10:29 pm #18 Last Edit: Dec 01, 2020, 10:34 pm by Angelus Lupus
I think the singular neck-ring is the one part that breaks the traditional silhouette. Particularly because it's lit up, it has the effect of visually separating the head from the body in a way that makes the head look like it's floating, too small, and not armoured enough.

But... Having said that, a lot of that may be due to the way it has been photographed, and then photoshopped - i.e. cut out of whatever it was in front of, to be stuck on the Winter background. I've seen an image from the trailer which is looking up at the Dalek head, and from that angle, and with the glow far less saturated/enhanced, it looks significantly better.
Spoiler
2g48k0000dw1000.jpg
[close]
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

davidnagel

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Dec 01, 2020, 10:29 pm
Spoiler
2g48k0000dw1000.jpg
[close]

Looks too clean, I think thats a cgi model.
Regards
David