Apr 20, 2024, 02:39 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

McGann-ish Interior

Started by metrosonus, Aug 20, 2007, 06:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

metrosonus

Aug 20, 2007, 06:45 pm Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 12:21 am by Scarfwearer
This is all in theory as I'm trying to work out some dimensions so I can work out my set designs, so please forgive me if it sounds complicated!

I plan on using 4x8 foot sheets of luan plywood as wall flats. I plan on cutting them down to 4x6, and then reusing the top 2 foot portion to have a segment of wall at the top that angles forward, which will not have roundels. If I can find it, I'm putting in a rectangle panel of that chrome plastic grid you see over kitchen lights sometimes.

My math being (in inches):

Length=48
Height=72
Roundel Diameter=12
   Column=5 Roundels
   Row=3 Roundels

Spacing Vertical=1.2 (based upon 10 spaces, one for each top and bottom of roundel)
Spacing Horizontal=2 (based upon 6 spaces for left/right of each roundel).

The middle column will have the split roundel on the top and bottom of the row.

I'm 5'10 myself.. is 6 foot too short for the walls? Does the math all sound right though?  ???

Scarfwearer

Aug 20, 2007, 10:36 pm #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:56 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: metrosonus board=discussion thread=1187635533 post=1187635533This is all in theory as I'm trying to work out some dimensions so I can work out my set designs, so please forgive me if it sounds complicated!

I plan on using 4x8 foot sheets of luan plywood as wall flats. I plan on cutting them down to 4x6, and then reusing the top 2 foot portion to have a segment of wall at the top that angles forward, which will not have roundels. If I can find it, I'm putting in a rectangle panel of that chrome plastic grid you see over kitchen lights sometimes.

My math being (in inches):

Length=48
Height=72
Roundel Diameter=12
    Column=5 Roundels
    Row=3 Roundels

Spacing Vertical=1.2 (based upon 10 spaces, one for each top and bottom of roundel)
Spacing Horizontal=2 (based upon 6 spaces for left/right of each roundel).

The middle column will have the split roundel on the top and bottom of the row.

I'm 5'10 myself.. is 6 foot too short for the walls? Does the math all sound right though?  ???

It all depends on whether you're going for correct scale, correct proportions or just something that looks good and is not too hard to build.

The panels I built I did before I found this forum, so I guessed from photos, so it's slightly oversized. I also built mine to be a permanent installation - not just flats for a movie. The actual TV roundels from the Tom Baker era onwards were 19.25-19.5" (49-50cm) diameter, mine are 20.5" on 24" spacing, so my panels are exactly 9' tall. So yes, I pretty much agree with your ratio. I made them as a sandwich of 1/2" thick plywood with 1" spacers between (making a 2" thickness). If  I had to do it over again, I'd probably use 1/4" plywood, which would nearly halve the weight, and with the sandwich construction would be nearly as rigid. I made them as a sandwich for two reasons:
1. it's simpler than building all the little supports required for the rings which fill the hole,
2. it's more dimensionally stable (i.e. less prone to warping).
Here's a link to the page on my website which talks about what I did: Roundels Page.

I can definitely recommend using a router on an arm to cut the roundel holes, as it's really hard to get a good circle with a jigsaw. If you have a router and can't get a suitable arm for it, you can make one by cutting a router-shaped hole in a piece of plywood.
If you go the sandwich route, screw two pieces of plywood together and cut both layers at once. This way you can be sure the holes will align perfectly. Clamps also work, but they tend to get in the way of the router, so I found I had to keep moving them.

Hope this helps.

Crispin

metrosonus

Aug 21, 2007, 09:19 pm #2 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:56 pm by scarfwearer
I hadn't realized how big the sets were on the show .. The pictures on your page really show the scale of the set. 19 inch roundels.. whoa

The whole thing with the exception of the police box is a one off idea of mine with my own sense of astetics.  I'm trying to merge some of the grittyness from the sci fi films from the 90's (Aliens ect) with the familiar form of the TARDIS, contrasted a bit by space, budget ect.

I loathe the jigsaw... Its great as long as you don't need a clean cut. I've got a neat jig I use with my plunge router attatchment. Its like an arm that bolts to the face of the router and then by measuring from the bit down the arm for the radius, you can drill a hole for a bolt that will go through the center of your circle, and then you cut away! it's quite easy..

If you didn't use the sandwich, would you have to use cleats to attach the roundels?

metrosonus

Sep 03, 2007, 06:48 pm #3 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:56 pm by scarfwearer
Well, roundels are out :(

In theory, I wanted to avoid a McGann ish interior because I didn't want to make the whole of the production too "goth". I want more contrast between the TARDIS interior and the other locations. But in truth, I plan on a variety of locations (spaceships, outside ect) so I should be able to achieve a nice balance. Plus, I can reuse the TARDIS set for halloween.

This coming weekend I'll be running to home depot to pick up some material for a test wall. Since I can't recall, I'm hoping the 8th inch or quarter ( I can't remember either!) foam sheets will match in size to the 4x8 ft. sheets of luan plywood I plan on using. The plan so far is to design the TARDIS interior with stone walls and stained glass windows  (2 per panel) at the upper reaches of the wall.