Apr 24, 2024, 10:35 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

console controls

Started by jordanno2, Jun 14, 2006, 06:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jordanno2

Jun 14, 2006, 06:09 am Last Edit: Sep 14, 2011, 10:34 am by Scarfwearer
well ive been inspired by ol scarfwearer to have a go at a console-console room & police box

Ive just about got the room dimensions sorted but what about the controls scarfwearer has his sorted out and there are the control guides on the fluid links not everything is coverd
so Ive set about to document all the controls for the 5-7th drs console which is the one I am aiming for and then figure out how you pilot it.
configuration 4 V1
cons.gif
the coloured bands indicate the areas where these controls and plugs are
well eventuely a visual tardis control guide and a how to maual for all the consoles might be made?
[shadow=green,left,300]any help/suggestions are more than welcome I mean how are we ment to pilot our tardises at conventions.[/shadow]

jordanno2

Sep 28, 2006, 01:48 am #1 Last Edit: Jan 25, 2010, 05:13 pm by scarfwearer
well Graham I wonder how your completed design will turn out I cant wait till its finished.

I am busy with the console for the cancelled 1990 series but there probably will be guides for each of the consoles eventualley I will be able to get on with this console when I finish the 1990 console.

dalethetimelord

Jun 14, 2006, 09:23 am #2 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 05:20 pm by scarfwearer
You're going to have a little trouble there, fella, as the panels were rarely always in the same position on some console, and even if they stayed still they had different functions for the same parts in different stories!  Do what I do with these things - stand there, flick random switches and look professional... and like you fiddle with TARDIS consoles all the time.  Works wonders.

jordanno2

Jun 16, 2006, 02:02 am #3 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 05:20 pm by scarfwearer
well I might as well get it as good as I can but if it proves useless then its improvise.

Teletran

Jun 20, 2006, 08:37 am #4 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 05:21 pm by scarfwearer
Start with the lower right pockets of the screenless sides I think their pretty easy.
(http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1360/omni02g.jpg)

jordanno2

Jun 22, 2006, 01:39 am #5 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 05:21 pm by scarfwearer
okay andn im gowing to borrow more tapes from the libary

armadillozenith

Sep 26, 2006, 04:49 pm #6 Last Edit: Aug 21, 2010, 05:21 pm by scarfwearer
Quote from: jordanno2 board=console thread=1150265388 post=1150265388Ive set about to document all the controls for the 5-7th drs console which is the one I am aiming for

That looks fantastic! well done.

I have been working on the design for a 2005-2006 style console, so it's not directly relevant to mine, but I CAN appreciate your efforts!

If someone comes up with a similar layout for the new version console, I'd be even more interested.

I think in the new series they haven't been too bothered about consistent use of controls, which may even look different (?) between stories. Certainly the CGI console controls in the boxed-set intro/menu are NOT identical to those seen in stories, stills and on the BBC Tardis tour/tardis explorer sites! But they all look great.

'Attack of the Graske' showed and named three controls, the dimension stabiliser (a lever), the vector tracker (two linked dial knobs) and the vortex loop (a handle that goes in/out like a bicycle pump). Near these is a notched wheel that the Doctor sometimes spins. There's also a bell - as used to summon shop assistants (!Rose?) or receptionists or to signal 'time up' in quiz games (Ask the Family?).

So I feel a certain freedom in developing the details of my own console, while going for a similar overall look.

Wishing you fun with your documentation! Cheers,

Graham