Apr 19, 2024, 03:02 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Screen rollers

Started by davidnagel, Sep 05, 2020, 11:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Found randomly just now, an interesting tidbit into where the central column screen supports and rollers came from:

https://www.hepcomotion.com/case-studies/bbc-tardis-screen-application/

For those that don't want to leave the site...

QuoteTask

Being involved in prestigious film projects is something HepcoMotion is getting used to as designers seek out simple motion solutions to potentially difficult film situations. However, moving screens for the world famous BBC Science fiction TV show Doctor Who was actually one of the easier projects. The TARDIS's viewing screens needed to be moved around the circular pole in the centre and needed compact circular motion.

Solution

GV3 flat slides can be rolled to produce a curvature to suit the central column, in turn they are then drilled and fitted to the firm base. Using rolled GV3, the customer was able to place 3 TV screens inside the TARDIS for the actors to use as moving props.

Scope of supply

M44 flat slides L1200 rolled to suit curvature plus SJ34C and E bearings.

Result

A successful moveable prop facility for 3 TV screens to move and adjust as needed on set.

When the filming begins, the actors are able to rely on the screens moving as needed with minimal interference onscreen.

The product is reliable enough to last for many years as the set is used continuously over long periods of time. Various users can access the moving screens and the GV3 product requires no maintenance.

Regards
David

timewomble

Sep 07, 2020, 07:37 am #1 Last Edit: Sep 07, 2020, 05:22 pm by timewomble
That's a great find! I'd found that site ages ago but it didn't have the Doctor Who reference on it and I hadn't found anything that exactly corresponded to the round track. Didn't occur to me that they'd just be able to roll a flat track.

They say the flat track had a length of 1200mm. Taken as a circumference, that gives an inside diameter of 382mm (give or take a small fraction of a mm). Considering the gap between the track and the Perspex cylinder, that suggests the latter had an outside diameter of either 1 foot or 300mm (probably the latter).

If I remember correctly, the TVM console column was specified to have an OD of 1 foot.

davidnagel

Thats a peculiarly small dimension for the rotor isnt it
Regards
David

timewomble

Like I said, the TVM console plans specify a 1 foot OD rotor but it feels a tad small for this console, yes.

If they used two, i.e. one for each monitor, that would be a circumference of 2400mm, so a track with an inner diameter of 764mm, with the OD of the rotor cylinder somewhat less than that.