Apr 20, 2024, 12:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Looking for advice on making a VERY CHEAP tardis console

Started by MacktheTardisGuy, Aug 21, 2020, 02:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

alextheyellowthing

Quote from: MacktheTardisGuy on Mar 23, 2021, 01:47 amIs there any information on what was used to make the console itself? The movie one? Or does anybody know? Like what did they use to get the colour of the panels, was it a stain or a regular paint? Or a varnish?

i've used simple wery wet acrilic paint and verish on my TV movie box floor, the result is quite good i think, and cheap

for the varnish i would advice for satin or shiny enamel paint

alextheyellowthing

Mar 31, 2021, 12:26 am #31 Last Edit: Mar 31, 2021, 07:53 pm by alextheyellowthing
Quote from: MacktheTardisGuy on Mar 31, 2021, 12:05 amHas anyone on here made a build diary on making a Capaldi console? I can't seem to find any.

outside of 3d printed models, i guess there is not. i suggest you to take a look at the part sourcing charnels and refrence topics, it might help get inspired

MacktheTardisGuy

Thank you for the photos, but I've changed my mind on the console I'll be replicating. I will be making a 1:1 scale replica of the 11/12th doctor's TARDIS console. May not be accurate material wise, but it'll look as best as I can make it. The main console itself will be accurate in MDF, the rest has yet been decided.

MacktheTardisGuy

Okay, after reading Cardinal's build diary of their console, I realised I wouldn't be able to exactly replicate the Capaldi console. So I don't intent to try. So could someone tell me the easiest console to make? I have a feeling it will either be classic console, or imo after reading the build threads and such, a Tennant console.

russellsuthern

The classic consoles all look easier to me than the new series ones.
Probably Tom's from the "pyramids of Mars"?

Why not go "off piste" & make a custom console to your own design?
You don't need to worry about accuracy at all then.

Cheers,

Russell

MacktheTardisGuy

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 08, 2021, 03:53 pmThe classic consoles all look easier to me than the new series ones.
Probably Tom's from the "pyramids of Mars"?

Why not go "off piste" & make a custom console to your own design?
You don't need to worry about accuracy at all then.

Cheers,

Russell

Mmm. Might do. Yet I'm terrible at designing. I'd end up having it look very much like a certain console. Like a similar layout to Capaldi's or something. Though I am considering either making a Tennant. Idk. I might go with making my own design. Yet it might turn out as just a slightly different Capaldi.

russellsuthern

Well, It'll be your console, so there is no "wrong". Whatever you do will be good!
One day, when I have enough room, I have promised myself I'll make a Baker era console, but with enough differences to make it uniquely my own.  :)

Regards,

Russell

MacktheTardisGuy

Ooooo, I look forward to seeing the build diary Russel!

karsthotep

If you want to look at a comprehensive build diary you can check out my build of the Pertwee Console.   which was also featured in this excellent e-book created by our own Tony Farrell.   I would recommend checking it out for ideas on your build.   

http://kasterborous.co.uk/ebook-build-your-own-tardis-console-pertwee/

Karst

I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

MacktheTardisGuy

I have started designing my custom console, it is a mix of classic and new, its the basic harntell shape, but with some of my own things.

alextheyellowthing

Quote from: MacktheTardisGuy on Apr 20, 2021, 02:50 pmI have started designing my custom console, it is a mix of classic and new, its the basic harntell shape, but with some of my own things.

i'd suggest, for it to look legit, to make it a decent size if you can
it usually help. and dismentable if you can too.

MacktheTardisGuy

Sorry for the keep changing my mind on the design, yet after reading the thread in references about hurts console. I realised that instead of making my own design, which I wasn't sure about anyway, and I love the Tennant console yet finding all the parts for the full thing would be a needle in a haystack, I could do a Roadshow style one. Not full size but close enough to look semi accurate. And not all the parts a present. I already have the exact handbrake as my brother is scrapping his Corsa. But I still need names of some other parts.