Apr 20, 2024, 04:23 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

3 Dark Eyes Sonic Screwdriver Replicas

Started by the doctor who2, Feb 18, 2020, 10:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

the doctor who2

22 November 2019

This was the first time I got to see the whole body complete as a single piece. The bottom section is only held in by itself, it's a very tight fit. This means the battery pack is always accessible if the batteries need replacing. In the bottom selection of images you can see I'm still installing all the springs to the omitter and fins.

The wooden slates had been stained and button polished giving them a great sheen, I was very grateful to my friend who had put time in to complete this with a quick turnaround.

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2082.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

Here is the first time all 3 Sonics had been constructed as solid pieces, on the left you'll notice a darker colour to the base. This is my proto-type Sonic which would later become my own personal Sonic. Even though it has lots of imperfections and issues it's still something of beauty.

IMG_2100.jpg

Next came the final detail, something that should have been very easy but things are never that easy. I purchased an initial patch of brass screws, these turned out to not be long enough by 5mm. It was by a small amount but it was the single point of failure which would mean all the wooden slates wouldn't be secured. This meant further purchasing and a delay to handover.

IMG_2102.jpg
"There's no point being GROWN UP if you can't be CHILDISH sometimes!"

The Fourth Doctor - Robot, S12 E01

Davros Skaro

This is looking really great, well done, love it.

Quote from: the doctor who2 on Oct 10, 2020, 01:21 pm22 November 2019

This was the first time I got to see the whole body complete as a single piece. The bottom section is only held in by itself, it's a very tight fit. This means the battery pack is always accessible if the batteries need replacing.

Taking the bottom section off & on does tend to make things become loose, so you could always use 3 small grub screws to hold it together which would still allow you to replace batteries & it not fall apart at an inconvenience time.

Just a thought.
Chris.

the doctor who2

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Oct 11, 2020, 03:11 amThis is looking really great, well done, love it.

Quote from: the doctor who2 on Oct 10, 2020, 01:21 pm22 November 2019

This was the first time I got to see the whole body complete as a single piece. The bottom section is only held in by itself, it's a very tight fit. This means the battery pack is always accessible if the batteries need replacing.

Taking the bottom section off & on does tend to make things become loose, so you could always use 3 small grub screws to hold it together which would still allow you to replace batteries & it not fall apart at an inconvenience time.

Just a thought.

Thank you! It's getting very close finishing, I think I've got one post left and then its finished!

Yeah I agree in hindsight I would have done a lot of things differently, including how the bottom section worked.
I have had sonic props where the battery has lasted for years so the need to remove the bottom section should be very infrequent and I know that these most likely won't leave their boxes very often.
The issue always was that this was supposed to be a none practical prop and I hadn't pre-planned for lights and sound, if I ever make more these will be done very differently.

the doctor who2

26 November 2019

After 4 days I received my final consignment of brass screws. These were a perfect length and holds the wooden slates perfectly. They also are a stunning contrast to the red wood. The addition of these wooden pieces sounded the end of my build of the 3 Sonics.

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

Sonic number 1 and 2 completed, Sonic number 3 half way though final construction.

IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg

What really finished these Sonics off, was what would stop them being damaged in transit. I commissioned 3 boxes to be made and stained for me to house each of the Sonic Screwdrivers. Finished with brass fittings, a dark wood stain and a padded foam interior these were a perfect accompaniment to the final Sonics.

IMG_2177.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

the doctor who2

Oct 12, 2020, 04:56 pm #49 Last Edit: Oct 12, 2020, 05:11 pm by the doctor who2
6 Months and 30 days of construction, 200+ hours of work and 3 completed Dark Eyes Sonic Screwdrivers. It was a complete labour of love but I was so proud of the final result. A Sonic I'd been after for a number of years and I'd finally got the opportunity to make not just 1 but 3. A very proud moment.

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

For the final set of images please go over to my build gallery:

https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=10655.new#new

russellsuthern

You should be proud.

They are brilliant!

Russ

Davros Skaro

Absolutely love them, wish one of them was mine  :'( I'd be proud to own one & so would the recipients of these. You should be very proud too, an excellent job & very well done!
Chris.

karsthotep

Excellent excellent build amazing work. 

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"