Mar 29, 2024, 05:27 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original 8th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver auction

Started by LeoCor, Jul 27, 2020, 11:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

Aug 06, 2020, 05:56 pm #15 Last Edit: Aug 06, 2020, 06:22 pm by karsthotep
Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Aug 06, 2020, 04:22 pmWhat we really need is: either a verifiable provenance of this screwdriver from 1996 'til now (which the auction house might have?), or some heretofore-unseen, high quality/resolution images of the on-screen prop to compare.
Sadly, the Tardis wiki tells me the movie has never been released in any higher than 480p (or upscaled therefrom). I wonder why it's never been on blu-ray?

it was released on blu-ray but it wasn't a true High Def rendering they just up-scaled the DVD unfortunately.

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

mycroft

It's a puzzle alright. Surely the best thing to do is contact the Prop Store about it, then they can contact Pillip Segal who then can confirm. Hands up who here knew of a 3rd replica before this cropped up? The Dims  and measurements have been out there for a while who's to say someone hasnt knocked this one off. That's my personal feeling because it would be worth the fraudulent artists time doing it if he can get 5-10k for his efforts. From evidence so far, I have no reason to disbelieve Phil. Wheres the proof that he is wrong? After all he said dont bid on it. He would know.

Davros Skaro

Quote from: mycroft on Aug 07, 2020, 10:19 amIt's a puzzle alright. From evidence so far, I have no reason to disbelieve Phil. Wheres the proof that he is wrong? After all he said don't bid on it. He would know.

Then again he may say "Don't bid on it" so he can bid & get it. Just a thought, but can't see why really.
Would be nice to have that sort of money to buy these things, something I could never afford.
Chris.

mycroft

Quote from: Davros Skaro on Aug 09, 2020, 01:54 amThen again he may say "Don't bid on it" so he can bid & get it. Just a thought, but can't see why really.
Would be nice to have that sort of money to buy these things, something I could never afford.

I doubt that as that action is illegal surely? Also, if you were producer you have 1st grabs on anything, so I doubt that he hasnt got THE actual prop.

How many here have written to the Props Store about Segals tweet? The auction should be pulled until these niggles have been sorted out.

BoundryHopper

I would be very wary of the stuff Prop Store sell as a lot of it simply states that it is screen matched, meaning the only provenance they have is it looks like the one used on screen by visual comparison!  In other worlds they played the dvd of the movie/tv show, held the item up to the screen and said "yep, that's it".  This is useless as it is pretty easy these days to make something look genuine.  If it doesn't come with a verifiable list of who's owned it and when (without gaps) then treat it as a fake!

mycroft

Yea, it's interesting that they wont say where it has come from that would be the 1st thing to be sorted before selling. I think the problem is people want this to be original and therefore will buy it. Too many fakers are out there. Remember when DWE were claiming their 8th Dr Sonic was original. They were part of the BBC yet people working for them were being dishonest. At the time if you pointed it out they tried to ridicule your knowledge. This is the same, and if the Prop Store was worth their salt they would pull this until further investigations could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that this was real.

mycroft

Quote from: too_many_cars on Aug 03, 2020, 09:26 pmStill researching...  but it's pretty murky at the moment.  I've requested an appointment to inspect it in person and verify some details.

--Brian

Any updated news on this at all? I wondered if the Props Sore have been in contact. It all seems rather silent on their side.

too_many_cars

Quote from: mycroft on Aug 10, 2020, 06:22 amAny updated news on this at all? I wondered if the Props Store have been in contact. It all seems rather silent on their side.

Patience, Mr. Moone.

Propstore has been in contact, and they have been very professional dealing with my questions without violating their confidentiality agreement with the seller.

I'll chime in again when I have anything definitive to share.  With all of the 'he said, she said' going on with this prop I don't want to be responsible for any bad info.

--Brian

rocca

Hi! 10 minutes ago Prop Store showed in a live-stream the Sonic, I don't know if it will be available again to watch so I recorded it with my phone, I'm sorry for the poor quality.

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: rocca on Aug 24, 2020, 06:35 pmHi! 10 minutes ago Prop Store showed in a live-stream the Sonic, I don't know if it will be available again to watch so I recorded it with my phone, I'm sorry for the poor quality.
thanks for taking the time to do that! :)

fivefingeredstyre

Interesting how they don't demonstrate the "Spring Loaded" action, other than retracting the head...

Any ideas how much it went for in the end?

Royellou

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Aug 25, 2020, 07:31 pmInteresting how they don't demonstrate the "Spring Loaded" action, other than retracting the head...

As far as I'm aware, the current bid is at $6000 USD, to be sold tomorrow (AUG 26th)

LeoCor

Quote from: Royellou on Aug 25, 2020, 09:47 pm
Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Aug 25, 2020, 07:31 pmInteresting how they don't demonstrate the "Spring Loaded" action, other than retracting the head...

As far as I'm aware, the current bid is at $6000 USD, to be sold tomorrow (AUG 26th)

It's currently at $11,000.

Davros Skaro

The winning bid was $11,000, $3,000 more than estimated, but who won it is the question?
Chris.

Angelus Lupus

At that price I hope it turns out to be genuine, otherwise they might have a disgruntled buyer to deal with!

Speaking of... is there any update on the investigation of this screwdriver's bona fides?
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.