Apr 24, 2024, 10:15 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original 8th Doctor Sonic Screwdriver auction

Started by LeoCor, Jul 27, 2020, 11:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

I was just thinking that it looks like a ball bearing latch. Similar to those closures on things like the Pull To Open door, on the real police boxes....

Quote from: fivefingeredstyre on Jul 28, 2020, 07:47 pmYOu know...

I think thats definitely the real deal.

Thats never really looked like a "button" to me. More like a hole...

371733_9.jpg

SS01.jpg

I'd wager that the mechanism was held in its retracted state via friction and a small clip that locks into the hole and that pushing the clip releases the spring inside the shaft (Does that make sense? coz it does in my head...)

The clip would have to be very shallow as there's not much showing through the hole in its retracted state when the screwdriver is being examined by Chang Lee.

I see the bid is currently $5,500!
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Kingpin

Sep 10, 2020, 07:47 pm #46 Last Edit: Sep 10, 2020, 08:15 pm by Kingpin
Edit: Didn't notice the three further pages of comments as I was writing this post.

Quote from: mycroft on Aug 05, 2020, 11:31 pmIf Segal says it's not the original, then where is this supposed to come from?

MY first guess would/would've been a commissioned replica.  Either the person who commissioned it did so to lure people in thinking it's the real deal, or sold it to someone who may be attempting to hoodwink people.

That being said of course, given that the consensus is that it is one of the pieces made for the TV Movie, the flipside of the conclusion (as others have pointed out) is that Mr. Segal may well be mistaken whilst at the same time telling what he feels be the truth.

Something similar to what was initially suspected here actually happened in the Ghostbusters prop community:

Several years back, my friend K bought one of the "stunt" Proton Packs used in Ghostbusters II from a collector who'd previously won it in an auction.  The auction listing had included a certificate of authenticity (whether the certificate was produced by Columbia/Sony, or the auction house is anyone's guess).  As part of the agreement to buy it, S, a mutual friend of K and mine would build a Proton Pack replica for the collector.
The exchange was performed, and each party left with a Proton Pack... However, the certificate of authenticity was not supplied by the collector.

A couple of years after the exchange, a supposedly "screen used" Proton Pack appeared in a Profiles in History auction.

Its provenance was questioned straight away due to the substantial weathering that had been done to the prop, weathering that was not seen in either of the Ghostbusters movies.  After S took a look at the auction photos, he quickly deduced it was the Pack he'd built - and its supposed provenance appeared to have been established by the missing certificate.

too_many_cars

Jan 26, 2021, 09:00 pm #47 Last Edit: Jan 26, 2021, 09:03 pm by too_many_cars
As sort of a coda to the whole Segal/auction provenance issue, Phil started an Instagram for his model work:

https://www.instagram.com/sprueverse/

As well as a staggering display of amazing resin models, he shared a photo of the Sonic Screwdriver in his collection:

2021-01-25 13.32.07.jpeg

2021-01-25 13.31.58.jpeg

2021-01-25 13.32.02.jpeg

It's a Sixteen 12 replica of the Baker sonic that was released in 2009.

That pretty much wraps up the question about provenance, as the two sonics used for the production are (1) the static version in the TARDIS console collection, and (2) the collapsing version sold at the 2020 Propstore auction.

Wonder what the piece from the toolkit was that went to that charity auction?

--Brian

alextheyellowthing

Quote from: too_many_cars on Jan 26, 2021, 09:00 pmAs sort of a coda to the whole Segal/auction provenance issue, Phil started an Instagram for his model work:

https://www.instagram.com/sprueverse/

As well as a staggering display of amazing resin models, he shared a photo of the Sonic Screwdriver in his collection:

2021-01-25 13.32.07.jpeg

2021-01-25 13.31.58.jpeg

2021-01-25 13.32.02.jpeg

It's a Sixteen 12 replica of the Baker sonic that was released in 2009.

That pretty much wraps up the question about provenance, as the two sonics used for the production are (1) the static version in the TARDIS console collection, and (2) the collapsing version sold at the 2020 Propstore auction.

Wonder what the piece from the toolkit was that went to that charity auction?

--Brian

Did he confirmed he has the movie full size prop, or is he référencing the model i believe he might have ?

KIT-KAT

this is me I'm kit haha I was baffled as to him saying its an original prop, i assume he's just forgotten? to someone not fully into sonics they do look similar
No, not the mind probe!

davidnagel

Regards
David

too_many_cars

Quote from: alextheyellowthing on Jan 27, 2021, 12:25 amDid he confirmed he has the movie full size prop, or is he référencing the model i believe he might have ?

Take a look at the Instagram yourself, there's a photo of the model and he calls it 'his tardis'.

Full size box = very unlikely.

--Brian

alextheyellowthing

Quote from: too_many_cars on Jan 27, 2021, 05:58 pm
Quote from: alextheyellowthing on Jan 27, 2021, 12:25 amDid he confirmed he has the movie full size prop, or is he référencing the model i believe he might have ?

Take a look at the Instagram yourself, there's a photo of the model and he calls it 'his tardis'.

Full size box = very unlikely.

--Brian

I don't have that unfortunatly. It's rumors he as it, tho i guess it must be a missunderstanding with him talking about the sfx model