Apr 19, 2024, 11:56 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

3D Printed Tardises

Started by nesshane, Dec 07, 2017, 09:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Volpone

I'm always amused on our builds and projects, because I'll think "It looks like there's a flaw in that one step and it is sagging."  Then I'll remember that step on the actual prop DID sag--and, IIRC, got worse over time.  We're the only people who notice that level of detail in the props. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

mverta

I've been doing digital work for licensed replicas for almost 20 years now, and if there's one thing I've learned is that people may not consciously notice the details, but they can feel them - it's where the authenticity lies. Props are like faces - wonky and asymmetrical, and those asymmetries are critical to the look.

WonderWheeler

Mar 04, 2024, 02:34 am #17 Last Edit: Mar 04, 2024, 02:36 am by WonderWheeler
Yeah, sag, or "long term deflection" or "creep" is common in old buildings of all sizes. Even tiny shacks. Often seen in old barns and Tudor style timber framed buildings. Moisture is also a factor. They start to sag and or lean over time. Even modern concrete will do that to some extent if it is built too much with short term economy in mind. Although it takes decades, does not even have to crack to slowly sag. Even geologists see this with solid rock layers bending over time and high loads. Some people call it character.