Glasgow Box A32 James Orr Street, west side 12 yards south of Alexandra Parade

Started by mikey, Jul 22, 2020, 01:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Necropolis in Glasgow’s East End with weatherbeaten red Police Box..jpg

The Glasgow Necropolis is in view in the back ground and it looks like the street sign reads Alexandra Parade. There are a few candidates for this box and I'm not sure which it is. Still, nice to have another colour photo of a Glasgow in it's original red finish albeit a bit scruffy. Looks like the 50s or 60s to me.
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

realboxmike

This is A24 looking down James Orr Street from Alexandra Parade.Sadly, this whole area, including a number of streets was swept away following redevelopment in the mid-1970s

Jam Jar Lurker

There's something very beautiful about this image despite the sorry state the box is in. It's lovely to see another Glasgow box I never got to see in person.

Francis
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

mikey

Quote from: realboxmike on Jul 22, 2020, 02:05 pmThis is A24 looking down James Orr Street from Alexandra Parade.Sadly, this whole area, including a number of streets was swept away following redevelopment in the mid-1970s

I see that's why I couldn't match it up with Google maps, thanks
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

mikey

Quote from: Jam Jar Lurker on Jul 22, 2020, 02:09 pmThere's something very beautiful about this image despite the sorry state the box is in. It's lovely to see another Glasgow box I never got to see in person.

Francis

Agreed it's deeply evocative and wistful.

peterjohn

Actually this is A32 James Orr Street, west side 12 yards south of Alexandra Parade [c1970's]

kutan66

Brilliant picture.  When I see old pics like this I wonder if the little lad is still around and in his 60's or 70's..

The box looks like its been on fire a bit!

domvar

I have updated the title and the database (that no one can see at the moment)