Apr 20, 2024, 12:58 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

David's Hartnell console

Started by davidnagel, Apr 12, 2021, 10:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnagel

Using Tony's plans as a bare basis, I've had a go at modelling the Hartnell console in Fusion 360.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-11 at 00.45.29.jpeg

Lots of things I've noticed don't sit well in my eye, so I'll be tinkering with the measurements in places.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-11 at 13.26.11.jpeg
Regards
David

Volpone

This should be interesting with an eye to a physical console build too.  There's enough stuff going on with the time rotor that it takes a lot of concentration to figure it out.  Seeing each piece added and the detail starting out very simple will help give an idea of what goes into a physical build. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

davidnagel

Quote from: Volpone on Apr 12, 2021, 01:00 pmThis should be interesting with an eye to a physical console build too.  There's enough stuff going on with the time rotor that it takes a lot of concentration to figure it out.  Seeing each piece added and the detail starting out very simple will help give an idea of what goes into a physical build. 

In fact, this is exactly why I've done this model; for potential for a full size real world build.

This is my first time modelling a console in 3d space so its been a big learning curve for me and I'm quite surprised how quickly it came together. Working in a CAD program, it certainly helps having preexisting measurements as some of the work has already been done.
Regards
David

Volpone

I've never been able to figure out Sketchup.  That and Access databases are the 2 software applications that I've failed utterly to get my brain around.  Like I said elsewhere, for me Sketchup is like that "Flatland" science fiction short story, where the 3D shape visits a 2D world--and I'm one of the 2D shapes.  Once I managed to do something in 3D with some point of sale* marketing software (that even our company's "guru" hadn't been able to figure out), but it hurt my head to do it and I just stumbled through it.  It wasn't like I figured it out and then was like riding a bicycle.  More like disarming a bomb. 

*They have software for what store shelves will look like; how many facings of Brand X, etc.  Lets you fine tune based on sales, case size (you want to get all the product on the shelf if possible, instead of forgetting some in the back room) and aesthetics.  I enjoyed that job. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.