Apr 20, 2024, 10:36 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Outcast's Type 40 Console

Started by theoutcast, Apr 24, 2020, 05:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

theoutcast

This TARDIS console design is inspired by the console used by the 5th, 6th & 7th Doctors. Using measurements from the and references from Scarfwearer's: Season 20 5 Doctor's Plan http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=1107.0
Schermopname (22).jpg

In the picture above you will see how the console is structured.
First a lot of puzzling with the angles of the panels, then getting the inside panels to appear to sway inwards.
Then I built the underside of the console panels separately to the top. Each with an removable panel.
The Outcast - Renegade Time Lord, Engineer and handyman, travelling through time and space in a Type 40 TARDIS.

theoutcast

Apr 24, 2020, 05:57 pm #1 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2020, 05:59 pm by theoutcast
Details from a support panel and the console panel.

Schermopname (23).png
Schermopname (24).png
Schermopname (25).png
The Outcast - Renegade Time Lord, Engineer and handyman, travelling through time and space in a Type 40 TARDIS.

theoutcast

""The Gallifrey Recall Device

As I recall on the 4th Doctor's TARDIS console, there was a strangle crystallized hexagon dome, which apparently is called the Gallifrey Recall.
Here I decided to make it the centre piece on this panel, just like the oval screen on the 11th/12th's TARDIS console.
The plethora of colours are a nod to The Outcast's interaction with the 6th Doctor. Schermopname (27).png

theoutcast

Apr 24, 2020, 06:14 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 24, 2020, 06:15 pm by theoutcast
As I intend to build this console in the near (foreseeable) future, rather than have three monitors on the console. I will be using this part as a workspace/bureau and a steampunk/ retro laptop in the middle.
Schermopname (28).png

theoutcast

For the other panels im not sure what buttons/ switches and possible fiddly bits to put on it.
Essentially I want this console to reflect the "interactions" The Outcast has had with The Doctor.

Influences so far are:
Gallifrey Recall Device - Size (from the monitor on 11th/12th's TARDIS) colours harken to 6th Doctor
Workspace panel (5th, 6th & 7th Doctor inspired.)
Time Rotor (6th Doctor inspired)

The Time Rotor was initially to be a recreation of what is shown in the show. But i decided to keep the octagonal form and have interchanging colours. Red, Blue & Yellow. Colours most seen in the 80's titles rather than on the 6th Doctor's coat.
But I love how the rotor looks, especially with the descending supports around the crystalline structure.

But I can't decide if the rotor looks better with or without the glass cylinder...  ???
Schermopname (20).png
Schermopname (21).png

theoutcast

I would love it if people gave me some constructive criticism?
Like what did I do good and what could I improve on?

Great to see people viewing this post. But like to see some interaction too... :(

Volpone

1) You've done a good job of capturing the feel of the post-"5 Doctors" console.  For years this was my favorite console, although as I've gotten older, I've developed a taste for some of the older consoles. 
2) I like the thought you've taken into how to make it a practical, executable design.  Going with a shelf for your laptop, like the storage areas in the wooden 4th Doctor console is a neat choice.  I'd also be tempted to build some kind of facade for your laptop, so the screen and keys are accessible through openings and then a cladding hides that it is a laptop, kind of like the hood on a car.  Then when you need to take "diagnostic equipment" into the field, you pop open the housing and pull out the laptop, the way The Doctor would sometimes remove a console component.  You could probably even stick a USB hub in your console so that you wouldn't have to figure out how to have the laptop's USB ports accessible.  Have the hub built into the console and when you plug the laptop in, you plug the cable into one of the laptop ports (do they even make USB hubs anymore?). 
3) I think you absolutely need the plexiglass for the column.  It's an expensive pain in the butt, which is probably why The Master and The Rani didn't have it on their respective TARDISes (except for when The Master's TARDIS was entirely a redressed Doctor's TARDIS). 
4) Finally, and I apologize for putting something critical last--I should end on an up-note, the recall device is, in my opinion, too big.  I guess it is a bit like the steampunk geared console section of the Matt Smith TARDIS, but on a 5 Doctors console, with all the little fiddly bits, it stands out.  Maybe make that the emergency panel section and have, say, the recall device, Hartnell's Fast Return button, the telepathic interface, and maybe Siege Mode and/or forcefield controls there (Oooh-and the panel for the dematerialization circuit!).  Personally, I'd scale it down to the size of the retro monitor on the panel to the right of it--maybe even reuse that kind of layout for that panel--recall device in the center, telepathic circuit across the top, forcefield controls along one side, and the rest of the controls down the other side. 

Those are my thoughts.  It's a nice take on the late 1980s console and it will be interesting to see how it progresses--especially given that you're designing it with a practical build in mind. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

theoutcast

Thank you Volpone for your comment! I will be taking your suggestions into consideration.

QuoteI'd also be tempted to build some kind of facade for your laptop, so the screen and keys are accessible through openings and then a cladding hides that it is a laptop, kind of like the hood on a car.
Yes this will be the plan! When I have the time from study to make the controls, I shall also be working on making a facade indeed! As I mentioned
QuoteI will be using this part as a workspace/bureau and a steampunk/ retro laptop in the middle.

QuoteI think you absolutely need the plexiglass for the column.  It's an expensive pain in the butt

This is something I will take into consideration when I will/can build this console. I will be doing some research to see if I can find plexiglass cylinders. That's why I preferred the classic series time rotors to the new series.
QuoteThe Master and The Rani didn't have it on their respective TARDISes
Well I contemplated without the plexiglass, just because other than the Doctor's console being re-purposed towards the end of the series being recoloured for the Master and Rani's TARDIS. I would think that possibly the other TARDISes on Gallifrey don't all have cylinders (or ceiling height columns)

Quotethe recall device is, in my opinion, too big.
True, I think I should bring it back to the same size as seen on Tom Baker's TARDIS, but yes add the Fast Return Button on the bottom corner, maybe on the left, and have the Recall on the right. Telepathic Circuit I think then could be appropiate in the middle and have it like it appeared on Matt Smith/Peter Capaldi's TARDIS. For the Siege Mode lever, I did like how it was under one of the panels, but I would like to place it behind the hexagon on the base, and have it as a kick "emergency stop" as seen on Pillar Drill's in workshops.
And of course the dematerialization circuit (will be in the form of levers) either as those toggle switches that Matt Smith would enthoustically pull in scenes when the TARDIS is in turbulence or as per usual in the form of ship engine duo turbo levers.

Pictures to come in the next few days!
Thank you again Volpone!

theoutcast

So a little update on the panels.
Hope you like what I have done with the Communications panel. Smith/Capaldi inspired Telepathic Circuits, a new fast return switch, downscaled Gallifrey Recall Button & Siege Mode lever in the supporting base.

I would also like to hear suggestions on how to build my last two panels, what they should be called, because I think the use of buttons everywhere is a bit... what?!

Schermopname (31).png
Schermopname (32).png
Schermopname (33).png
Schermopname (34).png

Volpone

I don't have a direct answer to your questions.  But I will volunteer that, in thinking about a practical build myself, I've been going for a modular approach; sourcing bits and bobs that seem interesting and look right.  I've got this ancient handheld "electronic" Tomy game where you try to shoot down aircraft with missiles.  It's really 90% mechanical, but it looks right for a TARDIS control.  Maybe the electronic "Battleship" game.  A Viewmaster to function like Mr. Spock's scanner, a plasma disk, things like that.  In college I had a $9.99 red Radio Shack that would have been perfect.  But one time at a St. Vincent's (or Goodwill, I forget) they had a soundboard and I think that would be an important part of any TARDIS console I built.  You could probably set it up to control a lot of light, sound, and other cues for a TARDIS with it.  That's another thing:  Just having switches and rheostats and such to actually operate things like the time rotor and lights and sounds goes a long way towards fleshing out a console in my mind.  Form follows function and all that.  And I'd probably mount them all with plates and screws like electronics racks had in Olden Dayes--hence the "modular." 

https://www.newegg.com/p/0YE-0017-00003 I don't actually like NewEgg, but this is a nice picture of a fairly simple and affordable sound mixer.  There are much bigger, more complex, and more expensive ones.  But the bottom line is, it isn't just random buttons.  It is lots of knobs and switches, but it looks like they have a purpose because they really do.  And someone's figured out the design for you. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.