New, New TardisBuilders!

Russell's K-9

Started by russellsuthern, Apr 21, 2020, 03:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Apr 27, 2020, 11:18 am #30 Last Edit: Apr 27, 2020, 11:41 am by russellsuthern
Be confused no more, No More!
I shall reveal all....

I used wood glue which is quite strong & dries in about 10 mins.
Even with a thin contact edge it sticks quite well, but I added some wooden blocks at strategic points along the panels to give support & give the glue more surface area to stick to.
Then I used masking tape to hold it all in place while it dried.
Then I turned it over & papier mached the inside to add strength. Cheaper & easier than fibreglass.

Looks like a horror show, but does the job.

20200427_114927.jpg

I might give it a thick coat of emulsion at some point, just to tidy it all up.

The K-9 shape is a bit like the skirt section of a Dalek.

It all seems quite flimsy & wobbly as you attach each panel to the next, but then when the last piece goes on it becomes quite sturdy.

I still need to use filler on all the gaps on the outside, which will make it even stronger.

Hope that makes sense... :)

Regards,

Russell

russellsuthern

Hi all,

I filled all the gaps today.

If it doesn't rain, I'll sand it down tomorrow.

20200427_172443.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Best regards,

Russell

Scarfwearer

Looking very tidy! I started one a long time ago, but alas it got abandoned.

Quote from: russellsuthern on Apr 27, 2020, 04:40 pm
If it doesn't rain, I'll sand it down tomorrow.

I think the BBC has issued flood warnings for tomorrow. :(

Great to see another K.9! You're really storming along with this.

Lantern of Gallifrey

That looks great.  You've made me rethink the cardboard one that I started a few years ago.  You have inspired me to restart my first attempt.

russellsuthern

Thanks, Crispin!
Yup, It's p****ng down!
So... It looks like I'm on an enforced layoff from my build for a couple of days.
This is quite annoying as I am currently in my "totally obsessed, can't think about anything else, driving my wife crazy" stage of my build. :o

Things seem to be going quite smoothly so far (touch wood) I think my previous builds have certainly given me the skills to tackle this one.
After building a TARDIS, it's a relief to build something where every section doesn't weigh a ton!

Lantern: Yes, you should really get building again.
We could start a "Build a K-9 in isolation" club!

Best regards,

Russell

superrichi1a

That is some damn impressive work! I'm quite in awe that you got the lines that clean. He's looking sturdy and very much looking forward to seeing him painted now :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

KIT-KAT

Looking fantastic! I just found some wood I had in the garage and it looks like I've got enough to build one of my own so hopefully I might start making one too! Great job Russell!
No, not the mind probe!

russellsuthern

Thanks, Rich, ... Yes I can't wait to slap some paint on him!
I can't decide between brush on or spray gloss.

The spray paint highlights every imperfection. The brush on does hide more imperfections, but can leave brush marks or runs.

Kit-Kat... Yay!! Another member of the build a K-9 in lockdown club!!

Regards,

Russ

Volpone

I will suggest another option, from my A-Team van paintjob:  A foam roller.  Don't know what kind of paint you'll be using or how it will interact with cardboard, but on a car you can actually get something approaching an airbrush finish using Rustoleum, thinned with either acetone or mineral spirits (most people use mineral spirits but I used acetone and got decent results) and then rollered on with these white "high density" foam rollers. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

I hadn't thought about using a roller.
Sounds like a good idea..
My only worry would be getting into all the little nooks & crannies...?

Russ

Volpone

Foam brush?  I think that's what I used on the van.  I forget. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

ciderman

Looks amazing Russell! Two questions: How thick is the hardboard and how did you bend the curved top panel so well?

russellsuthern

Hi Volpone.

I may experiment...or, I may just stick with what I know.... ;)

Ciderman, Thanks for the compliment.

The main body was 3 mil hardboard.
The recessed panels & the back are 2 mil Hardboard, which is so thin, It's really easy to bend.
Doesn't need soaking or clamping or anything.
For the back I just glued down one side, curved it over into shape, then glued down the other side. Easy!

Yesterday was such a horrible day, really depressing being stuck inside with it hacking down outside.
Managed to get some stuff done, tho'...

I traced & cut out the templates for the head:

20200428_212359.jpg

And found some tubing perfect for the neck...

20200428_212536.jpg

More rain forecast for today,so we'll see what happens...

Stay safe...

Russell

russellsuthern

Raining again!   >:(

Managed to get about half hour sanding done before the heavens opened...

Not sure how perfect a finish I'm going to go for. Sometimes I feel you could go on sanding forever...

Normally I start with good intentions of going for perfection, then after a while I get fed up & think, "Bugger it! That's good enough!" :o

Most of my builds look at their best when viewed from a 10 ft distance!!

Best regards,

Russell

cosmichobo02

I had to build my K9 ears happy to share if you wish