News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Kings Lynn boxes

Started by mikey, Apr 14, 2020, 11:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mikey

Apr 14, 2020, 11:48 pm Last Edit: Apr 15, 2020, 10:40 am by mikey
8D4C2D89-448B-43D8-871B-BFCD46FD4E2B.jpeg

Photo from 1974 showing a box formerly of the South Lynn roundabout which ended up in Portland Place Adventure area.

358644D4-6930-4B04-A41B-5905632E8A7E.jpeg

Another picture from the same thread shows a close up of another box from 2007 in someone's garden. It appears to still be in place as of May 2019. It looks very similar to a St Albans type box to me.

[attachid]5070A4C0-84DB-4CBB-8945-0023E424876E.png[/attach]D588395A-CA19-4ABE-AC36-0349B3F5FFBB.jpeg

120D7A8A-07EC-4907-9AFC-F2270FF83E4D.jpeg
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Angelus Lupus

Comparing the heights of the kids there, to the woman and the Bobby in the St. Albans box photo - this one looks to be shorter? Still, that's a sad looking box in its current state - If it weren't for the fancy columns and cornices you might think it was just a shed that a Who fan had painted many years ago and then neglected! (The fancy architectural additions are a dead giveaway to the period of these boxes - can you imagine a modern Municipal Authority forking out for decorative flourishes like that nowadays?)

Having said all that, its shape does make it a more practical shed that a Met Box  ;D
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Dalekoracle

Lets all club together and buy the owner of that box a nice new shed, and rescue that old box!

It should be restored and in a museum!

mikey

Apr 15, 2020, 12:38 pm #3 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2020, 05:06 pm by mikey
Agreed, I would certainly chip in for that!
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

mikey

Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Apr 15, 2020, 11:46 am
Comparing the heights of the kids there, to the woman and the Bobby in the St. Albans box photo - this one looks to be shorter? Still, that's a sad looking box in its current state - If it weren't for the fancy columns and cornices you might think it was just a shed that a Who fan had painted many years ago and then neglected!

Having said all that, its shape does make it a more practical shed that a Met Box  ;D

Yes the apparent height had me worried but I'm sure they are the same type of box. The shed behind it is considerably lower than the box and must be a standard garden shed.

Agree about the flourishes it's a sad reflection of how boring and cheep humanity is becoming.

scotland yard

Apr 15, 2020, 03:25 pm #5 Last Edit: Apr 15, 2020, 03:28 pm by scotland yard
Quote from: mikey on Apr 15, 2020, 12:44 pm
Quote from: Angelus Lupus on Apr 15, 2020, 11:46 am
Comparing the heights of the kids there, to the woman and the Bobby in the St. Albans box photo - this one looks to be shorter? Still, that's a sad looking box in its current state - If it weren't for the fancy columns and cornices you might think it was just a shed that a Who fan had painted many years ago and then neglected!

Having said all that, its shape does make it a more practical shed that a Met Box  ;D

Yes the apparent height had me worried but I'm sure they are the same type of box. The shed behind it is considerably lower than the box and must be a standard garden shed.

Agree about the flourishes it's a sad reflection of how boring and cheep humanity is becoming.

Yes... there was this chap who was in the directing board in the early days of the London Passenger Transport Board, Frank Pick, a very important figure in the development of transport in London, and most importantly, the creator of a public image for London Transport. There's a memorial in Piccadilly Circus tube station, which sums up perfectly his ideals, and here it is:

04_c-thierry-bal.jpg

I find those two lines at the top good guidelines on how things should be designed. They don't have to be beautiful, they have to be so beautiful and imprinted on people's mind they become immortal. And not only do they have to be useful, they need to be perfect.

I feel we're lacking Pick's mentality these days. Maybe his mentality was a bit over the top, but it certainly got excellent, beautiful, results.

Sorry for this, I split my time obsessing about the TARDIS, police boxes and the Underground.
Oh my giddy aunt!!

dr hue

Apr 16, 2020, 12:52 pm #6 Last Edit: Apr 16, 2020, 01:16 pm by dr hue
Extract from 1938 Boulton and Paul catalogue from John Bunker's

"The Rise and Fall of the Police Box"

B309-108-png.png

The type that were used in Norwich , Ipswich and St Albans and were made, out of wood, by Boulton and Paul of Norwich, Box type B309.

Do we know the exact location of "shed" above ?

Agree it should be saved.

mikey

Ah I see, that's very interesting thanks. I think this must be the only know example of this type of box?

I do know where it is and I am in two minds about posting it publicly. In the end I passed on the details to that chap Ward Westwater. It seems to me to be the best course of action.

Teppic

Apr 17, 2020, 11:54 am #8 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2020, 10:15 am by Teppic
I just love the fact that (as of March 2019) it still exists!

dr hue

Apr 17, 2020, 09:20 pm #9 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2020, 09:21 pm by dr hue
Looks like March 2019 to me.  

sa-3.png

mikey

I was never great at reading and writing

mikey

Nov 18, 2022, 03:03 pm #11 Last Edit: Nov 18, 2022, 05:50 pm by mikey
Well it took over a year but this box is now grade II listed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1478659

77DDB417-C2D4-4B86-954E-46B2C3BE142B.jpeg