May 01, 2024, 09:25 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Police Box Lamp?

Started by police box locator, Apr 03, 2020, 11:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

police box locator

I know that the Glasgow Police Boxes had this style of lamp on them, but I'm struggling to see whether, by actual photographic evidence if the London / Met boxes ever used this style. Any thoughts please?
Plus, is this the right size or is it perhaps a slightly smaller version?
Finally, for now, this lamp is cemented into a post on a wall (in Kent) as an outside light at my cousin's house - she is planning on moving soon. Should I 'rescue' the lamp? I hate the idea of a new owner 'smashing it down..!

This is the first time I have ever posted, so I do hope I am posting in the right place / right way. Thanks![attachid]P1030067 (1).jpg[/attach]P1030067 (1) lower res.jpgP1030070 (1) lower res.jpgP1030077 (1) lower res.jpgP1030080 (1) lower res.jpg

mikey

Apr 03, 2020, 11:18 am #1 Last Edit: Apr 03, 2020, 11:22 am by mikey
Rescue it urgently before it gets any more corroded.
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

dr hue

Apr 03, 2020, 11:29 am #2 Last Edit: Apr 04, 2020, 09:15 am by dr hue
Yes, rescue it right away!

I don´t know of any London Met Boxes using this style of lamp.

St. Albans (25 miles north west outside London ) boxes and posts had them.

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=8994.0

Don´t suppose it has the bell clapper in the dome ?

Any idea of where it came from originally ?

police box locator

police box locator

Thank you and for the very interesting info!

kutan66

I think I'd be round there with a grinder or hacksaw straight away..  (Just make sure there's no live wires first!)

domvar

Can you get a shot of the thing it is attached to.

I'd certainly be looking at ether cutting it off or more likely because I dont like the easy option excavating the whole post out :)

You were nearly right with your positioning I have moved it for you :)

Cheers

Dom

scotland yard

Save it! ASAP!!
Anyway, how come a Scottish Police Box light wound up on a concrete post in Kent?
Oh my giddy aunt!!

domvar

These GPO lamps were used up and down the country on posts and boxes of variouse designs

starcross

Definitely save it, then give it a restoration before putting it anywhere.

To restore it you will need to replace the corroded expanded metal mesh, aside from the lantern glass its the only thing supporting that bell dome on top!

You'll need 1/2" x #20 - Steel Expanded Metal Mesh.
At least according to measurements form my lantern, and this website :
https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-expanded-metal

For paint, you ahve the choice of Bright blue as survivor boxes are painted, or the near pitch black Royal Blue, or a nice GPO red as they were in scotland. The interior was a sort of industrial white green color that is hard to find a match for these days.

You can see what it can look like from a thread I posted about it here:
Quote from: starcross on May 26, 2013, 05:24 pm
The larger versions of photos are on my Flickr.

8833009482_2074274c97.jpg

8833138932_cc79790ff0.jpg

ward westwater

Hi

Save it. If you don't want it I will happily buy it as I'm one short for a police box in Glasgow. Feel free to get in touch with me.

Kind regards
Ward

police box locator

Quote from: starcross on Apr 03, 2020, 11:50 pm
Definitely save it, then give it a restoration before putting it anywhere.

To restore it you will need to replace the corroded expanded metal mesh, aside from the lantern glass its the only thing supporting that bell dome on top!

You'll need 1/2" x #20 - Steel Expanded Metal Mesh.
At least according to measurements form my lantern, and this website :
https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-expanded-metal

For paint, you ahve the choice of Bright blue as survivor boxes are painted, or the near pitch black Royal Blue, or a nice GPO red as they were in scotland. The interior was a sort of industrial white green color that is hard to find a match for these days.

Many thanks indeed.

You can see what it can look like from a thread I posted about it here:
Quote from: starcross on May 26, 2013, 05:24 pm
The larger versions of photos are on my Flickr.

8833009482_2074274c97.jpg

8833138932_cc79790ff0.jpg

police box locator

mikey

Has your cousin agreed to let you save it?
"In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."