Barry Newbery's design as realised by The BBC scenery dept. by MBH

Started by timerotor, Apr 02, 2020, 05:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rassilons Rod

Dash me optics!

Sorry buddy! I thought I was seeing square cuts round the quarter rounds. :D :o
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

timerotor

AH I see, oh you noticed that did you
;) I see what you're getting at now.
yes you're seeing something which isn't noticeable to the eye, they're slightly softer than they appear in that photo, but are very close to the structure and unnoticeable as you look at the thing.
Its very fine detail.
so to answer your question. Yes I did this because I believe the originals were indeed done as I have done.
you can just about make this out  at the very front corner of the black and white photograph I posted previously. ( the right hand of the box as you would look at it from the front. It has a shadow which is showing similar ill-fitting around d the quadrant. its slightly rough cut, and not beautifully done around the quadrant. It's just a matter of personal preference, construction detail and the finish of the piece.
I'm making something which is representative of what was actually used on screen - warts and all. (maybe with the acceptation of the tatty window repair to the front.)
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

Scarfwearer

This is a splendid build Mark - I think you've really captured the likeness of it,
and very cool that it has some original bits as well. :)

timerotor

Oh Scarfwearer  :D you are too too kind, and I would like to say, SIR you are the master.
I have to say that yours is every single bit as amazing and gorgeous. (and probably far better craftsmanship.)
TBH I have only now just seen your Newbery, I had no idea you'd made one.

But I am pleased to say that they look exactly the same!

sincerely, thank you, I return the compliment.
MarkScreen Shot 2020-05-03 at 00.10.32.png

Scarfwearer

Aw >blush< - fortunately for me the camera is very forgiving.

I like your new beard, BTW!

tony farrell

Quote from: timerotor on May 02, 2020, 11:23 pm
Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 00.10.32.png

Twins! Each with their own intentional idiosyncrasies. Not identical but twins!

A bit like these really - one of which Mark restored (guess which, haha!  ;)):

EDKpwuWW4AM-705.jpg

Twins! Each with their own unintentional idiosyncrasies. Not identical but twins!

Both your builds are superb! (For some reason I can hear the late - great - Kenneth Williams' "Ooh, Matron!"  ;D  Possibly a joke for our British members ("Ooh, Matron!")! Erm, I'm so sorry! {pause} Clears throat... Normal service will be resumed...)  :D

No, seriously these are brilliant builds. Thank you.

T

(P.S., Mark Barton Hill Esquire, I threatened this a month ago - expect an incoming message!)

fivefingeredstyre

Quote from: Volpone on May 02, 2020, 03:29 pm
Every time I see the auction photos, I always wince a bit.  Usually, when you seen historic items up for auction, the curator is wearing white cotton gloves and handling the item very carefully.  But not this.  Photographer:  "Great, Now let's do one with you *sitting* on the one-of-a-kind irreplaceable historic model."
I think I would have let her off, just this once...

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

timerotor

So in an attempt to bring my build thread back to me and by build guys! :P
Here is my reference photo of the back.
d3d07f59-7289-47dc-9ab0-0e86da1e4935.JPG
It wasn't always like this you know. different support structures across the back at different times.
interesting to note that the corner posts are exactly as I thought and made only as flats - rather than integral structural posts. After all it is false scenery & not real police box
MBHIMG_1103.jpeg

superrichi1a

Never seen that angle on the Newbery before, quite refreshing. Looking fantastic as ever.
I must say, before the new Newbery builds going on currently, I never would have seen myself as a Newbery lover. I always overlooked it in favour of the TYJ. Not anymore! Really starting to love this box and very excited to see your facsimile completed :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

timerotor

I would say i felt the same.
I know I always had a latent love, a sort or dormant desire for this because I always loved its yellow windows and the slim version of  the recesses. I always loved the black and white signage too.
But just like you, I originally preferred the TYJ and obviously fell head over heals with it both as a child and as a professional.
But. for some reason. I started to get obsessed with the Newberry after I discovered I had windows from it... it just ignited my passion. et voila!
thanks for your encouragement. i would invite anyone who's interested to come see it for themselves. And the SHADA console & studio set too! I could do with some new friends lol :D
best to all.
Mark

tony farrell

Quote from: timerotor on May 04, 2020, 01:36 pm
Here is my reference photo of the back.
d3d07f59-7289-47dc-9ab0-0e86da1e4935.JPG
Interesting to note that the corner posts are exactly as I thought and made only as flats - rather than integral structural posts. After all it is false scenery & not real police box
MBHIMG_1103.jpeg

Goodness, I've not seen that photo before. The only one I've ever seen of the back of the Newbery Box is from Horror of Fang Rock and isn't at all clear just how little of the rear corner posts were actually built:

fang1.jpg

(I must be slipping! :) )

So, at least you've proved what I suspected - thank you Mark!

NEWBERY ROOF.png

I drew this about two & a half years ago and, at least, it looks like I got the back right!

A couple of posts ago, you replied to Marc/Rassilonsrod about the corner posts' inside quadrants continuing up the structure behind the sign-boxes. I think this is a better copy of the picture you used and might therefore better serve to illustrate your point:

missing sign box.jpg

This also shows the same thing but also shows the bolt heads used to secure the side panels to the corner-posts (not to mention just how badly aligned the left-hand window frame was!):

missing sign box 2.jpg

Hopefully this comment is helpful in that it might help future readers (or readers who are - perhaps - less familiar with this version) see how the original Newbery Box was built and therefore just how close/accurate and brilliant your build is!  :)

Quote from: timerotor on May 04, 2020, 10:17 pm
i would invite anyone who's interested to come see it for themselves. And the SHADA console & studio set too! I could do with some new friends lol :D

Haha, be careful what you wish for Mark - I might accept! ;D

Rassilons Rod

You may well get a lot of applicants  :) :) :)
I would invite anyone who's interested to come see it for themselves. And the SHADA console & studio set too! I could do with some new friends lol :D
best to all.
Mark
Public Enema Number One.

timerotor

Goodness, I've not seen that photo before. The only one I've ever seen of the back of the Newbery Box is from Horror of Fang Rock and isn't at all clear just how little of the rear corner posts were actually built:

(I must be slipping! :) ) indeed :P lol

So, at least you've proved what I suspected - thank you Mark! you're welcome

I drew this about two & a half years ago and, at least, it looks like I got the back right! looks that way yup!

A couple of posts ago, you replied to Marc/Rassilonsrod about the corner posts' inside quadrants continuing up the structure behind the sign-boxes. I think this is a better copy of the picture you used and might therefore better serve to illustrate your point:
Thanks for those lovely photos

This also shows the same thing but also shows the bolt heads used to secure the side panels to the corner-posts (not to mention just how badly aligned the left-hand window frame was!): I noticed this too. I tried to implement it on my reproduction, but thought that was taking it too far - it looked quite bad ;-( I may have done that if it was a scale model, but if you're going full size, it shouldn't look like you've got it wrong.

Hopefully this comment is helpful in that it might help future readers (or readers who are - perhaps - less familiar with this version) see how the original Newbery Box was built and therefore just how close/accurate and brilliant your build is!  :) indeed it is very helpful and thank you for your kind words.

Haha, be careful what you wish for Mark - I might accept! Grin

Yes, well.. umm... I have suddenly just upped sticks and moved to Outer Mongolia drive. sorry. ;) Nah you're most welcome any time as long as you're kind to me! MBH

superrichi1a

thanks for your encouragement. i would invite anyone who's interested to come see it for themselves. And the SHADA console & studio set too! I could do with some new friends lol :D
best to all.
Mark

That is an incredibly kind offer, and one I'm sure many of us will be clamouring to take up once this is all over! Could not imagine anything more exciting ;D

Incidentally, what you say about the yellowed windows struck a chord with me, as that's the first thing I started to appreciate about the prop, too. Something about them just works so well with its battered appearance to set everything off nicely.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?