Barry Newbery's design as realised by The BBC scenery dept. by MBH

Started by timerotor, Apr 02, 2020, 05:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hartnell_era_builder

I am loving the build so far. The Newbery is my favourite of all the classic who boxes.

What sort of colours would work best for each season as the colour did vary from season to season didn't it?

Any advice you can give would be of great help in planning which full size Newbery I would like to make at some point.

moonbeam

Hi MBH,

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, hope you get back to good health ASAP!
Like the fact that your doing an exact copy of the original and I've finished with the stencil so can send you that no probs,
It's not perfect, when I did mine the paint bled out a bit but then I had to hand finish the letters because some of them looked wrong when compared to the actual, took ages!
The colour is B&Q Valspar Moroccan resort and its in satinwood.

saintcar

Really enjoying this build during lockdown. A great use of your time during this awful period.
So sorry to hear you are unwell MBH but pleased to hear you're probably over the worse of it and wish you well for a quick and full recovery.
Can I ask, the Craig & Rise Flanders blue, did you use Chalky Emulsion or Gloss?

Also forgive me ignorance here but I also thought when I first saw it that perhaps the Newbury design was a slight reworking of the altered brachacki prop.Didn't realise how much wider it was until being able to see it stripped down as in your photos!

Rassilons Rod

I seem to have missed that you were unwell. But glad to hear you're on the mend  :)

Do you know when these photos are from? I'm struggling to recognise the set to the left of the TARDIS and console room....

Quote from: timerotor on Apr 04, 2020, 04:35 pm
064E8511-395F-486F-896A-C431AFF27882.jpegDeOF0LdW0AEfHSh.jpg
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Rassilons Rod

Quote from: Tony Farrell on Apr 05, 2020, 10:21 am
The photos are from "Shada"!

T

I did wonder, but wasn't sure!!   :D

I've wanted to see the "missing" photos that aren't on the dvd/ blu ray for ages! :)
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

timerotor

Quote from: saintcar on Apr 05, 2020, 09:45 am
Really enjoying this build during lockdown. A great use of your time during this awful period.
So sorry to hear you are unwell MBH but pleased to hear you're probably over the worse of it and wish you well for a quick and full recovery.
Can I ask, the Craig & Rise Flanders blue, did you use Chalky Emulsion or Gloss?

Also forgive me ignorance here but I also thought when I first saw it that perhaps the Newbury design was a slight reworking of the altered brachacki prop.Didn't realise how much wider it was until being able to see it stripped down as in your photos!

chalky Emulsion

I'm feeling a lot better after two days baking myself in the sun! almost 100% recovered now thanks guys.- never got my results from the NHS... so still in isolation.
its funny you should remark on its width, saying it's wider than you thought because I'm the opposite & surprised at how I thought it would be wider from pillar too post! and looks slim and elegant to my eye compared to the TYJ and slick with those gorgeous bevelled recesses. its the posts that seem chunky and larger. :P
all the best.
living, learning, loving, refurbing, & preserving!

timerotor

making a column today

IMG_9967.jpegIMG_9966.jpegIMG_9969.jpegIMG_0016.jpegScreen Shot 2020-04-15 at 01.06.07.png

superrichi1a

This box gets better and better every day. Just like your TYJ build, it looks quite literally like the original is masquerading as a replica, it has that uncanny sort of feel to it.

Keep it up and stay safe!

Excited to see how you fit the engines and try not to burn up when working with the Eye of Harmony. That would be bad.

;D
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

timerotor

That's incredibly kind of you! you stay safe too... (all of you)
aww, that's  made my day!  I have to admit it is thrilling to see it. I can't believe I've got that 'feel' of it spot on, its surprised even myself tbh. LOL
oh dear, my old TYJ (mock up one) is now a thing of the past. My parents literally smashed it up after strong winds  made it collapse and now it's gone to TARDIS heaven. which is surprisingly near the nuclear power station where they filmed Hand Of Fear as coincidence goes!

I still have the base, and roof top to make yet, I'm rather tempted to go with the least popular lamp the panda car police beacon - as it is my SHADA TARDIS to go with Tom's outfit from 2017.
I can always swap it for the more conventional fesnel too.... but I just want to go for this one -all the way. warts and all so when I eventually get round to displaying it some day - it is something that nobody has ever seen up close and personal in that way before...

Can't wait until I have a bit more time off, so I can assemble what I've made so far outside. I'm also in need of more timber, so I'll look online for deliveries etc... otherwise it's now on hold.
Best wishes. and thanks again.
MarkyBH

russellsuthern

Oh yes!
I vote you MUST go for the rotating blue police lamp option!

I remember seeing the blue lamp as a kid & thinking to myself, "Well, they've finally got it right at last!!" ::)

Before I built my current box I had built a rather primitive indoor TARDIS from an old wardrobe. That had a blue rotating police light sitting proudly on top of it & I loved it!

Unfortunately, no photos survive of it, but that may be for the best....

Go for it!!!

Regards,

Russell

scotland yard

I'm not a big fan of the rotating car lamp... but to be honest that's what I'd go for, it's one of those wacky things that added charm and character to this box.

Hope this build doesn't stay on hold for long.

Cheers,
Andy.
Oh my giddy aunt!!

timerotor

Hi , I sincerely hope everyone is OK and making the most of Lockdown.
The Shada TARDIS lamp has always been a beacon of headaches to me... BUT I think I've lucked out on authenticity here!

firstly; I was very lucky to NOT buy the incorrect sized one! (these old Beacons come from Germany and are exactly what police & Ambulance  vehicles used on their roofs of emergency vehicles (all over Europe) from the 50s - 80s in many varying shapes and sizes.

I have been researching this particular lamp for many many months now, and it is very easy to think it's larger than the one on season 17 TARDIS.
But surprisingly it's quite small. (so it's handy that the box mount was already in place from the old conventional Fresnel that sat on the top before it as both were quite squat.)
I took the photo to the left from The Horns of Nimon, as my sizometre and judged it's size on lettering 'public call on the top sign just in front of it.

The period studio photo taken during SHADA (first time around1979) is to demonstrate the box plinth had no top, it was painted blue on the vertical sides that showed on camera only, but the actual tops of the wood were left untreated, and the lamp base sat down into the hollow. and may have actually looked something like this. last photo.

Pics attached.
Hope you're all well.
MBHScreen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.20.07.pngScreen Shot 2020-04-30 at 11.21.55.pngIMG_0918.jpeg

russellsuthern

cosmichobo02

I have been following this build with true jealousy next to the Troughtons Tardis this is my next favourite with the better light too, it's a pleasure to see
CH