May 29, 2024, 05:39 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

tardis roundel reference

Started by woodenconsole, May 29, 2006, 07:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

karsthotep

That be good enough Kevin, thanks for sticking that back up there. 
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

karsthotep

Kevin,

I found a guy on the RPF who can do a 3D printing of the roundel for a very reasonable price,  He has to do it in two halves and I would have to glue them together and do a little filling and sanding.   Would it be possible to get a new STL for the updated plans?   Also what is the difference between your thin and thick renderings for the roundel accuracy wise?

I know you are a busy man let me know if this is possible or not.

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Theta Sigma

Nov 19, 2017, 09:31 pm #122 Last Edit: Nov 19, 2017, 09:41 pm by Theta Sigma
I'll see what I can do.  I took most of the week off work, and part of my current plan is to work on what will hopefully be my final attempt with the former and plaster.   

The thick vs. thin thing was just removing excess material from the underside to make the 3D printing cheaper.

The real difference between the last render of a full roundel and the current former design is the width of the outermost ledge before the vertical dropoff.  That, and the conversion of the first fat "ring" from a perfect circular shape to a slight oval.  This was all documented in earlier posts.

"I just put 1.795372 & 2.204628 together." - 4th Doctor

karsthotep

roger that man, thanks for looking into that, I appreciate it. 

gaf5752

sorry... coming late to the discussion...
Based on the floorplans published elsewhere on this site (for season 15 and for trial of a timelord) it seems that the roundel used was 21.5 inches (550 mm).
How does this match the reference prop used here?
Could it have shrunk in 30 years?  or could it have been from some other element, such as the interior door?
Is it possible that the plans need to be scaled down?

DrGaz

Quick question about roundels on the Five Doctors console room. I'm a bit confused.

Are the roundels on the illuminated walls the same as the ones one the door wall, except the ones on the door wall are painted white?

How is it that the roundels that are mounted in the circular recesses of the doors do not have visible flanges? Were they trimmed off?

Kingpin

Quote from: DrGaz on Feb 02, 2023, 10:49 amHow is it that the roundels that are mounted in the circular recesses of the doors do not have visible flanges? Were they trimmed off?

They were attached to the non-filming sides of the set walls with flanges:

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jul 11, 2017, 03:28 amhttp://www.thepropgallery.com/tardis-roundel
Quote from: undefinedDoctor Who

TARDIS roundel

This original TARDIS roundel was used in the production of the long running BBC television series Doctor Who.

The roundels are a key feature of The Doctor's TARDIS having been used from the very beginning of the series in 1963. This style of roundel was used from the Tom Baker serial The Invisible Enemy (1977) throughout the remainder of the classic series until the set was destroyed after filming The Greatest Show in the Galaxy (1989), it was also utilised in various episodes as the Master's TARDIS which was the same interior set painted black.

The roundel is constructed from fiberglass and features a number of mounting holes where it was attached to the set, remnants of black paint are also visible from when the set was painted for used as the Master's TARDIS interior, the piece measures 22" in diameter and remains in excellent screen used condition.

An iconic image synonymous with the series and an incredibly rare example of an original prop used throughout the tenure of four incarnations of The Doctor.
arou1.jpgarou3.jpgarou4.jpgarou5.jpgarou6.jpgaroubase.jpgd5-6j-c254.jpg

DrGaz

Ah, but the thing is that they're attached to both sides of the doors, and no flange is visible on either side. Therefore they either would have either

a) Trimmed the flange off and glued the roundel into the circular recess

or,

b) Mounted the roundel in the door recesses with the flange, and glued a disc over the flange to disguise the flange.

DrGaz

Actually it looks like the just glued them in place with the flange visible (see image below). It's almost impossible to see.

glued.jpg

DrGaz

Pic from The Pirate Planet where you can clearly see that the roundels are just screwed down into the door recesses:
099PiratePlanet0012.jpg