Apr 18, 2024, 01:45 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Jam Jar Lurker's Golden TARDIS

Started by Jam Jar Lurker, Mar 27, 2020, 07:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsuthern

Jam Jar...

There is one Universal truth, which is...

Here on TB... We love pictures!!

Regards,

Russell

Jam Jar Lurker

Sep 21, 2020, 09:55 pm #166 Last Edit: Sep 21, 2020, 10:06 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
Quote from: Volpone on Sep 21, 2020, 02:37 amI can't get over how effective that backdrop is in photos.  Dunno what it looks like IRL, but in the photos it is just magical. 

Here is the image Aidan created in all its glory:
IMG_20200701_205716_311.jpg

Even when printed on a large scale, on vinyl (and in CYMK), it's a very vivid and sharp image. Seeing it as you push open the door and enter the box is quite a sensation. And for a flat image, it's very convincing as you catch sight of it from the garden.
PSX_20200921_222516.jpg

I got friendly with Aidan on Instagram. He asked me to check some measurements for his virtual model. All very Logopolis, although I didn't go the full Adric and climb up on the roof.

Because he'd mapped out the entire console room, it was great being able to discuss the position of the "camera" and the eyeline to get the image just right.

He's now done a few different versions to match the design and lighting of several different Smith and Capaldi episodes. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing a couple.
IMG_20200921_180238_254.jpgIMG_20200921_180245_572.jpg
He's been working on the Tennant and early Smith interiors too, as well as providing some Daleks and Mechanoids to be incorporated into Big Finish covers.

Francis
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

Angelus Lupus

I love seeing these 'backdrop' type images - really sells the illusion!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

russellsuthern

Love these backdrops.

This by far my favourite of all the "Nu-Who" consoles. 

Cheers,

Russ

Angelus Lupus

Certainly near the top of the list for me - I love how it blends the new look with the classic love of buttons, without adding all the (sometimes literal) bells and whistles in-between and around and under the six panels! The second version with the aditions and changes to the lighting are my favourite - although I agree with the 1st Doctor that it could look a little dark. ;D Not sure the two side console/control units ever got utilised enough to justify being there, and I'd be perfectly happy without them.
Regardless, these are lovely images (that I have saved to my 'Backdrops and views from the doors' folder - feel free to pass on my/our compliments to the artist!
A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: russellsuthern on Sep 21, 2020, 07:25 amThere is one Universal truth, which is...

Here on TB... We love pictures!!

Be careful what you wish for...
IMG-20200923-WA0017.jpg
It's Charlotte's 4th Birthday today.
20200923_202208.jpg
IMG-20200923-WA0018.jpg

(TARDIS awaiting it's winter coat of paint.)
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

Volpone

I love everything about this box, but the thing I'll go with for loving most is the black roof.  God knows I've been there.  Slap on the tar.  "Black looks a lot like dark blue.  No one will notice."
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

redfern

Quote from: Volpone on Sep 24, 2020, 03:20 amI love everything about this box, but the thing I'll go with for loving most is the black roof.  God knows I've been there.  Slap on the tar.  "Black looks a lot like dark blue.  No one will notice."

Alternatively, tell fans you're going for that 1960s broadcast appearance. ;-)

Sincerely,

Bill

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: redfern on Sep 24, 2020, 01:18 pm
Quote from: Volpone on Sep 24, 2020, 03:20 amSlap on the tar.  "Black looks a lot like dark blue.  No one will notice."

Alternatively, tell fans you're going for that 1960s broadcast appearance. ;-)

Sincerely,

Bill

It's a carefully planned tribute to the Glasgow boxes of my childhood!

1581926710097_B47.jpg
It's funny how as a kid you notice and soak in so many details without questioning them. Until joining TARDIS Builders it never crossed my mind to wonder why Glasgow had black roofs... Having said that, the wrong arrangement of panels on the front has always, and continues to, upset me.

Anyway, hoping to put on a winter coat of blue in the next week or two.

Francis

Jam Jar Lurker

Frostios
PSX_20200927_102501.jpg
Returned from our road trip to discover the first frost of Autumn/Winter.

What fresh Hell is this?

Volpone

Well, it *is* 2020.  We're about due for the dimensional rift in the Pacific to start spitting out *kaiju*.  Or a Dalek invasion.  Or something. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Jam Jar Lurker

Oct 03, 2020, 02:03 pm #176 Last Edit: Oct 03, 2020, 02:07 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
Quote from: Volpone on Aug 09, 2020, 01:20 amIt would be too self-referential (probably) to work on the show, but it would be awfully fun to have a Dr. Who episode like "An Unearthly Child," where the Doctor is the eccentric neighbor that has a TARDIS-shaped garden shed and the nosy neighbors elbow their way in to discover it is actually a TARDIS. 
Our garden now reminds me of wee Suzie Who's backyard from the Peter Cushing films. That was the first time I ever saw the TARDIS lit up and it's what I think of now when I see it illuminating the garden.
PSX_20201003_143308.jpgPSX_20201003_143410.jpg
I love those films and cannot understand the hate for them. I love that there's a difference version, a different take out there.

Francis

Jam Jar Lurker

redfern

Quote from: Jam Jar Lurker on Oct 03, 2020, 02:03 pmI love those films and cannot understand the hate for them. I love that there's a difference version, a different take out there.

Francis

Alas, I think some people become more concerned how things "fit together" (canon, continuity, whatever word one prefers) than just enjoying an entertaining romp.  Since the Cushing movies seemingly don't integrate that seamlessly with the series, they are often met with resistance.    The irony, of course is that continuity within the series proper has been tenuous at best.  I mean, three conflicting demises for Atlantis...

But really, compared to some movie adaptations of other media, it's amazing how much of the original narrative was maintained!  Besides, they had Peter Cushing...as the Doctor, heh, heh, excuse me, as Dr. Who.  (I read somewhere that supposedly William Hartnell himself approved of the choice.)  They could have ditched the police box for something different, like a red phone box or some generic "Wayback Machine".  They could have totally redesigned the Daleks.  Thankfully, they kept both.

Besides, while not actually presented in the final teleplay, the 50th anniversary episode would have "fitted" the AARU films into the series...as what they were, movies.  Supposedly, upon their return to 1960s Earth, Barbara and Ian get the notion to "fictionalize" their adventures with the Doctor, writing a screenplay that is eventually bought and filmed as two movies, both starring Peter Cushing.  One account claims the "Easter egg" would have been a movie poster seen within the UNIT/Torchwood controlled archives.  probably too small to be seen would have been text stating "from a screenplay by Barbara Weight (or something to that effect).  The other anecdote claims that Tennant and Smith's Doctors are kicking back, watching the movies and kinda' "riffing" them as John Hurt's Doctor is simply "bemused".  Either way, I think that's a rather "tongue in cheek" meta way of bringing everything together.

Sincerely,

Bill

BoundryHopper

I don't see them as 'real' Doctor Who.  It doesn't help that I really can't stand watching things with Roy Castle in, he always creeped me out even as a child.  The second film was far to slapstick for for me, it was more like a Carry On Doctor (Who?) film.  Also I always felt that they changed to much, and even now I rarely watch remakes of old films or TV series as I don't like watching something that's just 'another take' on an existing film/Series.  The moment Marvel started recasting and rebooting their films I stopped watching them all.