Apr 19, 2024, 02:31 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Jam Jar Lurker's Golden TARDIS

Started by Jam Jar Lurker, Mar 27, 2020, 07:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jam Jar Lurker

"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

Jam Jar Lurker

The TARDIS, the Moon and Venus.
20200426_214627.jpg
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

Jam Jar Lurker

These were taken within a few seconds of each other, but Amanda's phone has a night time setting.
IMG-20200425-WA0024.jpgIMG-20200425-WA0023.jpg

Jam Jar Lurker

Volpone

Ooh...the backdrop looks amazing, lit up at night.  At least it does in a photo.  Obviously I don't know if the effect is as impressive in person, but one would assume. 

Even with my solar signal lamp, I was doing some experiments (when I had more time).  If you look at solar lamps, they'll often have a mirrored reflector at the bottom to help increase the light.  Mine didn't really have that, so I was trying to come up with something shaped like a lightbulb to catch and diffuse the light.  There's a hack of making a lantern by shining a cell phone (or a flashlight, one would assume) up into a bottle of water.  The problem being that water is going to freeze in winter (I actually confirmed this in my relatively mild climate).  Never got around to buying rubbing alcohol and it didn't occur to me to use gin or vodka until I'd kind of given up on my experiments.  And as it happened, a plain old burnt out frosted glass lightbulb worked pretty well. 

I also looked for one of those plastic magnifier sheets (which actually use the Fresnel principle) to line the inside of my glass lantern chimney, since it isn't an actual Fresnel lens, but I couldn't just buy one locally and wasn't in the mood to send for one. 

I mention all this because looking at your pics, if there is a way to take the top off your lantern so the light shines up as well or you could add a second light that points up into the lantern and then had some kind of light diffuser and/or lens to the lantern interior, you could light up your light without a need to run AC power to it. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

I agree with Volpone,
That backdrop looks awesome!!   :D

Russ

Jam Jar Lurker

Thanks Volpone. Some good ideas to experiment with. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yes indeed Volpone and Russ, the backdrop is very effective (which I can't take any credit for). We were in the garden most of the day today. I left the door open and every now and again it would catch my eye by surprise and I'd smile. Still got a notion for something a little moodier and with a higher eyeline, but very pleased to have it.

Francis 20200506_163143.jpg20200506_160003.jpg

Jam Jar Lurker

May 07, 2020, 08:17 pm #97 Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:22 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
One of the smaller jobs along the way; spraying the phone panel with automotive lacquer to protect the raised lettering. To be honest, I chose this can based on Amazon reviews and that it wouldn't take weeks to arrive through the lockdown. Time will tell...20200507_135821.jpg
And as soon as I press send, I'll start Episode Three of the Daemons. I'm on my first ever watchthrough and it's taken me 16 months to reach here. But I have a bowl of cream of chicken soup, so here we go...

scotland yard

Well, I hope it works well, because remember, the Dæmons destroy their failures. Enjoy!
Oh my giddy aunt!!

Jam Jar Lurker

May 07, 2020, 10:05 pm #99 Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:06 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
Dear Scotland Yard,

How did you get your "a" and "e" in
Quote from: scotland yard on May 07, 2020, 09:56 pm
Dæmons

to join?

Rassilons Rod

Its a special letter, it exists in Norwegian,  for example (and probably snuck into old English via the Vikings... think  Æthelred  and so on)...

If you're on your phone,  hold down the a on your keyboard and you'll get a bunch of variants on the letter "a"... å, æ, ă, ă, ą, à, á, â, ã, ä....

If you're on a computer,  search Google for: ae character

You can just copy paste from the results   :)

Quote from: Jam Jar Lurker on May 07, 2020, 10:05 pm
Dear Scotland Yard,

Dæmons

to join?
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

Jam Jar Lurker

Dæmons...

You learn something everyday on TARDIS Builders!

scotland yard

Quote from: rassilonsrod on May 07, 2020, 10:30 pm
Its a special letter, it exists in Norwegian,  for example (and probably snuck into old English via the Vikings... think  Æthelred  and so on)...

If you're on your phone,  hold down the a on your keyboard and you'll get a bunch of variants on the letter "a"... å, æ, ă, ă, ą, à, á, â, ã, ä....

If you're on a computer,  search Google for: ae character

You can just copy paste from the results   :)

Quote from: Jam Jar Lurker on May 07, 2020, 10:05 pm
Dear Scotland Yard,

Dæmons

to join?

You've beaten me to it!

It's quite simple from a phone or tablet, as you said. But if you're on a computer, there's this program called "character map" installed with Windows. I think it has a counterpart in Apple, but I'm not sure... anyway, it supposedly has all characters and symbols of unicode, so naturally sometimes it gets tricky to find stuff there, and then Google's your friend there. But character map is a handy tool to have anyway.
Oh my giddy aunt!!

Jam Jar Lurker

May 08, 2020, 01:41 pm #103 Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 01:45 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
20200508_141646.jpg
There's a gap between my doors mostly, but not entirely, hidden by the central divider. You can see light escaping from the top of the divider in the picture above.
51e4Znv02gL._AC_SY400_.jpg
My solution was to add some self adhesive waterproof insulation foam tape to the inside of the right door; I've borrowed this picture from Amazon to show the dimensions. There was something very satisfying in applying it that made me want to cover the entire world.
20200507_134453.jpg20200507_134516.jpg20200507_134537.jpg
There is also a gap where the doors meet the floor, so I added some there too.
20200508_141010.jpg
Freshly painted TARDIS floors do not stay clean for long!

Jam Jar Lurker

May 08, 2020, 08:46 pm #104 Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 10:18 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
Despite the TARDIS like properties of a Police Box replica, a gap at the bottom of the door on the inside is not any smaller on the outside.
20200505_140519.jpg
Although loving the black foam insulation tape, I felt it was rather too chunky and noticeable for the outside. So I started by applying some of the narrower, rounded white foam I had used to form the interior window frames. And initially it worked very well, especially when painted.
20200505_141857.jpg20200507_134202.jpg
However, the space was larger on the main, right hand door. The foam was too narrow and either missed the gap entirely, or got pulled under the door whenever it opened. So, like a Dæmon, I destroyed my failure and stated again. I went back to the black. It is a bit chunky, and does take away a little from the definition of the central divider at the bottom, but I don't mind it as much as I'd expected. And it doesn't have to be permanent.
20200507_152701.jpg
The Superdec does a nice job of binding and blending the two textures. It puts me in mind of some of those curious modifications we would see in the old Annual illustrations.
20200508_191416.jpg
And now, if you'll excuse me, I've reached Day of the Daleks. I do prefer the Special Edition DVD, but I feel as this is a watchthrough I should watch the original.