News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Jam Jar Lurker's Golden TARDIS

Started by Jam Jar Lurker, Mar 27, 2020, 07:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jam Jar Lurker

Apr 17, 2020, 07:15 am #60 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2020, 07:20 am by Jam Jar Lurker
20200416_194835.jpg20200416_200559.jpg
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

davidnagel

Hiding in the box I see!
Regards
David

moonbeam

Looking very lovely, what is the construction of the box, plywood and timber? Or is there any fibre glass parts?

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: davidnagel on Apr 17, 2020, 09:01 am
Hiding in the box I see!

Just checking the lateral balance cones.
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: moonbeam on Apr 17, 2020, 10:00 am
Looking very lovely, what is the construction of the box, plywood and timber? Or is there any fibre glass parts?

No fibre glass. Not sure what kind of wood was used; pretty heavy in places.

superrichi1a

Loving seeing this come together! Everything looks really nicely sealed up so far, so I'm hopeful you'll battle through that Glasgow weather! Again I'm noticing how spot on your new choice of blue looks, very, very nice match :)
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Jam Jar Lurker

Thank you; fingers crossed. The blue is an approximation but I'm very pleased with it. It's a little brighter and more intense than the original, and satin rather than matt (Superdec tints are all satin). But to be honest,  I prefer it.

Francis

Jam Jar Lurker

Apr 17, 2020, 09:38 pm #67 Last Edit: Apr 17, 2020, 10:34 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
We had a lovely clear sky tonight with a great view of Venus, so we experimented with some camping lights.

(You can see here the disadvantage of the blacked out T-shape on the windows.)

Francis

IMG_20200417_222318_737.jpg

Volpone

I didn't read how you did the blackout "T" and I've never tried to remove auto glass tinting, but you could always experiment with a lighter tint (if it's possible to get the film off).  The stuff you used literally blots out the sun and I suspect you'd be surprised by how light a tint you could use and still get a black effect. 

I monkeyed about for ages, trying to get the classic series pebbled glass "T" effect until I figured out how to do a mock-up pebbled glass and it is literally effortless them.  The "T" looks dark and the bottom corners really pick up the light. 

I also did an A-Team van.  The van for the show has blacked-out (and later painted over on the inside) rear windows (which is fine because the prop van has no windshield rearview mirror--only side mirrors) but since the bugger is already a rolling blind-spot and I'm not a professional truck driver, I like a rear view mirror, so I went with the lightest tint I could find for the back windows.  And since the cargo area of the van has no light source (just the windshield and front door windows) a fairly light tint gets a decent black effect most of the time.  Indeed, it didn't even look *that* bad before I put the tint on . 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Jam Jar Lurker

Apr 18, 2020, 07:09 am #69 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2020, 07:12 am by Jam Jar Lurker
Hi Volpone,

Many thanks for your help. I used the windows that came with the TARDIS, which have textured clear panels and an adhesive black T. They're all pretty solidly sealed in now, but maybe I'll try a variation in the future.

In the UK Doctor Who lost a lot of viewers to the A-Team during the Sixth Doctor's first season. JN-T argued that Who's violence had consequences  and was therefore more "responsible" than the A-Team's. The BBC disagreed (among other criticisms).

Francis

superrichi1a

There are certainly things you can do to get the black sections to light up if you want!

When I first built my box I did quite a few experiments with plastics and light levels, and I was very happy with what I eventually arrived at if I do say so myself! Black in the day but fully lit at night, so always worth digging around and seeing what you like the look of in the future!

I do think your windows look excellent as-is, though. And remember, it's still screen accurate like this! A number of times the BBC TV Centre promotional box doubled for the real deal, and it had windows that lit up in this way. Can't remember exactly when and where its appearences were off the top of my head, but one of them was at Children in Need with Matt Smith.
Isn't it how ironic that we have to think of solutions out of the box, in order to build our boxes a lot of the time?

Jam Jar Lurker

Apr 18, 2020, 12:58 pm #71 Last Edit: Apr 18, 2020, 04:30 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
IMG-20200418-WA0021.jpg

About to touch up the paint on a couple of spots before replacing the St John Ambulance badge.

kutan66

Quote from: Jam Jar Lurker on Apr 18, 2020, 12:58 pm
IMG-20200418-WA0021.jpg

"Advise And Assistance Available Immediately"  Literally!

Jam Jar Lurker

Maybe a should get her a wee sign like Lucy in Peanuts: "The Doctor is in!"

Jam Jar Lurker

IMG-20200210-WA0000.jpeg

When I brought my TARDIS home, I was surprised to discover that the St John Ambulance badge was a sticker. However, Will Brooks' history of 21st Century TARDIS props
https://medium.com/tardis-history/introduction-e229a8e22560
points out that this was often the case with the Smith/Capaldi boxes. So it's authentically inauthentic. It was sad to remove something that had always been part of this box (and you can see it's left its mark), but needs must.

20200402_175635.jpg20200402_175827.jpg20200402_175845.jpg