May 19, 2024, 02:28 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Jam Jar Lurker's Golden TARDIS

Started by Jam Jar Lurker, Mar 27, 2020, 07:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

phillbarron

Well that looks fantastic! What's it printed on?

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: phillbarron on Jul 19, 2020, 09:00 amWell that looks fantastic! What's it printed on?
😊
It's a vinyl banner. They're a few printers online that I investigated. The one I chose let me determine the precise size and had the best price; £52 including postage.
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

Angelus Lupus

A mixed-up non-conformist, trying to fit in.

Jam Jar Lurker

It was a dark and stormy night...IMG_20200723_171627_030.jpgIMG_20200723_172705_546.jpg
"Have courage, and be kind... Where there is kindness, there is goodness. And where there is goodness, there is magic."

Osiran

It looks so good with the lighting on at night.

Dave
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes". The 4th Doctor

Jam Jar Lurker

New Skills I Developed Today
1 - Re-felting a shed roof.
2 - Pretending to be a unicorn.
3 - Chatting casually with my next door neighbour as though standing at the top of a ladder using a hairdryer on the family TARDIS was a perfectly ordinary thing to do.
#LifelongLearning

Jam Jar Lurker

Aug 06, 2020, 02:00 pm #126 Last Edit: Aug 06, 2020, 02:42 pm by Jam Jar Lurker
Lighting Update

If you remember, I hung a USB rechargeable camping light inside my TARDIS which illuminated the interior, the sign boxes and the windows.

Yesterday I got a worklight (2 pack for £16 on Amazon) to sit in the lamp.

It's also rechargeable. You can see it has five modes. The single LED mode was dismissed by a reviewer as useless, but thanks to the fresnel it's nearly as effective as the high power mode. Sadly the flash is too fast and, well, red.

I've still to determine the best way to hang it to allow ease of use, but here's a couple of pics.41kX9uxlvaL._AC_SY400_.jpgPSX_20200806_091730.jpgPSX_20200806_091603.jpgPSX_20200806_091851.jpg

Francis

kutan66

We wanna see the red!

moonbeam

That last picture, the one with the door open looks absolutely epic!

Jam Jar Lurker

Jam Jar Lurker

Quote from: moonbeam on Aug 08, 2020, 01:03 pmThat last picture, the one with the door open looks absolutely epic!

Thanks😊 I still get a thrill every time I catch sight of her in the garden. Looking forward to taking some foggy pictures and the obligatory snowy scene.

Francis

Volpone

It would be too self-referential (probably) to work on the show, but it would be awfully fun to have a Dr. Who episode like "An Unearthly Child," where the Doctor is the eccentric neighbor that has a TARDIS-shaped garden shed and the nosy neighbors elbow their way in to discover it is actually a TARDIS. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

Looks great...
I'm sure I read on TB somewhere that occasionally original Police Boxes had red lamps.

Did I read that or imagine it?

Regards,

Russ

Jam Jar Lurker

The Adventure of the Ventilation Shaft

Many thanks to @Volpone @RussellSuthern @ScotlandYard and @Kutan66 for their help and advice regarding ventilation.

After considering the options, the TPE design and my limited experience, I decided to install an exterior grill from B&Q. Because of the backdrop and the location of my box in the garden, I decided to place it on the left wall rather than the back.

Slicing into the old girl was heartbreaking; terrifying too, as it's only the second time in my life I've touched a jigsaw (truth be told, I kept putting it off).

I used the trusty old Sikaflex as both adhesive and sealant, then covered inside and out with the Superdec.

Francis
PSX_20200810_093623.jpgPSX_20200810_085415.jpgPSX_20200810_085849.jpg

russellsuthern

That's a clever solution.
When I saw the 1st picture, I thought, "Oh God- What have you done?!"
But then when I saw the finished, painted job I breathed a sigh of relief.
It looks very subtle & discreet.

Well done!

Russell