Apr 20, 2024, 02:17 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Building a Type 40 Gallifreyan Flutterwing console

Started by shane spangler, Feb 12, 2020, 08:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shane spangler

Quote from: ciderman on Feb 13, 2020, 07:43 am
The metal 'collander' looks great at the rotors base. It's a superb design. Is the glass column one piece or a wrap around with a join? If one piece where did you get it from?

Thank you very much! The thing is just a 12 inch diameter chrome plated wire fruit basket, but it has a 1.5 inch hole in the bottom which is perfect for the 1 inch acrylic rod.

The rotor outer shell is a one piece cast acrylic cylinder.  There is a company in Kansas City: Regal Plastcs that does spin casting. They did a beautiful job. However, Since that time, I have found many other companies that are much cheaper. Some specialize in bending plexiglass into cylinders. You would have a seam, but the price would be about 1/10 of what this thing cost. I bought it 10 years ago.
Shane Spangler

shane spangler

Quote from: russellsuthern on Feb 13, 2020, 08:47 am
How have I missed this?
(I'll blame advancing years..._)

This is such an amazing build.
I am so jealous!!

Can't wait to see future updates!

Keep up the good work.

Thank you, Russell!   You haven’t missed it – I only posted this yesterday! It was snowing, so I had a little extra time on my hands to put up the pictures at all. Thanks for the encouragement!! -S
Shane Spangler

shane spangler

Quote from: cosmichobo02 on Feb 13, 2020, 09:55 am
Seriously is amazing stuff congratulations looks epic!!

Thank you very much!
Shane Spangler

kert gantry

This looks to be a breathtaking build. She's going to be a beauty!

shane spangler

Feb 13, 2020, 06:58 pm #19 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2020, 11:36 pm by shane spangler
This was on Christmas day 2019. Testing the time rotor and internals.  If you listen carefully, you will notice that it does indeed wheeze like a grampus. But a very small one. That is belt noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R_d2s53vTsTARDIS video.jpg
Shane Spangler

karsthotep

I do really love the time rotor design.  Classic elements but different,  the blue totally works.
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

karsthotep

No you are doing fine.  If you want to add the quote of a previous comment just select the person and click quote, it will create a comment with the quote in it.  Other wise its fine.  Comment or quote for replying, and post update for big build update.

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

shane spangler

Feb 13, 2020, 09:37 pm #22 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2020, 09:50 pm by shane spangler
Just re-posting my first pic - Here is a picture of the console as it is right now in February 2020, with the fins set in place.  The fins are made of 3/32" steel - by Ryan at Custom Sheet Metal of Topeka - perfect fit.  I love them so much!

35E17F79-3BA4-4FFA-A611-253097F26081.jpegNo message is associated with this attachment.
Shane Spangler

karsthotep

That is exactly the route I went with for the fins,  they are bent sheet metal.   Have you fastened them to the console yet?  If so how did you do that.  If you haven't what are you thinking?  I still haven't thought of a permanent method to mount mine.   A few idea's floating around but nothing solid. 

Karsten

shane spangler

Feb 13, 2020, 10:08 pm #24 Last Edit: Feb 13, 2020, 10:11 pm by shane spangler
Ryan cut 3 holes for me down the center of the fin, one at each end and one in the middle.  I am going to fasten the fins down with #24 stainless steel machine screws that will go into screw-in furniture inserts placed in the frame under the panel edges.  (Does this make sense?)  That way, the fins will hold the panels in place evenly, and can be removed as much as necessary without wearing out the wood underneath.  This might not work for your console, as you probably don't want screw heads showing on the fins.  Maybe you could countersink the holes in the fins?  I don't  mind the screw heads, because they're nice looking stainless steel, and I'm going for a 1960's sports car vibe anyway.  I even thought about having the fins chrome-plated, but that was going to cost $90 each! 
Shane Spangler

karsthotep

Hmm interesting approach, I might need to borrow that idea and do some tests.   As for my fins, as I am trying to go accurate in this build if you look at some of the screen shots you can see drill holes on the top of the fins, they are visible in the Pertwee and early baker consoles, so having those holes would not be off putting for me.   Thanks for that info.

klamath

I'd like to add to the chorus of appreciation for your work. It looks fantastic already.

fivefingeredstyre

Very smooth Time Rotor action going on there!

shane spangler

Thank you very much indeed! My goal was smooth time rotor action. There were many months of wobbly action preceding it, I can tell you.
Shane Spangler

kutan66

Quote from: shane spangler on Feb 13, 2020, 06:58 pm
This was on Christmas day 2019. Testing the time rotor and internals.  If you listen carefully, you will notice that it does indeed wheeze like a grampus. But a very small one. That is belt noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R_d2s53vTsTARDIS video.jpg

That is fabulous.  I could watch that going up and down all day!