Apr 16, 2024, 07:42 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1963 Pilot : Unearthly Child Pilot console

Started by handofomega, Aug 12, 2017, 04:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

galacticprobe

Aug 16, 2017, 05:58 pm #15 Last Edit: Aug 16, 2017, 05:59 pm by galacticprobe
A good example of that in the US is the 'Lost In Space' pilot episode. It was only made for the network suits to sell the series. (Granted, Irwin Allen, not wanting to waste the footage, managed to integrate it into the first 5 or so episodes of the series.) But the actual pilot itself was not aired as an episode. The first time it saw any air time was in the 1990s as part of the (then good) SciFi Channel's "Pilot Playhouse" week, when they would show all unaired pilots that were made, or at least the ones they could get their hands on, including the original 'UFO' pilot, which differed slightly from the first episode, "Identified", and the pilot movie (again one of Irwin Allen's) "City Beneath The Sea", which used cannibalized props from the cancelled 'Lost In Space' and 'Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea'.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

darren79

The DVD release compounds the confusion - the Play All setting goes straight into the Pilot recording - I expect there are a few people who have skipped the proper Broadcast version thinking it was just a straight repeat.

I made a video ages ago comparing the differences - https://youtu.be/22lynQJwCz0

danielc

From the TARDIS Chronicles Book

warmcanofcoke

why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.