Apr 19, 2024, 05:25 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Hi-Res Photo of Console Room

Started by elphaba, Aug 10, 2008, 11:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisJustinOnline

looie

ughh.. the links for the hi-res images no longer work. Would someone be willing to share again, please?? ;)

many thanks in advance..

galacticprobe

Jun 16, 2013, 04:35 am #32 Last Edit: Jun 16, 2013, 04:39 am by galacticprobe
Here is it. I "jigsawed" this together from the images on the Bonham's site when they auctioned off a piece of the wall section a few years ago. It's how the room and console appeared during the 9th Doctor's run. It took a while to assemble this from all the fragments, and while this is a huge image (open it in a new window or tab to see it full size), I had to reduce the quality so it would meet the Forum's image size (Bytes) limit of 500k:

2009HugeBackground01-477.jpg

The really high-res image is just over 2MB, but physically (length and width) it's the same size. (Unfortunately it's not of the room as it appeared when standing in the TARDIS' main entry doorway.) It's still a bloody beautiful shot, though! ;D

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

companion92

Aug 04, 2014, 02:32 am #33 Last Edit: Aug 04, 2014, 03:47 am by companion92
Hi all, I'm brand new to this site (just registered yesterday), but have been admiring the high quality TARDIS police box builds, interior art, and reference pics for months and am amazed at the dedication to detail people put into these things, all for the love of the Doctor's most trusted companion.  Anyway, I, like all of you guys have been searching and searching for a nice shot of the Eccelston/Tennant coral interior for when i finally get around to building my own police box (I'm working backwards, i know), and must say you all have done a fine job on your photo editing and research.  Anyway, back to my original point, i received a copy of The Essential Doctor who bookazine: The TARDIS in the mail, and was flipping through the pages when I came across this:

I'm not 100% positive, but i am very, very sure that this is the graphic that the show used from season 2 through at least season 3 ep. 1 The Runaway Bride.  will put up reference pics in my next post.
IMG_0827.jpg

Sorry for the poor resolution, my scanner isn't very good.  Anybody know a company in the U.S. that could take a high res scan without the moire pattern effect and put it onto a disk or flash drive? Like maybe a kinkos or similar photo place? Once i can do that I will post the high res version for everyone to use in their TARDIS.
Molto bene Mike

companion92

Aug 04, 2014, 04:29 am #34 Last Edit: Aug 04, 2014, 04:41 am by companion92
And here is my post with the reference pics. The first is a screencap from the episode with Sarah Jane in season 2 School Reunion, and the second is from The Runaway Bride right after the Doctor and Donna land. Notice the cable placement on the first from the bottom ring on top of the time rotor in the Donna photo compared to my posted interior pic. Sometimes being slightly OCD has its privileges  ;D

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.jpg
Molto bene Mike

galacticprobe

Aug 04, 2014, 05:42 am #35 Last Edit: Aug 04, 2014, 05:54 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: companion92 on Aug 04, 2014, 02:32 am
I'm not 100% positive, but i am very, very sure that this is the graphic that the show used from season 2 through at least season 3 ep.

Actually, this is the Series 1 Eccleston console and interior. The giveaway is the location of the Gyrocompass Repeater:
IMG_0827.jpg
Note the yellow arrow and circle; I've enlarged this and enhanced it as best I could before it started pixelating too much. This is where that compass repeater was for Series 1. It moved from that panel to the one (which we unfortunately can't see from this angle, but is in the general location as the dotted red arrow) after "Parting of the Ways", and was on that metal mesh panel with the switchboard panel (the one Tennant loved bashing with the mallet) from the mini-episode between "Parting" and "Christmas Invasion".

After that, the repeater stayed on that metal mesh panel to the end if its run - including its cameo in "The Doctor's Wife", and is still on that mesh panel now at the Doctor Who Experience.

Just some info for dating of this image, but this is an image I've been looking for! I'm sure others are as well. It can be used for the Tennant Era as well, and if anyone says something about the location of that repeater when you're doing a Tennant Doctor, just call them a "Rivet Counter" and ignore them from then on. ;)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

companion92

Thanks man, great info!!! This is my favorite control room. Im sure things on that set were always being replaced and being put back on during that era, what with being whacked with mallets and sparking/exploding and smoking effects throughout the seasons something's gotta give i suppose lol (just a guess). I was mainly speaking for the graphic backdrop itself though, not the actual set.  Because if you compare the picture with the donna photo, everything matches up 100% with the cables and roundel placement. 

But either way, as said with the pic of the console from the side view, It's still a bloody beautiful shot, though!  ;D
Molto bene Mike

companion92

And I will post a high res version or a link to the high res version once i can get it scanned for everyone to enjoy  :)
Molto bene Mike

galacticprobe

Aug 05, 2014, 01:36 am #38 Last Edit: Aug 05, 2014, 01:44 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: companion92 on Aug 04, 2014, 04:56 pm
I was mainly speaking for the graphic backdrop itself though, not the actual set.  Because if you compare the picture with the donna photo, everything matches up 100% with the cables and roundel placement.

This console room is tied with the original Hartnell for my #1 favorite, so I know what you mean: both were the firsts; the Hartnell was the first of the Series, and the 2005 was the first of the New Series. (And I've always loved glowy panels and thingies like that.)

And you're right about those images matching up 100%. They probably just used the same TARDIS prop backdrop that was used for Eccleston's run, rather than green-screen post-productioning the interior in (like they did aboard the Sycorax ship in "The Christmas Invasion" when Tennant flings the doors open to make his grande entrance - or rather, TARDIS exit). For this shot with Donna they probably thought to save on some of that green-screen SFX money by just reusing the existing backdrop of the prop. That was a smart move; always save money when you can.

However, they probably didn't figure on people like us - the ones with a penchant for analyzing images and screen grabs to this extent, and noticing that things like the cables and things match up with the wrong interior for the current Doctor. (And if you break that word down - "analyze" - it sort of fits, especially with people like me... anal-yze (or in my case - only at times, mind you - "anal eyes"). ;) ;D

It's all in fun, and that really is a great image (for any TARDIS interior between 2005 and 2009)! I can't wait to see the super high-res image you're working on. You're doing great!

Dino.

companion92

That sycorax scene is one of my favorites! The doors are flung open, the Doctor gives that sly smile, and says "Did you miss me?". Lol thats like something I would do.  Yeah, that scene and the TARDIS chase scene in Runaway Bride are right up there in my top favorites.  ;D

QuoteHowever, they probably didn't figure on people like us

I don't think production crews ever figure on people like us,  the kind that are particular to detail to try and replicate their fine work and stop at nothing to accomplish it lol.

And thank you much for the kind words!!! :D I'll try to get it scanned as soon as i can.  So you live in virginia too eh? I was just at va beach a few days ago lol.  Anyway, do you know of a place that could take a high res scan without the moire pattern effect and burn it to a disk? ???

By the way, im also working on the Smith MK1 interior backdrop, using the photo card out of my flight control TARDIS. Gunna take it to a photo restoration shop to remove the creases and a small accidental rip (oops lol ::)).
Molto bene Mike

galacticprobe

Aug 06, 2014, 05:00 am #40 Last Edit: Aug 06, 2014, 05:03 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: companion92 on Aug 05, 2014, 05:40 pm
That sycorax scene is one of my favorites! The doors are flung open, the Doctor gives that sly smile, and says "Did you miss me?". Lol thats like something I would do.  Yeah, that scene and the TARDIS chase scene in Runaway Bride are right up there in my top favorites.  ;D

Yeah! The wife and I love that car chase scene in "Runaway Bride", too! It's one that can rank right up there with Matt Smith's first appearance, and trying to get a decent snack before stumbling onto the fish fingers and custard. (That scene could have gone on for another 20 minutes and we wouldn't have cared. Just how many other foods would he have found repulsive and in what ways would he have gotten rid of them?)

I don't think production crews ever figure on people like us,  the kind that are particular to detail to try and replicate their fine work and stop at nothing to accomplish it lol.

They never do! ;D (But by now, one would think they'd have caught on: we... are... out here!)

And thank you much for the kind words!!! :D

No problem, dude. You've earned them!

I'll try to get it scanned as soon as i can.  So you live in virginia too eh? I was just at va beach a few days ago lol.  Anyway, do you know of a place that could take a high res scan without the moire pattern effect and burn it to a disk? ???

Sounds great. And yeah, I'm in the Malibu subdivision. (I promised my wife that if she married me, one day I'd buy her a house in Malibu... I just forgot to specify which Malibu! ;D)

As for a place that can take a high-res scan? Have you tried Kinko's (if they still exist - there's none around here) or someplace like Office Max/Depot? Other than that you'd have to look up print shops; I can't think of any. (And what exactly is a "moire pattern effect"? I've never heard of that one.

By the way, im also working on the Smith MK1 interior backdrop, using the photo card out of my flight control TARDIS. Gunna take it to a photo restoration shop to remove the creases and a small accidental rip (oops lol ::)).

Fabulous! I know a few people that would love to get a copy of that one for their backdrop as well. Good luck with it; that one isn't easy!

And if you have links to a hosting site with the high-res versions, please post those as well. I'm sure a few people here wouldn't mind taking a look at them... and drool.

Dino.

companion92

Quote(And what exactly is a "moire pattern effect"? I've never heard of that one.

The moire pattern effect is an unfortunate drawback when you're trying to scan printed media like newspapers and magazines and such, i think it has something to do with the way that they are printed. Here is an example:
Moire.jpg
Instead of getting a clear quality image, you get this weird, dotted pattern effect. I suppose there are ways of rectifying this like descreening filters in some scanning softwares, but i don't know how to do it, I just hope that some print shop would be able to scan it to get the crisp, clear image we are after without that pesky pattern.
Molto bene Mike

galacticprobe

Aug 07, 2014, 12:34 am #42 Last Edit: Aug 07, 2014, 12:34 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: companion92 on Aug 06, 2014, 03:40 pm
Instead of getting a clear quality image, you get this weird, dotted pattern effect.

Ah... way back when I always heard that referred to as "dot matrixing", probably because, as you said, those newspaper photos were done with a matrix of dots. Look at it in the article and it's a photo; put a magnifying lens to it and you see a bunch of dots of varying colors (or shades of grey if it was a B&W photo).

I don't know much about Photoshop (I'll be honest; I don't know squat about Photoshop :-\), but maybe someone that knows their way around it can say whether or not Photoshop can eliminate that dot matrix/moire effect.

Thanks for explaining that. (See what happens when you get old? You lose touch with the new lingo! :P)

Dino.

cobalt

Quote from: companion92 on Aug 06, 2014, 03:40 pm
i think it has something to do with the way that they are printed.

Yes, it does. Most commercial printing uses four colors of ink: Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. In order to get all the various shades and tones, the various colors of ink will be laid down in dot tone. One of my jobs in the past was working for The Eye magazine, where I had to do this by hand - for color photos we had what looked like a semi-transparent sheet of plastic, but which was actually made up of millions of tiny dot lenses. This would be laid over the requested photo, and the photo would then be exposed to different colors of light while a B&W photo was taken. Each coor of light got you the dot tint plate for that color.

For artwork the job was even more tedious - using zip-a-tone (pre-printed dot tone on a transparent adhesive plastic) to cut out and hand-assemble printing plates for each color of ink, using an x-actor knife. We had a wall chart showing exactly what colors could be generated by combining different dot pattern strengths together with each color of ink.

Thankfully, someone eventually invented Adobe Photoshop.

I still have a roll of adhesive registration marks someplace.

BioDoctor900

Hi Guys, I had a go at putting a backdrop together, this is what it turned out like....

Console.jpg

Unfortunately it is only a Series 1 Console as the Gyroscope is in the wrong place for Tennant

BioDoctor900