Dec 01, 2020, 12:10 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!


Mystery Science TARDIS

Started by michael27, Nov 08, 2019, 03:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

michael27

Nov 08, 2019, 03:24 am Last Edit: Nov 08, 2019, 03:25 am by michael27
I'm currently designing a finished basement for my house.  I really wanted to work a TARDIS into it somehow.

The basement has an L shape.  The main room will be open, and the branch will be a home theater room.  So why not go through the TARDIS door to get there?

basement render.jpg

I'm going with the Tennant box, the size works better for the space than the Smith/Capaldi, and the flat inside door will look good in the theater room I think.

The basement finishing project won't commence until next Spring, likely, but I'm going to start documenting the build.  I bought my first part, the lamp casing!  I was reading the build diaries, and saw the lamp used by cdkshipbuilder http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=9820.0.  I had to run out to Lowe's and pick one up as soon as I could!  The mounting arm is easily removed, and the "bronze" part is actually plastic, so it will be easy to attach a base and corner posts.

IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG

warmcanofcoke

Quote from: michael27 on Nov 08, 2019, 03:24 am
basement render.jpg

Why not make the sink look like a UNIT lab sink? (Just my inner fanboy talking, pay no mind.)
Nate<br /><br /><br />"The Caves of Androzani": <br />Peri - "I thought you knew everything."<br />The Doctor - "Ahhh, not quite; it's going to worry me until I find out what it is."

michael27

I've been working the last few months on the basement, but nothing really fun to show yet.  I decided to do a little fun work this week.

Tried out some different Krylon spray paint blues. The kids are very invested in this project, so I painted some samples and took a vote. The Oxford Blue was unanimous.

A little bit of sawing and drilling, a little dremel work, and the light is ready for paint!
IMG_0451.JPG

michael27

I'm using some WS2812B (Neopixel) LEDs for the light.  I picked up a 16 x 16 LED Matrix off AliExpress awhile back to play with, and it happened to fit exactly into the space between the base and top of the lamp housing.  I wrapped it around a 2" dowel rod, secured it with zip ties, and screwed that in the center to the base block.

The glass that came with the light was clear.  Using the LEDs really required some diffusion.  I used a frosted glass film applied to the inside of the glass cylinder, which looks really good, but didn't offer as much diffusion as I wanted.  After some trial and error and consulting the internet for ideas, I found that four layers of wax paper just inside the tube got the look I was going for.

The light looks crazy bright in the picture.  I turned it way down, but it still overloads the phone camera sensor.
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0459.jpg
IMG_0462.jpg

michael27


michael27

Been working on the theater room the last few weeks.  Put in the TARDIS base.  Cutouts on the front are to attach the corner posts.  The left and right walls will be built as part of the room.  There's 1/2 inch space in the center for a plywood insert.  There was a post somewhere here where someone had inlaid a brass Seal of Rassilon in the floor, it looked really cool.  I'm hoping to do that at some point, but will probably start with a plain floor.
IMG_0957.jpg

michael27

Been working on the rest of the basement a lot lately, and almost have all the walls framed.  I'm getting ready to frame the police box walls.  I wanted to make sure the wood grain really stood out, so I followed what I'd seen for the actual 2005 TARDIS and tried torching the wood to enhance the grain.  It really was a lot easier than I thought it would be, and the results are outstanding!  

These are some 1x6 boards that I'm using to dress the outside of the corner posts.  I picked out some that had some good grain lines.  

The first picture is what it looked like after torching it.  I'm looking at this thinking, wow, that probably just ruined this board. But...
IMG_1626.jpg

Here it is after using a steel brush to clean out the charred softwood.  It looks amazing, and isn't even painted yet!  This wood was super smooth before any treatment, and you can really see the grain stand out now.  I had been considering using this technique for the TARDIS floor, but wasn't sure how it would turn out.  Now I'm pretty sure that's the way I'm going to go. (Torchwood, of course.)
IMG_1628.jpg