Apr 20, 2024, 01:21 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Unknown Box [1960's)

Started by peterjohn, Nov 04, 2019, 08:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

peterjohn

Nov 04, 2019, 08:24 pm Last Edit: Nov 04, 2019, 08:24 pm by peterjohn
I don't think this has been posted on here before....Apologies if it has BUT I've no idea where this is (was)  ???

First thoughts were Shannon Corner (V32)  BUT only because of the Dunlop sign...But no pub!   ;D

Any Ideas?

PJ

Unknown Box.jpg

dr hue

is it T41 ?

Great west rd

Rassilons Rod

I'm probably wrong. But for some reason I'm thinking of the A40.
In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

peterjohn

I can just make out the last part of the Factory name behind(***MAN)
But wherever it is....It's the first photo of this box!  ;)

PJ

dr hue

Nov 05, 2019, 07:06 am #4 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2019, 07:08 am by dr hue
Does it say EQUIPMENT ?

Another good find PJ.

peterjohn

Quote from: dr hue on Nov 05, 2019, 07:06 am
Does it say EQUIPMENT ?

Yes definitely now you say it!   ;D

dr hue

Could be Gt West Rd

A40

Bath Road

Purley Way ?

Dalekoracle

My initial thought was T41 (...Northwest corner of Great West Road and Windmill Road. Used to be next to the old Performance Cars garage) and I'm interpreting the photo showing (possibly) the work in the foreground maybe being the raised section of the A40. but that's at odds with the photo in this thread, showing the box proximity to a brick built building...
http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=7013.msg92435#msg92435

Now wondering if its the general orientation of the photo that's throwing us, and it might be one of the A40 roundabout / junction boxes... but I still believe that the construction work is related to the A40 elevated section.

Kingpin

I'm not convinced the box in the photo with the new A40 is the same one pictured above (peterjohn, where did you come across that photo?).  The first photo appears to depict the box on a verge between two roadways: the dual carriageway-like road in the foreground, and a parallel access road running in front of the Deco-ish works building.

The foreground building isn't visible at all in the A40 photo, nor do the background structures appear visible either

Dalekoracle

If you re-read my post, it was my initial thought that this might be T41, but dismissed it as its at odds with the surrounding / neighbouring buildings.  *cough* its not T41 *cough*

peterjohn

Quote from: Kingpin on Nov 05, 2019, 10:51 am
I(peterjohn, where did you come across that photo?).  The first photo appears to depict the box on a verge between two roadways: the dual carriageway-like road in the foreground, and a parallel access road running in front of the Deco-ish works building.

I've no idea...I only came across it again whilst I was checking my files and noticed I had it listed as "V32 Shannon Corner ,New Malden [1960's]"which is incorrect...
I have tried all the main reverse search photo apps and they all come back as this photo is unique!  :-\
Incidentally Kingpin what did you mean by "The first photo" ?
There is only one!   ;D

Kingpin

Nov 05, 2019, 08:41 pm #11 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2019, 08:42 pm by Kingpin
Apologies for the lack of clarification, the "other" photo was the one linked to by Dalekoracle as a potential alternate view of the one you'd posted.

Dalekoracle

See my previous comment on that  ;D

dr hue

Nov 05, 2019, 11:26 pm #13 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019, 08:53 am by dr hue
Is it the box on the corner of Great Weston Road and Syon Lane ?

T56 - no current picture :-)

Was resited.

There used to be a Siemens factory on GWR between Syon Lane and Boston Manor Road. They made "EQUIPMENT" and the top sign seems to end in "S"

Also the map shows a garage on the corner which might tie in with the Dunlop sign.

syon-lane-GWR-png.png

Kingpin

Nov 06, 2019, 03:49 pm #14 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019, 03:56 pm by Kingpin
Unfortunately it doesn't look like the building in Peter's photo is the Siemens-Schuckert facility (which appears to be listed as Faraday House).  The architecture and immediate geography don't seem to match (Siemens-Schuckert is listed as the lower blue pin on this section of a 1953 aerial photograph):

T56.jpg
-Source

So while it doesn't appear to be the mystery box, at least there appears to be some extreme zoom out photos of T-56, before the installation of the pedestrian bridge.  ;D

A couple more shots of what I believe to be T-56:

T56c.jpg
(From 1936) -Source

T56b.jpg
(From 1938) -Source

And finally, with the pedestrian bridge in 1939:
T56d.jpg
-Source