Mar 29, 2024, 06:18 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

1:13 Massacre TARDIS!

Started by kert gantry, Nov 02, 2019, 09:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kert gantry

I had this model of the Hartnell Porch knocking around, so...

massporchgthknj.jpg

....it had to be done. 

massporchomkhh.jpg

massporchmdgfj.jpg

Seems the prop had a back wall of some kind (more than the Newbery managed ;)) as a shot with the door ajar shows it was proper dark inside. Maybe the back was thrown up with the same skill and attention to accuracy as the other two temporary sides. Here's my best guess...

massporchibmffjh.jpg

Davros Skaro

Is that a Zarbi that I see spying around the back of the Tardis? (Red arrow) If so where may I ask where you got it as I haven't seen one anywhere.

massporchomkhh - 1.jpg

Chris.
Chris.

kert gantry

Yes, it's one of the lovely figurines from Eagle Moss. Just checked with their online shop and the Zarbis are all sold out for now but if you register with them they can notify you if/when there's another batch available.  :)

Volpone

Hah!  This gets me thinking.  You know how there aren't that many full-sized Newbery's?  (Usually built by someone with a low ceiling.)  How wonderfully obscure would it be to build a full-sized "The Massacre" TARDIS? 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

Cardinal Hordriss

It looks just like the real thing... which is more than can be said for the real thing lol.

There's something I quite like about that substantial roof.

Quote from: Volpone on Nov 03, 2019, 02:13 am
Hah!  This gets me thinking.  You know how there aren't that many full-sized Newbery's?  (Usually built by someone with a low ceiling.)  How wonderfully obscure would it be to build a full-sized "The Massacre" TARDIS?

Would you give it the same flat back?
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

kert gantry

Nov 04, 2019, 09:07 pm #5 Last Edit: Nov 04, 2019, 09:08 pm by kert gantry
Quote from: Volpone on Nov 03, 2019, 02:13 am
Hah!  This gets me thinking.  You know how there aren't that many full-sized Newbery's?  (Usually built by someone with a low ceiling.)  How wonderfully obscure would it be to build a full-sized "The Massacre" TARDIS?

Oh, I agree. It'd be great to see a full-size version of this in all its jerry-built glory. And living not far from Wimbledon Common, I'd love to have it set up in the original location and that photo shoot re-staged, maybe with the girl who played Dodo in the AST film standing in for Jackie Lane! That would be the third time a bad copy of the Brachacki box had appeared in Windmill Road  ;).

kert gantry

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Nov 03, 2019, 03:11 am

There's something I quite like about that substantial roof.

Agreed. While not at all accurate, there have been worse. In fact, I think the prop looks fairly presentable when viewed from straight on.

massboxfronthjkhjk.JPG

We'll probably never know but I've sometimes wondered how much (or little) was shown of the prop's thrown-together nature in the actual episode. The dematerialisation shot could have looked something like this:-

massacredematthisisafake.JPG

Telesnaps courtesy of CO's John Cura action figure (with a little help from my pal Nick Sherratt and Photoshop).

the pioneer

Nov 05, 2019, 10:08 am #7 Last Edit: Nov 05, 2019, 11:40 am by rassilonsrod
Quote from: kert gantry on Nov 04, 2019, 09:38 pm
We'll probably never know but I've sometimes wondered how much (or little) was shown of the prop's thrown-together nature in the actual episode. The dematerialisation shot could have looked something like this:-

The prop was only seen for a few seconds on screen. Dodo's entrance was shown from inside the Ship. Incidently, this was the first time the interior of the Police Box was shown beyond the Tardis doors. Similar to today's current series.
The dematerealisation was all filmed inside the Ship. No external shot and no Policemen.

kert gantry

Quote from: the pioneer on Nov 05, 2019, 10:08 am

The prop was only seen for a few seconds on screen. Dodo's entrance was shown from inside the Ship. Incidently, this was the first time the interior of the Police Box was shown beyond the Tardis doors. Similar to today's current series.
The dematerealisation was all filmed inside the Ship. No external shot and no Policemen.

Ah, thanks. Nice to have help from someone who remembers it clearly. So was there no shot of Dodo pushing through the doors from the outside? Jackie Lane recounted the difficulties she had in doing so in an interview many years ago. Maybe it hit the cutting room floor.

darren79

Quote from: the pioneer on Nov 05, 2019, 10:08 am

I listened to the last scene the other week and I noticed you can hear the sound of police box door shut from the inside of the TARDIS. Shame we can't see it!

kert gantry

Nov 06, 2019, 01:10 am #10 Last Edit: Nov 06, 2019, 01:22 am by kert gantry
The Massacre's one of the few lost Hartnells I don't own on CD. I used to have a pretty good audio tape copy back in the 80s. Could have sworn it sounded like the demat was a location shot but it was a long time ago, my memory ain't all that, and I'd rather take the word of someone who actually saw the story.

It was fun doing the fake telesnaps though.  :)

BTW the pioneer; any more detail you can remember of the external prop's few seconds on view, such as the angle they shot it from?

the pioneer

Quote from: kert gantry on Nov 06, 2019, 01:10 am
Jackie Lane recounted the difficulties she had in doing so in an interview many years ago. Maybe it hit the cutting room floor.

BTW the pioneer; any more detail you can remember of the external prop's few seconds on view, such as the angle they shot it from?

Jackie quite possibly had trouble opening the Police Box door which we saw from the inside.

Afraid I can't remember the exact POV of the external shot.

Another point of interest; when Hartnell gives his "perhaps I should go home" speech, it was not as depicted by Loose Cannon. Beginning with "at least I taught him to turn on the scanner", his emotional speech was delivered as he walked around the far side of the console, semi-propping himself against the various panels as he went. One can hear his hand knocking the panels as he supports himself aound the console. (Slightly reminicent of the 'Brink of Disaster' speech but with normal lighting. Not black background)

No distrespect to Loose Cannon who do a fab job.

kert gantry

Thanks very much, the pioneer.

Must admit I'm a little jealous of those of you who got to see these things that one and only time. A friend of mine vividly remembers the scene where Mrs Harris walked into the sea in Fury From The Deep. That'd be high on my wish-list of returned footage, along with the aforementioned Massacre sequence.