Apr 19, 2024, 09:09 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Season 13 console: components research

Started by lespaceplie, Oct 21, 2019, 03:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lespaceplie

Besides the card, what's under the dome? I've yet to see a clear photo of it.

S13 identify.jpg

warmcanofcoke

Just t get the ball rolling:

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Jan 18, 2011, 03:26 pm
Planet of Evil 1975 4H Season 13 Story 81

Kenneth Sharp Tardis Console Altered

081PlanetofEvil0000.jpg081PlanetofEvil0000.jpg
081PlanetofEvil0001.jpg081PlanetofEvil0001.jpg
081PlanetofEvil0002.jpg081PlanetofEvil0002.jpg
081PlanetofEvil0009.jpg081PlanetofEvil0009.jpg
081PlanetofEvil0011.jpg081PlanetofEvil0011.jpg
081PlanetofEvil0012.jpg081PlanetofEvil0012.jpg
why doesn't the Guide mention them? - Oh, it's not very accurate.
Oh? - I'm researching the new edition.

warmcanofcoke

Oct 24, 2019, 02:48 pm #2 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2019, 02:49 pm by warmcanofcoke
I suspect under the dome a series of three indicator lights on both sides of the red card. [There are also reflections of studio lights on the dome.]

081PlanetofEvil0002Edit.jpg081PlanetofEvil0002Edit.jpg

That's just my interpretation.

warmcanofcoke

Oct 24, 2019, 03:03 pm #3 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2019, 03:13 pm by warmcanofcoke
Also I spy with my little eye some surviving Tardis parts.

081PlanetofEvil0002 hyper edit.jpg081PlanetofEvil0002 hyper edit.jpg

081PlanetofEvil0002 hyper edit2.jpg081PlanetofEvil0002 hyper edit2.jpg

tony farrell

Oct 24, 2019, 06:19 pm #4 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2019, 06:38 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 24, 2019, 03:03 pm
Also I spy with my little eye some surviving Tardis parts.

081PlanetofEvil0002 hyper edit.jpg081PlanetofEvil0002 hyper edit.jpg

Erm, sorry Nate, no. The black switches were salvaged from the first iteration of the Sharp Console i.e., the version used by Jon Pertwee's Doctor. Unlike the black switches fitted on the majority of the control panels on the Brachacki Console, those fitted on the Sharp Console contained no moving parts (i.e., no movable switch), they didn't have tapering sides and were fractionally longer.

The silver handle lever seen above was also retained from Pertwee's Console.

Quote from: warmcanofcoke on Oct 24, 2019, 03:03 pm
081PlanetofEvil0002 hyper edit2.jpg081PlanetofEvil0002 hyper edit2.jpg

I agree that this is a very similar grille but - again - it didn't come from the Brachacki Console. None of the plastic grilles from the Brachacki Console survived past 1970's "Inferno". Neither did this grille appear on Pertwee's Console (there was a magenta-coloured metallic plate fitted on the Pertwee version but this is not what we are seeing here) and so must have been newly sourced for the 1975 refit of the Console.

The two black boxes either side of this red grille do however seem to have been retained from the Pertwee Console - I think that these are the housings from the "Telepathic Circuits" (now minus their amber Butlers' 1518 lenses). If I'm correct then, these are indeed survivors from the original Brachacki Console!  :)

T

warmcanofcoke

Oct 24, 2019, 09:25 pm #5 Last Edit: Oct 24, 2019, 09:31 pm by warmcanofcoke
Allow me to amend my statement, I was referring to the Sharp Magna models console , Not the Shawcraft console. The switches look like the ones on the Pertwee configuration. (Only upside-down) I would have used the corresponding Sharp console art only I do not have access to that at presence. I wanted to make sure the art was credited. Hence art by ....

This was my intended meaning.

"Original" as in: the unaltered Sharp console.

lespaceplie

I just rewatched the pertinent scenes in Planet of Evil, but it's still too much of a blurry glimpse. It for sure has lights inside the dome, though.

Speaking of lights, the whole thing has far more than the S15 refit. There's even red light showing through that vent/pseudo-keyboard thing. I wish the production team had left this console in the S13 guise. It's also the only time in the classic series that the prop was technically white (light grey for studio lighting presumably).

karsthotep

I know what you are talking about in regards to the light on the vent,   I don't think that is the case.  I noticed that as well the first time around and rewatched it and the entire console panel had a flashing red glow on it from a light source above the console it looked like as well as adjacent panels  In my opinion its either a camera artifact or studio lighting making it appear that there is light emanating from the grill section. 

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

karsthotep

I am really glad that this thread has been revived since I will be building all these panels as well as soon as I am done with the Pertwee build.  Looking at the color I chose to straddle the Pertwee and  the season 13 I think I came pretty close.   

Karst
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

Cardinal Hordriss

I think the dome itself may be from a clock face or something similar, It's what I used when I tried recreating the component on one of my early consoles.

I certainly think it would have been found rather than specially made anyway.

Similarly I find it hard to believe all those dummy rocker switches were individually molded or what have you so I thought perhaps they would have been slices of dado rail or those wooden strips that run round the top of walls - no idea what they are called but I can see it working once you sand the back flat.

I know it's just speculation but thought it might help.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Kingpin

Other possibilities for the dome are a glass dinner plate, or possibly even a plastic vacuum form of one.

kutan66

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Oct 25, 2019, 07:10 pm
...perhaps they would have been slices of dado rail or those wooden strips that run round the top of walls - no idea what they are called.

Possibly Picture rails.   They used to hang pictures from them (on string or wire) before plastic plugs, hard nails, or sticky hooks were around!

picture-rail.jpg

tony farrell

Oct 25, 2019, 09:44 pm #12 Last Edit: Oct 25, 2019, 10:28 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: karsthotep on Oct 25, 2019, 05:32 pm
   I know what you are talking about in regards to the light on the vent,   I don't think that is the case.  I noticed that as well the first time around and rewatched it and the entire console panel had a flashing red glow on it from a light source above the console it looked like as well as adjacent panels  In my opinion its either a camera artifact or studio lighting making it appear that there is light emanating from the grill section.  

Karst

If you watch episode one of Planet of Evil , you'll see that this unit is indeed fitted with a red flashing/pulsing light:

Screenshot 2019-10-25 22.35.17.jpg
Screenshot 2019-10-25 22.40.16.jpg

T

lespaceplie

The rocker switches are indeed a strip of cove molding. The strip isn't even cut all the way through into individual pieces. There are screws to mount the entire strips. There are two other switch types that are also made from molding.

The shallow dome might be a repurposed clock dial cover, but it was probably a ready-made component. I'm using a 57.2 mm dished head from E.M.A. for the 1:4 model. Otherwise, slicing the top from a larger hemi would do.

Another thing: The main color isn't so much white as light putty / greige.

One last thing: Do we have a decent reference for the bits on the underside of the soffits over the set walls? Presumably these are more or less the remnants of the pieces from The Three Doctors set.

silverfox

Oct 26, 2019, 07:19 am #14 Last Edit: Oct 26, 2019, 05:38 pm by silverfox
It is 5 years ago now (yike!) but I made a virtual version of this console and discussed the various controls in the thread here:

http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=5438.0