Apr 20, 2024, 06:36 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Newbery box build

Started by moonbeam, Sep 29, 2019, 08:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

moonbeam

Evening all,

I've just started doing a bit of painting and texturing, I did paint the window seen previously the Val spar colour bold move but then thought It was much to dark and by the time I'd started dirtying it down it would look much to dark so have now gone back and picked another Valpspar colour Moroccan resort, much lighter blue and I'm really happy with it.
Also for the texturing I'm using a pva blue grit from tool station, it can be a bit heavy looking so to try and achieve the look I'm doing any filling first then sanding back, a coat of grey wood primer, then the blue grit followed by one coat of the blue which is a satinwood finish, I'm then sanding it all back a bit to flatten it down and giving it another coat. When it's all assembled I'll probably flat bits back again till I'm happy then give it all one last coat.
Also the clear glass has arrived now, just normal picture glass. I'm backing this with grey tracing paper and using yellowy brown grease proof paper for the pebbled glass pieces.
So that's it for a bit, sanding then painting then sanding and more painting, when I finished yesterday it looked like a bomb had gone off in my kitchen!98FCC805-E75B-4AAF-9666-63771343264E.jpeg3C6744EB-0775-4178-9768-100E8117D893.jpeg98FCC805-E75B-4AAF-9666-63771343264E.jpeg

Volpone

Well, you've proved the exception to my rule.  I've always said "you can't go too dark" on the blue. 

Well, on the bright side:
1) If the TARDIS decides she needs a change* you've got a spare shade to go with. 
2) You can use the second shade of blue for your weathering.  Either use it as an undercoat and then be intentionally sloppy on your top coat or add some "touch-up" and dry brush shading with the dark blue over your finished coat (I think the first way would work better). 

*If your TARDIS is anything like mine, it will talk to you.  I don't know about any of the renovations I've done, but at one point it started nagging me that it would look better in the classic 1960s dark blue with white trim.  And after a few years of that, it told me it wanted to go back to the classic all blue of the bulk of the original series.  That was a few months ago and she seems pretty happy with it, but she keeps nagging me that I should have used a darker shade of blue. 
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

russellsuthern

I love the different backings for the window, makes it look very authentic.

I actually like the dark blue, although I'm sure you are aware that the original prop was quite a bit lighter.

But there's no reason to stick slavishly to what the original prop looked like (unless you want to.) After all, I built a Hudolin & painted it Metbox colours!!

Looking forward to see it all come together!!

Russell

moonbeam

Thanks for the comments guys, the shade of blue has took some proper head scratching, the amount of testers I've bought is bonkers! I was convinced the bold move shade was it and the Moroccan resort was to much of a light blue but I'm happy (for now...) with it.
Like the idea of using the too dark colour as an undercoat!
And I'm pretty happy with how the windows are turning out, I'm just on window number 3 although I've actually made 3 more that I wasn't happy with, the one I did Friday night was all wrong measurement wise, just goes to show I shouldn't try to make one at 9 o'clock on a Friday night after 3 or 4 gin and tonics!
I remember when pictures of the Hudolin box when it first came out to advertise the movie, it looked amazing.

Cardinal Hordriss

My attitude to the colouring is more philosophical. Assuming a builder selects a prop to replicate because for them that IS the TARDIS, their all time favourite and/or from their favourite period in the show's history they should do the same with the colour. When was this prop at it's best in your opinion and what did it look like in your favourite stories? I personally wouldn't get too bogged down in precise shades if it met those criteria.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

Volpone

And I hesitate to say this, as I haven't tested it myself--on a TARDIS*--but if you use the dark blue as an undercoat, you could attack some parts of the finished paint with a wire brush.  (Someone like Scarfwearer would have the good sense to do a test on a scrap board before trying it on his actual prop.)  That would expose some of the darker color and add to the weathering.

*I have done an Indiana Jones costume.  The jacket I got was not weathered.  I read that the costume designer, Deborah Nadoolman, weathered her jackets with a pen knife and a wire brush, so I very gingerly worked on the wear areas--seams, shoulders, elbows, etc, with a wire brush and scraping with a knife and it turned out pretty well.  I didn't go crazy like some "distressed" jackets of the period, but I think I got a pretty good 1981 "Raiders" look.   
"My dear Litefoot, I've got a lantern and a pair of waders, and possibly the most fearsome piece of hand artillery in all England. What could possibly go wrong?"
-The Doctor.

moonbeam

Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jan 14, 2020, 01:46 am
My attitude to the colouring is more philosophical. Assuming a builder selects a prop to replicate because for them that IS the TARDIS, their all time favourite and/or from their favourite period in the show's history they should do the same with the colour. When was this prop at it's best in your opinion and what did it look like in your favourite stories? I personally wouldn't get too bogged down in precise shades if it met those criteria.

I think this is the way I'm goner go, I'm quite happy with the colour so far, and I've spent a fair bit off time trying to sort it out, although we'll see how happy I am because in 2or 3 days I'll get to give one side a coat so might get a better idea. The actual colour I'm painting it looks a bit darker in the photos I've taken.

Cardinal Hordriss

Jan 14, 2020, 05:08 pm #22 Last Edit: Jan 14, 2020, 06:07 pm by Cardinal Hordriss
Quote from: moonbeam on Jan 14, 2020, 04:39 pm
Quote from: Cardinal Hordriss on Jan 14, 2020, 01:46 am

I think this is the way I'm goner go, I'm quite happy with the colour so far, and I've spent a fair bit off time trying to sort it out, although we'll see how happy I am because in 2or 3 days I'll get to give one side a coat so might get a better idea. The actual colour I'm painting it looks a bit darker in the photos I've taken.

Good. I think it's the best way of doing things if you're going to be happy with the prop in the long term. You're building it for yourself not for Masque of Mandragora re-shoots with anally retentive fans judging every nut and bolt (you know who you are!), make sure whatever you do is what makes you happiest.
I speak to you from the final days of Gallifrey. I am the past you have forgotten. You are the future I will not live to see...

moonbeam

1D2451A8-CC1A-4278-A20C-444494E5BB97.jpeg296F71B1-B230-431E-9746-538593A5BE2B.jpeg
So this is after 1 coat of grey primer, 1 coat of blue grit for texturing, 2 coats of top coat, then sanded back a bit to flatten the grit back a bit, then two more top coats.
Maybe later one more coat then it should be ready for a bit of weathering.

Volpone

That's looking awfully nice.  It's funny, how much work and technique has to go into making something look "natural."  You'd think just slapping a coat of paint over some texturing would get the job done.  And if you did it and didn't have any frame of reference, it might look fine.  But if you put it next to your work, it would look like crap.  There's times I've done something and I think it looks fine.  But then I add 1 or 2 more little details and the difference is amazing.   
-The Doctor.

moonbeam

Well that's very nice off you to say, thank you.
I keep fiddling about with the texturing because I'm a bit worried it might look over done if you know what I mean, but I think the newbery prop itself looks quite heavily textured.

moonbeam

Hi all,

Just an update to show where I am with the build, it's going a bit slow but it's moving!
The two sides and back are finished for now, the windows too but I've not fitted them yet.
Now I've started on the corner posts, theses are proving very time consuming because when I made them first I never fitted the quadrant pieces, mainly because I could never find the right size so now I've bought 27mm and are cutting/planing/sanding each one to fit and it's taking ages!
First one nearly complete, just got to flat the texturing back a bit and two more coats on top.

Also I've got some rubber sheet and for a stencil idea for the top signs, trying to replicate the slight misalignment of the lettering, how this plans out we shall see.....A76EEEB4-3B29-4963-AF63-352973206A35.jpeg87E36E83-382D-4A77-B7BB-F77FD9095D41.jpeg08AF7665-6BEF-41A0-B3BD-249D453AFC04.jpegC9B84A76-6058-4556-865F-E4CB326460A9.jpeg

rob

Just caught up with your posts. I read them a while back. I love the attention to detail - keep going. Can't wait to see it continue to build!

stonemason83

20190208_205243.jpg
Although mine isn't a Newbery I must admit your progress reminds me of my refurbishment a while back
Shoes.?

moonbeam

Hi all, just a little update. I've cut out the rubber stencil and managed to do 3 signs so far, they need touching up to sort the paint bleeds but I kinda happy with them. The top one in the photo is the front sign which is about done, the bottom 2 need more work, I'm thinking when there all finished I'm going to give them a couple of coats of Matt or satin clear varnish and then do a gentle bit of weathering.
As for the rest of the box I've finished 2 of the corner posts and am half way through the third and have made a start on the fourth.
I'm also back on the base now and as soon as that is finished I can start assembling the finished pieces, after that it's time for the doors and the roof!D2D79911-B95F-48F4-9DA2-43D04DA1C15F.jpeg2891F55C-A43A-42E6-B78F-8E026BB6BB6C.jpeg7B6911F4-3A80-4EFC-9E71-5EE11B6E1E7C.jpeg