News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

List of existing Police boxes

Started by domvar, Sep 17, 2011, 08:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

domvar

Sep 17, 2011, 08:57 am Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011, 09:21 pm by domvar
Hi all,

I hope no one minds but I have noticed that there isn't a definitive upto date list of remaining police boxes.

So I thought I would start one with 1 picture of each box (the individual threads have many pictures in them).

1. Last Remaining mk2 Met Box Crich Tramway Museum
crichnew.jpg

2. Sheffield Town Centre
news13_SheffieldPoliceBox.jpg

3. Scarborough Harbour
IMG_0377-02.jpg

4. Faversham Creek
DSC00077.jpg

5. 2 * Mk3 boxes for sale 1 refurbished (sold and location unknown) one still in poor condition
Blue_MK3_Police_box.jpg
more to follow feel free to help out

Scarfwearer

Sep 17, 2011, 10:25 am #1 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011, 11:05 am by Scarfwearer
The list of stickied topics on this board is already intended to be such a list, though it's doubtless incomplete and currently only includes those that are substantially TARDIS-like. It's also possible that some of them no longer exist, but I'm really only working with the information that's been contributed.
This board could probably use more organisation. Generally I've been splitting topics that refer to multiple objects, as they otherwise become a bit of a jumble. I've also thought about separating out the non-TARDIS boxes into another sub-board, and perhaps having a separate sub-board for police posts, since we have quite a few topics about them.
I'd be happy to update the list or work on the organisation some more if there's interest in doing that.

Crispin

domvar

my thinking was have this topic as a list so limit it to 1 picture of each existing box / post leave the individual threads as detailed info about each one.

Up to you as it is your board but it would be nice to have all existing boxes in one place.

For one thing I'd like to compile the info so I can send a message to english heratige to get them listed like the red phone boxes are.

Scarfwearer

I've no problem with that, but someone would need to keep the two lists synchronised, as we're always discovering new ones! I think you just listed another one I haven't seen (Scarborough Harbour), for example.

One possibility is that I could arrange for the list to be auto-generated from the list of sticky topics on this board, picking the source of the thumbnail image for each topic as a full sized image and using the topic title and description as a caption. We could use this on other boards as well. How about I see if I can come up with an auto-summary, which would save you a lot of work collecting the pictures together?

I think at least some of the boxes are already listed by English Heritage. Certainly the Newport box is.
There are other people interested in preserving the police boxes, including http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?action=profile;u=188, who is a member here.
Here's his site: http://website.lineone.net/~civildefence

Crispin

starcross

Sep 18, 2011, 01:49 am #4 Last Edit: Sep 18, 2011, 03:19 pm by starcross
A big list of Police Boxes Eh?

The Tardis like boxes are basically Glasgow, and London. Glasogow copied the design from London, but generally the only Standard Call Boxes were the Posts and Pillars because they were small and cast iron. Everywhere else went with a more local flavour for the larger boxes.

For example there is Edinburgh with its 75 of its original boxes.
Geotags and information Here.

6159138362_44f53f18c1.jpg

Police Post Numbers
Confirmed Survivors = 30 (Should be 38 Not sure which ones aren't on the list)
Unconfirmed = 02
Survivors PA3 = 23
Survivors PA2 = 03
Survivors PA1 = 06

6159156892_1207891aa4.jpg6158619323_e1110e2b6c.jpg6159157812_d5952557b3.jpg
          PA No.1                       PA No.2                        PA No.3             

Funny, I know there are at least a half dozen more that should be on this list.
I'll have to update it a little later.
Anyway list with links to photos and such on my website.

For the record there are 11 Posts on the streets of London. - London Map
Survivor 01) Piccadilly Circus - Fake MP - PA3
Survivor 02) AldGate - PA3
Survivor 03) St Martin's Le Grand - PA3
Survivor 04) Walbrook Street - PA3
Survivor 05) Old Broad Street - PA3 - (Unique Lantern Pole) - Removed Recently
Survivor 06) Victoria Embankment - PA3
Survivor 07) Northwood Police Station (MP) - PA2
Survivor 08) Grovsner Square (MP) - PA2
Survivor 09) Queen Victoria Street - PA3 - Recently Removed
Survivor 10) Liverpool Street - PA3 - Recently Removed
Survivor 11) London Guild Hall Yard - PA3

Several in Private Hands:
Survivor 01) In a Garden - Solihull West Midlands - PA3
Survivor 02) Somewhere in Surrey (MP) - PA3 - Location Unknown - Status Last Photographed mid-2000s
Survivor 03) Garden in Sidcup, Greater London (MP) - PA3
Survivor 04) Garden in Sidcup, Greater London (MP) - PA3
Survivor 05) Sold on Ebay for L2,700 - PA3- buyer located in MacClesfield, United Kingdom

And several in Museums Across the UK.
Survivor 01) The Crich Tram Museum (MP) - PA3
Survivor 02) The Amberley Working Museum - PA3
Survivor 03) The Avoncroft Museum of Historic Buildings - PA3
Survivor 04) National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh - PA3
Survivor 05) Milton Keynes Museum - PA3 (Best decal of London City Police logo)
Survivor 06) Dyfed-Powys Police Station in Llangunnor - PA3
Survivor 07) Police museum in Ripon, Yorkshire - PA3
Survivor 08) Beamish Museum - PA3 - Newly restored

Two in Port-of-Spain in Trinidad
1) One on a street corner - PA3
2) One 1/3 buried in the ground - PA3
And
1) Painted green and found in Tripoli. - PA3 (currently a war zone)

PA1 Police Pollar:
Survivor 01) Avoncroft Museum
Survivor 02) Amberley Museum
Survivor 03) Kent Police Museum
Survivor 04) Outside a Police Station in Hull
Survivor 05) Inside the Strathclyde Police Museum
Survivor 06) Tram Museum (Exact location not yet determined)

Throne

policeboxnut

Quote from: domvar on Sep 17, 2011, 08:57 am

5. 50 * Mk3 boxes for sale I will eat my own pants if they really have 50 of them and they are origional
http://www.uniquelybritish.com/item/policebox.aspx a snip at £25k

more to follow feel free to help out

They are lying; they've only got one which was one of a pair but the one in the picture was refurbed and sold. The other one is in original condition (shocking) and hasn't been sold yet.

'It's only significant if you find significance insignificant' - Slipback

domvar

Sep 18, 2011, 10:24 am #6 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011, 09:31 pm by domvar
6. Rippen Police musium

pp_box.jpg

7. Huddersfield Police box in Almondbury

150px-Police_telephone_box,_Northgate,_Almondbury_-_geograph.org.uk_-_731516.jpg

8. Trafalgar Square
policelanterntrafalgarsquare.jpg

9. Nottingham 1
P1010096.jpg

10. Nottingham 2
goj5.jpg

domvar

Sep 18, 2011, 01:20 pm #7 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011, 09:31 pm by domvar
11. Covent Garden London
514776.jpg

12. Newtown Linford (Leicester 1)
211510_94ce8e8d.jpg

13. Abbey Pumping Station (Leicester 2)
download.jpg

domvar

Sep 19, 2011, 05:49 pm #8 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011, 09:32 pm by domvar
14. Another Sheffield box

businessdesk__1296034339_police_box_Fitzalan_Square.jpg

15. The Newport box
40897_10150288675060324_777680323_14887917_4032213_s.jpg

16. Eastbourne
Eastbourne door 2.JPG

starcross

Sep 22, 2011, 03:59 am #9 Last Edit: Sep 22, 2011, 04:13 am by starcross
Hello everyone,

I've recently discovered a new mapping tool in Google Maps that lets me put down pins where Police Boxes are.

So I've begun to add the 120 I've personally geotagged to the map.
Its a lot of work, but I managed to get most of London, some of Edinburgh, as well as a few places throughout the UK.
Only about 90 to go as of tonight.

I've set the map to allow anyone to edit the map. I'm not sure if People can add to it or not without having signed in with a gmail account or something google. However it seems like a good way to keep a collective list of Boxes.

As a plus you can add notes, which in turn are search-able with google apparently. I've been adding geotag notes to some, and others have links to photos of source information sites.

I'd like to make custom Icons for each box as it allows for it, but for now I have applied a generic set.
A red Telephone for PA1 Pillars, A yellow Gas Pump for Posts, and a blue Ship that looks like the Tardis for boxes.

Cheers.

~Starcross

starcross

Quote from: timerotor on Sep 22, 2011, 11:40 pm
Quote from: Kingpin on Sep 20, 2011, 07:57 pm
Looks like a rubbish attempt at a TARDIS replica to me.  What was the source of the information saying it was a genuine 40s kiosk?

There's also one at a police museum in Kent. It's a genuine concrete box, type 2
which is yet to be documented, and what about the two type 2's in the Restoration yard as antiques?
I was shocked when they were going for 18k but now it's even more!!! :-0

The Police Museum in Kent, has a Glasgow Box, and a Police Pillar.

Bygones, only has the one Mark 3 box now. They had restored one box, but it was sold and has disappeared for about 8 months now. I'm not sure where it was shipped, but someone managed to get a photo of it on a flatbed.

As for the Glasgow Boxes in general, I haven't really kept track of all of them. At one time they had 11 which survived into the 1990s but I think there are only eight still kicking around now? Five in Glasgow, one at Avoncroft, one in Kent, and one in Ward's Restoration yard. Unless the one Ward has is one of the Glasgow Five?

domvar

Sep 23, 2011, 09:25 pm #11 Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011, 09:33 pm by domvar
17. Wakefield Police HQ
WakefieldTC001.jpg

18. Kent Police Museum Glasgow Box
police_box_002.jpg

domvar

Well My info is exhausted any one got any more to add

For Glasgow ones I am hoping Wade can give a more accurate picture of what is where if he is about.

Kingpin

Oct 06, 2011, 01:24 pm #13 Last Edit: Oct 06, 2011, 01:24 pm by Kingpin
There is currently a Police Post stood outside of the Police Station behind the Earl's Court Exhibition Centre on Lillie Road.  I noticed it whilst a group of friends and I went out for a bite to eat during Entertainment Media Show on Sunday.  The post isn't present on Street View, making me wonder if it's one that's been repurposed from another borough of the city.

starcross

Quote from: Kingpin on Oct 06, 2011, 01:24 pm
There is currently a Police Post stood outside of the Police Station behind the Earl's Court Exhibition Centre on Lillie Road.

I looked it up on google maps, I recognize the funny triangular building.
That post has been brought up in the past, but I've never been to it myself.
Its a Metropolitan Post, so its local to London anyway.

The Met Collection museum has only been there Since July 2009, and as far as I know the Street views were taken over the summer in 2008. I think they went Live sometime in Winter 2009, so that explains its absence.

Here is a decent picture of the Post and the front door of the museum.
6218632231_6c93a198a7_z.jpg