Un-named WIP Custom Type 64 TARDIS Console Room

Started by sonicfez, Jul 12, 2016, 12:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sonicfez

Jul 12, 2016, 12:33 pm Last Edit: Jul 12, 2016, 12:37 pm by sonicfez
So, here we have the, well the name is WIP just as the whole room is :D.
Here is an image of the room mostly visible from a front view (plus a custom exterior I made based on the seen in the 80s :P)

Render(2).jpg

Here is a more updated image, featuring an improved rotor. So, along side with the Toyota rotor style light in the center, it also now has Coral rotor style pistons.

RotorProgress.jpg
Stay TARDIS fans, my friends. -Fez

galacticprobe

Jul 13, 2016, 03:59 am #1 Last Edit: Jul 13, 2016, 04:05 am by galacticprobe
She's looking good, Fez! In that first image, I can't shake the feeling that your component atop the column (not quite the Power Octagon of the original console room, and not really the whirligig of the 2013-on console room) looks just like the Fusion Core on the original Jupiter 2 spaceship from the 1960s classic 'Lost In Space'. (And who doesn't love that old classic?)

(Maybe this is your TARDIS' "Power Regulator"?) The faster she travels, the faster the lights rotate: clockwise when travelling forward in time, anticlockwise when travelling backwards; when travelling through "Normal" space (like the TARDIS did chasing Donna's taxi in "Runaway Bride") all of the light segments just pulsate at the same time, but faster or slower depending on how much power the TARDIS is drawing. (Maybe?)

And I love the texture you've given the Police Box shell. Brilliant work so far. I can't wait to see what you've got next.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

sonicfez

Here is a full view of the console room! (I've since added pillars, but I didn't feel like re-rendering it because my laptop is garbage :D) Anyway, to answer Dino's question, it's a whirligig, but, I do like the idea of having it spin based on which direction in time it's going!
Render(4).jpg

sonicfez

Oh, and that thing at the bottom is a reactor.

expendable

Absolutely massive! This will certainly trigger inversion awareness.

There looks to be some sort of cage on top of your reactor, and I see no way of getting down there other than jumping off. Is your reactor reachable? Are there panels or something?

LMC97

Jul 15, 2016, 02:27 am #5 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2016, 02:27 am by LMC97
This is really a interesting design. Let's hope no-one is afraid of heights  ;). Great job.

LMC
Next stop, EVERYWHERE

galacticprobe

Jul 15, 2016, 06:51 am #6 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2016, 06:51 am by galacticprobe
Jeez, that's amazing! I've got this aversion to heights (developed it as I got older), and looking at this image makes me feel a little off (dizzy, a bit weak in the stomach), so that's saying how realistic it looks to my eyes!

And I love the double-sided whirligig; the lights on top as well as on the bottom look well-balanced.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

sonicfez

Quote from: expendable on Jul 15, 2016, 01:36 am
There looks to be some sort of cage on top of your reactor, and I see no way of getting down there other than jumping off. Is your reactor reachable? Are there panels or something?

The reactor is unreachable, as of now. I could add some stairs, though. And, yes there is a "cage" on top of the reactor.

davidnagel

Looking good! This reminds me of some designs I put together in the late 90s for a possible new console room. Maybe I'll ask some kind soul to recreate them in 3d one day...
Regards
David

sonicfez

Quote from: davidnagel on Jul 15, 2016, 03:25 pm
Maybe I'll ask some kind soul to recreate them in 3d one day...

Hey, I could do that for you ;)

sonicfez

Fisheye view of console room (with pillars and slightly different wall/ceiling color)

Render(5).jpg

davidnagel

Wow, talking about outdating the Doctor's TARDIS. I think that crazy architecture really adds to the alien-ness that we'd expect for a space craft from another planet.
Regards
David

galacticprobe

Jul 16, 2016, 07:10 am #12 Last Edit: Jul 16, 2016, 07:11 am by galacticprobe
Quote from: sonicfez on Jul 15, 2016, 01:51 pm
The reactor is unreachable, as of now. I could add some stairs, though. And, yes there is a "cage" on top of the reactor.

Looking good, Fez! For your stairs for accessing the reactor, you could hide them, and just have a door on the bottom level to walk through. (Bit boring, though; isn't it?) You could have some stairs going down from the console platform to a small square landing about halfway down, and then making a 90-degree turn to go down the rest of the way (a la the balcony stairs in Main Mission of Moonbase Alpha from 'Space: 1999'). Or you could have a catwalk extend from the console platform to a spiral staircase that goes all the way down.

I'm partial to the stairs and landing because it lets you put some support struts under the landing to help make things sturdy, but that's just me. Either way, I like where you're going with the design!

Dino.