News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

BioDoctor900's Eccleston/Tennant Console

Started by BioDoctor900, Jul 14, 2012, 12:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BioDoctor900

Jul 14, 2012, 12:23 pm Last Edit: Mar 21, 2015, 04:32 pm by BioDoctor900
Okie Dokie,

So when Doctor Who first came back in 2005, I wanted a TARDIS and TARDIS Console. My First Console I made from a washing basket, it consisted of the top being covered in white paper, it had a paint pot and a dyson cylinder, it was very basic. As time progressed I continued to rebuild and redesign the console. I then got to the stage where I started to look at referance images and plans and started to build it properly.

I saw one person who made a console out of polistyrine, and then saw MD's console on here and thought that I would use a similar design (MD, I'm not trying to copy you, your console is just an inspiration!)

So I used a similar butress design as the one on the console, this was all going smoothly until I moved and in transit it fell over and snapped the butresses. I am now awaiting for some wood from a friend of mine who is a builder so that it doesnt cost me anything for the wood. I have also come across a company that does a 150mm perspex tube, ideal for my console, (mine is 1/2 size) for £30

Anyway after getting frustrated with it lying in a heap, I thought I would start on some of the componants.

BioDoctor900

Ok so here are some pictures of bits I have purchased or made IMG00149-20120711-1809.jpg First photo has a preasure gauge that I paid £6 for. I have placed a gallifreyan symbol on it. Next is a 4 button panel, made from four buttons I picked up for free in an electrical shop mounted on MDF, these will be wired up to do different things. Next is the keyboard panel that sits next to the compass, this is mounted on MDF, the flick switches will also be wired up to do different things. There are some perspex piceces with different gallifreyan text on which will be placed on different panels. Finally is one of the three presure gauges to go on the console. This was made using an olive oil bottle, some MDF, some BBQ skewers, and some 2x2 wood then painted, Yellow, grey and textured with green IMG00150-20120711-1810.jpg This photo has a Pyrene Fire Extinguisher which I bought at a car boot for £4 along with the Stereo Head unit for £15 and the left hand pump for £3. The hand break is one of two I have for the console, which I got for free from a friend. and the other pump was 50p from a car boot, and two weeks after buying it I saw the same one in a charity shop for £25. There are pictures of the old version of the console on google and a video on youtube (BioDoctor900 is my user name) Hope to update soon, thanks for looking BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Jul 14, 2012, 09:21 pm #2 Last Edit: Jul 14, 2012, 09:21 pm by galacticprobe
BioDoctor900! You've no doubt seen me green with envy over M.D.'s console, so I'm going to be watching your build with great interest as well since I only have room in my house for a half-size console, and so far haven't been able to get my sketches or measurements to come together. Sorry to hear about your console frames, though. That would seriously bum me out.

Good luck with your build. Maybe between M.D. and you, I'll be able to get things to come together enough so my sketches don't look like crap. Then my wife and I can start building.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

the mister

ah yes! yours was the first modern series home made console I ever saw. Its fantastic! I'm very impressed how you made it so accurate and effective looking by such simple means. These new parts you've got are ace!

BioDoctor900

Thank you both, originally my console was made from cardboard and lots of selotape, but I want it to last and look like the real thing. Because of the way i was brought up, I've always tried to make things cheaply, and try to make them look good, hence the reason I purchase a lot of stuff from car boot sales and charity shops, or even old bits around the house

To help you out GalacticProbe my console is 4ft wide and up to the bottom of the neck, the console stands just above my waist, (I'm 5ft 11") The real console is about 6ft or more. I hope that helps

BioDoctor900

galacticprobe

Jul 15, 2012, 04:03 pm #5 Last Edit: Jul 15, 2012, 04:05 pm by galacticprobe
That's about the maximum room I have to use: 4 feet. So that might work for me. How wide did you make the ribs on your console (the 2 wider ones and the 4 thinner ones)? I'm 5'9" (used to be 5'10" before all those back surgeries!) so the overall console size would be good for me.

Can you tell us more on the company that makes the perspex tube you're using for your column? That's one of the pieces I'm really having trouble tracking down that doesn't cost a couple of hundred US dollars (which is waaaay out of my price range).

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

museumdave

Hey Biodoctor,

you have some great pieces, those are fantastic.  The glass gauge, pumps and fire extinguisher are right on- haven't seen anything like that at any car boot sale around here... more's the pity.

I loved the overall look and feel of the console of yours I saw on line.  if you are starting a new on or adding these bits to your old one that will be increadable. - love to see pic when you get around to it.  also would be quite interested in seeing this buttress of yours...

cheers

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

FloppyDiskNinja

Wat up, other 9th/10th tardis builder.  8)
I would like to help both you and MD out with some hardcore googleing and will post what I can on MD's page, I can't wait to see this stuff
come together and hope to see more people trying to build this this in the future.
happy building,

ciao
FloppyDiskNinja out   :P

museumdave

Hey Biodoctor,

is there a chance of you sharing an image of the connection panel form the back of the stereo you mentioned?  The one like the 2005 console arm knobby bit?

- would still love to see the coral column you mentioned.... Don't want to bug ya, but don't hold out on us- we are all friends here ;)
sharing is good.

Thanks

Dave
"I could retire and be the curator of this place,"  the 11th doctor or maybe the 12th?

BioDoctor900

Hey MuseumDave,

I finnaly found the pictures of my old console in a draw, ive scanned them, and tried to upload them but the files were too large,so will try again some time soon, will also find an image of that on google

BioDoctor900

BioDoctor900

Right so I've finally found my pictures of the old versions of the console, baring in mind that the console has been re-built several times

The 1st set is not the first console, but is one of the earlier made ones. It was made of cardboard, selotape, dyson cylinders, and bits Id found around the house:

Untitled 1.png

Untitled 2#.png

Untitled 3.png

Untitled 4.png

Untitled 5.png

Untitled 6.png

Untitled 7.png

Untitled 8.png

Untitled.png

This is another set of photos of the console, but this is a later version, this was made using wood, perspex, green fairy lights, computer and bits found around the house

TARDIS_Console_1_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

TARDIS_Console_2_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

TARDIS_Console_3_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

TARDIS_Console_4_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

TARDIS_Console_5_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

TARDIS_Console_6_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

TARDIS_Console_7_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

TARDIS_Console_8_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

TARDIS_Console_9_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

TARDIS_Console_by_Biodoctor900.jpg

Hope that you like what you've seen and hopefully my new build starts soon

Thanks for looking

BioDoctor900

BioDoctor900

FloppyDiskNinja

Sep 16, 2012, 03:51 am #12 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2012, 10:45 am by FloppyDiskNinja
It Was You!
I have seen this on youtube and went on here just to see who made it, this console is what took me to this page!
The house bits actually look really good.
I feel good now I know who did it.

Loving the Floppy Disk Drives,
(try piffing a floppy disk, a heap of fun) :-)
-FloppyDiskNinja

galacticprobe

Sep 17, 2012, 03:33 am #13 Last Edit: Sep 17, 2012, 03:36 am by galacticprobe
BioDoctor, how did you make the rim around the edge of the console during the rebuild? (Actually, that should be upgrade.) It looks fantastic!

Dino.

BioDoctor900

It's Pipe insulation, painted brown and black permanat marker pen for the recesses. Total cost £0.00, although unless you use something like PVA it flakes off

BioDoctor900