Apr 19, 2024, 11:30 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

What Bench/table saw?

Started by little_logopolitan, Aug 17, 2016, 06:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

little_logopolitan

Once we get back from our holiday to the states, me and my son are planning on starting our TYJ Tardis Build. We're using marine plywood as it'll be for the outside.

I'd be interested to know what UK available saws people would recommend. I watched one particular video diary where the guy seemed to be using a Titan bench saw which is very cheaply priced at Screwfix. However, what are people's experiences and recommendations.

I've looked at reviews, but as some people on here will have used the saw for the exact same purpose as we are planning to, nothing beats 1st first hand experience.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

scottn

I bought the cheap Titan saw you refer to specifically for Tardis building purposes but, having only recently started my build, I'm not sure I can tell you much about it.

It seems pretty decent from my point of view. The bevel angle adjustment is a bit dodgy, but I use a T-square to make sure that the blade is at 90º to the table rather than rely on the machine's scale. Adjustments have been necessary too as a result of checking it this way. For the bevel on my base pieces it did a good job - again I set the angle by eye/ruler/protractor rather than care what number was on the scale.

I've certainly not used it in anger yet, but I'm planning on doing some bits with it this weekend so I'll let you know how they go. For the price I do think the table saw is a no brainer - it's certainly only going to help you build your police box, and there's always filler if something goes wrong!

Good luck.

Senseidale

With most beach/ saws the blade that come with then are Rip blade and do not give (I find ) a nice clean cut, I brought a new fine/ thinner saw blade and noticed straight away that the wood / ply wood cut cleanly, also I ditched the adjustable aluminium stop rail because it tended go out of line leaving me with pice of timber out of line notably on larger  pieces of timber, I used a length of straight pine that  is the whole length of the table and used claps to hold in place when cutting.
I also purchased a sliding mitre chop saw again changed the blade, more expense I know, but saved loads of time.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your build looking forward to seeing lots of pics.

Regards D :)
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important"