News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

2005 NST TARDIS Lamp

Started by chainsaw, Jul 06, 2009, 03:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nesshane

Jul 10, 2007, 11:28 am #30 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 06:37 pm by mordrogyn
Great find Kingbee
I have had friends bring them to me from the UK and I've done the alterations to the metal work if anyone needs advice.
Picture link is attached.

Cheers - Shane

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x212/nesshane/?action=view&current=IMG_5736.jpg

mugsyuk

Aug 27, 2007, 08:45 pm #31 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 06:39 pm by mordrogyn
HI I dont know about anyone else but I'm really struggling to locate one of the afore mentioned lamps, if anyone knows where I can get hold of one I'd really appreciate it. Or even if they can give me the name of the manufacturer, cheers

In the mean time I've found these which are about a tenner and can be realatively eaisly adapted

fest06.gif
fest03.gif

Hope thats of use to someone

chriskingbees

Aug 27, 2007, 09:17 pm #32 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 06:41 pm by mordrogyn
Hi Mugsy
I've got one left £9.99 plus PnP if you need it.
KB

mugsyuk

Aug 27, 2007, 09:29 pm #33 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 06:42 pm by mordrogyn
Cheers Chris, as luck would have it, well my luck anyway, I checked evilbay this morning  - nothing so i went on a drive round and picked up a bird feeder, had a quick look again on evilbay and there it was, so I grabbed it.

Thanks for the offer tho mate its much appreciated, youre a star, but I'm sure someone in the same boat as me will gladly take it off your hands.

slidin_sidewayz

Nov 21, 2009, 11:37 pm #34 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 06:43 pm by mordrogyn
ME!!!

Doctor Iz

Jul 13, 2008, 02:23 am #35 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:13 pm by mordrogyn
Rick,

I have the same garden lanterns that were sent to me by a dear friend from DYI of the UK.  Same lanterns indeed.  I have yet to make the incision and excise the connecting brass piece containing the vent holes.  I am sure some else on TR2 can comment on the exact procedure, but you it appears you have the real McCoy!  What store did find the lantern if you don't mind me asking....

Good luck with your build!

Cheers!
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

kalarcana

Jul 13, 2008, 05:06 am #36 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:15 pm by mordrogyn
Jon,

The picture I used in the first post was from the "I need measurements" thread.  I had to go back to the store tonight and take pictures of the ones there.  I still believe that the ones I found are a match for the real deals.  What do you think?

DSC07541.jpg

DSC07542.jpg

I actually found these at a Home Depot here in town.  I was looking for an outdoor thermometer and saw these in the same isle.  I started twitching immediately.  :D  And please forgive me.  I still haven't figured out how to use thumbnails with photobucket yet.

Rick

Doctor Iz

Jul 13, 2008, 01:20 pm #37 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:16 pm by mordrogyn
Rick,

1)  Good find at the Home Depot.  This is the correct lantern.  You will have to cut the connecting vent holes aspect out and bring both disks portions together.  I am not sure if folks are gluing or soldering the two disks together.  The top cone with the ring, I believe has to come off as well, but I would wait for more comments before taking a Dremel tool to it.

2) Picture sizing: Using thumbnails is the way to go here. Less bandwidth issues.  All you have to do is check which pics your going to use, then a the bottom of the page there will be a button that states something like 'generate HTML and IMG codes'.  After that, several boxes show up with options to what application you will use for these thumbnails, pick: IMG clickable thumbnails for message boards - recommended 

Then highlight all thumbnail addresses in that box, cut and paste them into your post on TR2.  Preview the links after posting to see how they will appear before finalizing.  Viola!  ;)

Cheers,
Jon~
(http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/jonizdo/Logos/DRIZ_rev20080226copy-2.jpg)

karsthotep

Jul 13, 2008, 01:27 pm #38 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:17 pm by mordrogyn
Wow, that is an awesome find, I had been looking at local home depots for some time and nothing.  I eventually asked TimeGirl and she was kind enough to send me one that she had.  Nice catch

Karsten
I want notes, lists and answers by the time I finish this here Juicy-a-Box! WARNING: I am Thirst-ay! And it is Fruit Punch! And it is Delicious!"

kalarcana

Jul 15, 2008, 12:03 am #39 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:17 pm by mordrogyn
OK.  I just got home with my new lamp.  ;D  I wanted to share the information on it with anyone who could use it.  I'm guessing this would benefit those in the U.S. the most but it might provide some new info for our friends on the other side of the pond.

The lamp was from Garden Treasures.  It's labeled as a Decorative Candle Lantern.  The size is 8.25 inches by 14.5 inches.  The model number is #GT07-1286 and the item number is #152573.  Surprisingly they listed it as being distributed by the following:

Bel Air Lighting
28104 Witherspoon Parkway
Valencia, CA  91355.

I hope this information helps others find what they need.  But, my local store did have 4 more in stock when I bought mine if people run into dead ends.

That said, now I can finally get started on my own Tardis.  I had been telling myself I'd build whichever version that I was able to find the lamp.  I'm asking for suggestions/inputs.  I've been thinking today at work about building a hybrid between the OS and NS Tardis.  I was thinking of using the NS signs, door panel, lamp, and possibly the windows with the rest being in the OS style.  I was also thinking of building her somewhere between the sizes of the season 18 and NS one.

I thought there had been some discussion on the old board about hybrids.  What do you think?  Am I nuts?  Should I change parts around or stick with either OS or NS?  Once I get Sketch-up I was going to try to make a mock-up of the hybrid.  Again, suggestions and input are most welcome.

Rick

edited because I can't spell

Doctor Iz

Jul 15, 2008, 12:40 am #40 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:19 pm by mordrogyn
Great work mate!  I am sure this will help out some fellow TR2 members!!!

Good luck with getting your build underway.  We will be eager to see some pics when available.

Cheers

DoctorWho8

Jul 15, 2008, 02:41 am #41 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:20 pm by mordrogyn
Quote from: kalarcana board=build thread=824 post=15059 time=1216080214thought there had been some discussion on the old board about hybrids.  What do you think?  I'm I nuts?  Should I change parts around or stick with either OS or NS?  Once I get Sketch-up I was going to try to make a mock-up of the hybrid.  Again, suggestions and input are most welcome.

Rick

I have layouts I can manipulate for you of the NS TARDIS and modify it to into the hybrid you want.
Bill Rudloff

djohn

Jul 16, 2008, 10:23 pm #42 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:21 pm by mordrogyn
go for the hybrid...i love the new tardis but it doesnt have the step lintle above the door...my build is a hybrid...there are so many different variants anyway..good luck with watever you choose and enjoy your build

kalarcana

Jul 17, 2008, 12:59 am #43 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:21 pm by mordrogyn
Thank you for your input.  The more I think about it I will most likely do some sort of a hybrid.  I'm just trying to see what it will look like first.  And I'm off this weekend to update pricing for the lumber.

Rick

geminitimelord

Jul 17, 2008, 04:48 am #44 Last Edit: Feb 22, 2010, 08:22 pm by mordrogyn
A TARDIS with a proper working Chameleon circuit will become any shape. Who is to say the Hybrid isnt what it was replicating? Just be glad it got stuck in the shape of the Metropolitan Police box instead of a Portable Toilet or our Neighbors would all think we were nuts building replica Outhouses!