Apr 19, 2024, 06:54 am

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

Original Console Control Panels

Started by tony farrell, Dec 14, 2014, 09:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Dec 14, 2014, 09:34 am Last Edit: Dec 14, 2014, 12:28 pm by Tony Farrell
I'm delighted that Chris Petts has sent me the following information regarding the controls on the sixth panel of his brilliant console build:

Large Grey Lever.

The base is 3" x 9" and approx 3/8" deep with approx 1/8" 45 degree bevel. The curved section has an effective overall diameter of 10", is 7.5" long and 1.5" high and 2" wide. The centre slot is 3/8" wide, curved at each end and reaches to approx 1.5" distance from the base at each end.
The black knob is a standard old bakelite radio knob of 2 3/8" diameter - though with a thinner base than mine has. Tricky to find these.
Screws to attach - 10 mm from each edge, 1/8" head domed slot head. Black.

Black strips above and to the sides

I have made these from 1mm black styrene. The originals may well have been the same.
All black strips are 1/2" width.
Strip above approx 11" long.
Strips either side approx 4.5" long

Ping-pong lights
1.5" diameter. The surrounds are 2.5" diameter and 2mm thick. Possibly a bit thicker on the original.
Screws to attach. Countersunk black flat 3/16"slot headed.

Lamp displays
Surrounds are in two ring sections, both 1/8" thick, I think.
Lower - 4.75" outer diameter, 3.5" inner diameter (might have to re-check inner)
Upper - 4.5" outer diameter, 3.25" inner diameter.
Lamp used - Wipac 267, red.
3 countersunk screws covered.

Bank of five small levers
Plate supporting the switches - 8" x 4.5". Around 4mm thick (possibly less on original)
Each switch - 4" long; 1" high; 1 1/8" wide at base. Extended circle diameter 5".
Tapers slightly to top - to 1" wide. Slot 1.5" long; 3/8" wide.
Lever in two sections. Wider section (6mm?) 3/8" visible above lever. Thinner section (4mm?) 1" visible.
Spherical knob on top 16mm diameter.

From this information, using the same 'perspective line' techniques as explained in http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=4825.0, I've prepared a little present for all Tardis Builders..... Well, it is nearly Christmas! (The Panel numbering follows that used in DWM number 79.)

Enjoy!

Tony

console 3 sides rob.png
console top two sides.png
console underside.png
console panel master 24 pixels per inch leave as is.png
Principal Control Dimensions with Drawings.png
1st panel.png2nd panel.png3rd panel.png
4th panel.png5th panel.png6th panel.png

Rassilons Rod

In the cities in the streets there's a tension you can feel,
The breaking strain is fast approaching, guns and riots.
Politicians gamble and lie to save their skins,
And the press get fed the scapegoats,
Public Enema Number One.

tony farrell

Rassilons Rod

Public Enema Number One.

Rassilons Rod

Good luck with the latterly added controls ;)
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2014, 07:29 pm #5 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2014, 08:06 pm by galacticprobe
Outstanding work on those panels, Tony! Panel 4 needs just a little tweak with that one "upside-down 'T'" control. That horizontal slot/stripe/whatever it is should have its horizontal part the same length on both sides of the vertical. (See the modified control here:)
4th panel.jpg
Note that little control under the right-hand meter. It was later in the Hartnell era when those "slots" started to disappear, but when they did, the knob always stayed in what was left of the slot. Here's the best grab of that panel I've got showing the full upside-down "T" and the knob:
Panel4Grab.jpg

Also, on Panel 6, those two silver swivel levers should be a little more "inward" (closer to the Demat Lever - not much, just a tad, so they sit at about 45 degrees to the light above them:
6th panel.jpg
They're not quite as on top of those large circular controls below them:
Pandl6Grab.JPG
(I wish I had a better grab of this panel, but this is the best one I've got.) You can see that you're almost bang on. Just shift those two little handles a bit more towards the center of the panel and you'll have it. (It looks like their circular "base" lines up with the outer edge of the bezel of the circular control below them.)

I love this console - it's tied with the 2005 for my #1 favorite - and I think you've done a magnificent job with these diagrams, and a full BRAVO! to Chris (celation) for the console he's built, and for helping you get this drawings done.

Superb! Maybe one day, if I ever get the room, I'll build this console. (Until the New Series premiered, this was always the console I was planning to build. Now I need room for this one and the 2005 console! I really need a new, bigger house!) Your measurements will be a humungous help with getting things right! A huge THANK YOU to both you and Chris for these. I just can't praise this effort and the results enough!

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

markofrani

Great work Tony!
Maybe this pic might help...
hartnell.jpg

galacticprobe

Dec 14, 2014, 09:49 pm #7 Last Edit: Dec 14, 2014, 09:50 pm by galacticprobe
Whoa! Markofrani, where did you find that great image! (And are there any other such images of the Whoniverse to be found?)

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

silverfox

Absolutely fantastic work, as usual.
This is the kind of thing that keeps me eagerly checking for updates on the site.
I would have killed for this when I was building my virtual console.

tony farrell

Quote from: markofrani on Dec 14, 2014, 08:38 pm
Great work Tony!
Maybe this pic might help...
hartnell.jpg

Thanks Jonathan. As always you are a great source of information.

The angle at which this was taken makes it difficult to judge the position of the 'handle' levers exactly. They do appear to be slightly closer together than I had placed them, but not as near to each other as Dino has placed them.

Dino, the grab from 'An Unearthly Child' is too poor for you to assert the presence of an inverted T piece from this picture alone: Where you see a small strip to the right of the bakelite knob , I see nothing more than a shadow (which isn't even at the same level as the back-to-front 'L' to the left of the knob). A Monday morning challenge for you Dino - find a decent picture that shows the existence of the small strip you refer to and I'll add it to my drawing!

Thanks Silverfox - much appreciated. I think that over the last two years, we've come a long way; from a starting point where we had no plans at all, thanks to people like Nathan (Warmcanofcoke), Chris (Celation), Lespaceplie, Rob, etc., etc., we now have plans which effectively cover the first twenty five years of the Tardis' Control Room's history and I hope - in a small way - that I've managed to contribute to this growth of knowledge. 

Tony

galacticprobe

Dec 15, 2014, 09:22 pm #10 Last Edit: Dec 15, 2014, 09:25 pm by galacticprobe
Tony, I think it's safe to say that you were the spearhead when it comes to that "growth of knowledge" you speak of, especially with mapping out and measuring the original Hartnell console room and the component parts in it.

Now you've got me on the hunt for a better image of that panel with the inverted "T" control. That's what I always thought it was, and now you've got me doubting myself! (Which, by the way, I do enough on my own these days! ;)) I'll let you know what I find out, and in the meantime if someone else here finds a better image of that panel with the two wide-spaced meters and the "inverted T" control, by all means please post it! Help solve that mystery.

As for those "handle" controls on Panel 6, since it's so hard to really tell what their positioning is, what say you split the difference (since you created the original drawing) between where you placed them, and where I did, and we'll see how that looks?

Dino.

tony farrell

I've been doing some more research Dino - will reply tonight! Oooh.... How very mysterious!

Rassilons Rod

Dec 16, 2014, 08:39 am #12 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2014, 08:40 am by rassilonsrod
Can I suggest one revision please?

I think for the control panels themselves, it would also be useful to have the width of the bottom edge, rather than just the width of the outside of the outer fascia. And therefore the overall depth of the panel, not including that fascia :)
Public Enema Number One.

galacticprobe

Dec 16, 2014, 06:01 pm #13 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2014, 06:01 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Dec 16, 2014, 06:37 am
I've been doing some more research Dino - will reply tonight! Oooh.... How very mysterious!

I'm definitely looking forward to that! :o

Dino.

tony farrell

Dec 16, 2014, 08:31 pm #14 Last Edit: Dec 16, 2014, 09:23 pm by Tony Farrell
Quote from: rassilonsrod on Dec 16, 2014, 08:39 am
Can I suggest one revision please?

I think for the control panels themselves, it would also be useful to have the width of the bottom edge, rather than just the width of the outside of the outer fascia. And therefore the overall depth of the panel, not including that fascia :)

Yes Marc, will do. An interesting point here is the slight difference in sizes between my drawings of the console and Chris' brilliant recreation. The overall width including fascia on my drawings is 42 inches. Chris has made this the width of the panels excluding the fascia. Anyone wanting to study my drawings in detail will therefore find the controls on my drawings are very slightly nearer together. I have however - like Chris - tried to replicate the slight uneven spacing on things like the piano switches but haven't (like Chris again) included uneven levels of the secondary levers on their plates.

An example of including the uneven spacings between the piano switches can be seen here:

2nd panel.png

Whereas the uneven mounting of the small (secondary) levers in this snap have been excluded:

ScreenShot2014-01-23at34033PM2_zps87edf415.png