Mar 28, 2024, 05:46 pm

News:

New, New TardisBuilders!

The Rani's Console Room Set

Started by oslm, Oct 25, 2016, 09:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tony farrell

Thanks for the clarification - I thought I was going dotty (well, even more dotty  :))!

T

lespaceplie

I edited the last diagram. There was a render error on the diameter of the belt. For simplicity, I'm leaving the belt height dim at 11 cm. As suggested earlier, the trim shortens the outer size. You'd really have to go out of your way to build this with such a strange dim, but it must be shorter than 12 cm. I'm supposing the internal support "ribs" had 10 cm tall edges that were then attached to a board at the bottom of 5 mm thick. After the panels are added, the top edge of the belt is trimmed (trimmed before being fitted on, at least). The total height ends up being dictated by the materials rather than meeting a specific dim from the plans. We'll never know since this one is likely in a landfill now.

tony farrell

Feb 09, 2017, 12:41 am #32 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2017, 12:43 am by Tony Farrell
Quote from: lespaceplie on Feb 08, 2017, 11:12 pm
I edited the last diagram. There was a render error on the diameter of the belt. For simplicity, I'm leaving the belt height dim at 11 cm. As suggested earlier, the trim shortens the outer size. You'd really have to go out of your way to build this with such a strange dim, but it must be shorter than 12 cm.

I think possibly I haven't expressed myself clearly. The figure of 110.67 mm was purely a mathematical calculation based on the pixel count for the height of the belt from your HD photograph. I wasn't in anyway suggesting that anyone would design something with that precise measurement.

I think the intention was indeed a belt height of 110mm and any slight deviation from this 'target' figure was probably down to how much was sanded off when the belt was fitted!  

After all, as you suggest, the Rani's Tardis Console was originally intended for a single-use (though I believe J N-T asked for the set to be subject to a 'preservation order' for proposed re-use but the series' hiatus put paid to that idea) and as the mis-alignment of the hemispheres demonstrates, it can hardly be described as a perfectly constructed prop/piece of scenery!

I think your revised diagram is excellent and is as close as anyone is going to get to the actual dimensions!  :)

T

P.S., is there a reference topic for this set?

oslm

Feb 09, 2017, 12:45 am #33 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2017, 02:05 am by oslm
Hi guys,

I based the height of the belt on the 112 mm (which works out to 4.48 inches or rounded up to 4.5 inches) -- Gene's drawing height of
11 cm equals 4.4 inches and the 12 cm height equals 4.8 inches, so the 11 cm works the best --

The hemispheres are based on the 100 mm diameter and are spaced at 11.25 degrees apart from
each other for a total of 32 hemispheres on the belt -- The 3D program that I use has them centered perfectly on the
belt, but in real life (as seen in the picture) they are either slightly above or below the center line of the belt

The belts inner and outer dimensions are 1344 mm (outer) and 1330 mm (inner) -- This works out to be 53.75" (outer) and 53.2" (inner)
diameters so I would say the belt has a thickness of 0.5" or 13 mm

I am going to test out the rest of the console based on the last drawing Gene uploaded, hopefully I will get it done within the next few hours
and uploaded later tonight --

galacticprobe

Feb 09, 2017, 03:55 pm #34 Last Edit: Feb 09, 2017, 03:58 pm by galacticprobe
Quote from: Tony Farrell on Feb 09, 2017, 12:41 am
P.S., is there a reference topic for this set?

There is, Tony: http://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?board=155.0. There are only three threads in it at the moment: one for the Console, one for the Studio Plans, and one for the Rani TARDIS Interior, which may have some duplicate images from the thread on the Console.

Dino.
"What's wrong with being childish?! I like being childish." -3rd Doctor, "Terror of the Autons"

tony farrell

Thanks Dino! I knew you'd know!!

T

oslm

After using the new set of calculations for the console and trying my best to photo match the reference Image, this is how it looks now --

new%20console%20compare_zpss0qri6be.png

I will be away for the next few weeks, so when i get back I will do a better camera match and re add some of the controls I already made --

Later

lespaceplie

I think possibly I haven't expressed myself clearly. The figure of 110.67 mm was purely a mathematical calculation...
[/quote]

Your figure was fine. I was just explaining how the belt could have odd dims due to construction.

oslm

Time for an update on this set --

console closeup image.png

I now have the basic layout for the controls all worked out and it is just going thru and doing some
reworking of there heights and shapes --

Once I have added the last of the details, I plan to do a full set of images showing the different
sides of the console and the room -- If all goes well, I will also try to render out a small video test of
the central rotor in motion --

Later

Oslm

oslm

All the control panels have been added and the console looks great --

Rani console 1.png

Rani console 2.png

Rani console 3.png

all that is left to do is work on the central column movement and then put together something --

Later

Oslm

oslm

Well it's been a couple of years and it's time for an update --

Since most of this set has been made and I have direct access to a 3D printer now --

New 3D Print.jpg

At this rate I should have all of the parts seen in this thread printed, hopefully not spread out over too many years.

Later

Oslm.

d33j r093r5

Hey Oslm, nice work on the console :) .

I'm currently working on my own version as well (https://tardisbuilders.com/index.php?topic=10721.msg128719#msg128719), and am using similar source material as you have (which isn't so surprising really, there's not much available  :-\ ), including the original console room plans, lespaceplie's drawings, and a plethora of screen grabs and downloaded images.

Am curious to know what you did with regard to the controls on the side of the console that we never get to see. Did you wing it, best guess, or did you have access to some info I've not been able to get my hands on?

If you have extra info, could you share it?  ;D ;D ;D ;D Pretty please? Obviously, like every other perfectionist here, I would like to model the most accurate console I can. I can live with a best guess, provided there isn't any extra information in existence with which to reference from.

I can see you haven't posted since January this year; Am guessing console projects had to take a back seat to the other more unfortunate goings on of this year  :'( . Hope everything is ok, and / or things return to normal for you soon if it isn't. Look forward to seeing more posts of your build in future. :) 

D.
ERROR READING DRIVE C: (A)BORT, (R)ETRY, (F)AIL (I)GNORE?

elkad

Do you have an animated video on YouTube?